Recurve Bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Carp Killer, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I sold my mathews switchback on ebay a few weeks back and bought a new martin dreamcatcher recuve.I LOVE IT. I don't know if i could or even would ever go back to shooting a compound.Shooting a recurve is a blast.It brought back the fun in shooting bows again.I definantly need some practice but thats to be expected.Anyone looking for a change needs to buy a recurve.I,m looking forward to going to some 3-d shoots again.

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i started a thread on traditional bows awhile back, im saving for a bear longbow right now. it is great. ive shot my dads bear recurve and i love shooting stick style bows. alot more than cowpounds. must be a big change goin from a switchback to a recurve.

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Stick bows are the only way to go! I just got a great deal on an old American Archery recurve from Ebay. My compounds haven't been out of the cases in years. Maybe I'll make lamps out of them! LOL

4. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    YOU SOLD A MATHEWS SWITCHBACK! What was wrong with it/ what did you not like about it? If I had that bow I would probably never let go of it. I geuss i shouldnt talk. I have never had one.

5. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hey Justin,
    Did then same thing here. I made the switch in December and my Trycon hasn't been out of the case since. Well once, I loaned out my release so that tells you how much I plan on shooting it in the near future.
    I have only seen pics of the Dream Catcher but sure looks like a beautiful bow. I have been picking up some 60's and early 70's bows off ebay. Bears, Ben Pearsons, 1 Hoyt for my wife, a Wing, an 18lb little bear for the grandkids and a Damon Howatt 30lb lefty.
    I can't wait to get home every night so I can shoot. It was never like that with my compounds.
    Tight Lines
    Danny J

6. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Last year was my first time using a recurve and it is a challenge but it is the only way to go. When you use a recurve you hone the skills of hand eye cordination and you rely on your instinct. I would much rather rely on my true instict than some fiber optic sight on a compound bow. Shoot a recurve as an extension of your body, focus and burn a hole with your eyes on a spot of your target and you will be more acurate than with sights.

7. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    BIG change from a super nice mathews to a recurve but well worth it.Once you get the recurve bug its in your blood for good.They are just so much fun to shoot.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    You got that right! I've been doing it for 31 years and have taken a lot of game with it. No sights, no release, no rest, no peeps, no wheels, no cables, to worry about messing up. It's always sighted in, it's quieter, it's lighter, you can shoot quicker, shoot behind you, under you, distance doesn't matter, and it's much cheaper!

9. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Love those "stick bows," but unfortunately time catches up with most of us and we have to switch back to compounds if we want to continue to hunt. Shoulders don't work like they used to. The sport has come full circle and traditional bows seem to be the "NEW" wave......... There are nearly as many "traditional" bows showing up on my home "range" as compounds. Good luck on those 3D shoots.

10. Okie Jim

Okie Jim New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I been shooting stick bows only for the last 14 yrs. and its been a blast. We are getting more people show up at the 3 D shoots with recurves and long bows and this year at deer camp there was 5 stick shooters there with every one shooting a bow that I used to own and had sold to them.
    Be careful it becomes addicting.