Rectifier--what is it?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by TOPS, Jun 29, 2007.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    MY buddy has a 115 merc, will not charge, Someone told the rectifier may be bad! what is a rectifier?

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Oh and to answer your Q,

The only "Rectifier" I know of converts AC to DC.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    AC (alternating current) flows forwards and backwards, in alternating cycles. A rectifier allows it to flow only one direction, effectively turning AC into DC.

The alternator on your boat motor generates an AC waveform; to charge the battery, you need to convert that to DC. That's the purpose of the rectifier.

4. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks to the BOC, another problem has been rectified:roll_eyes:

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Top there is a simple test that can be done to test it. Get me the year it was built or the serial number and I'll find the year.
    Tell him no you can't take a battery cable off and test it. That action will fry one.

6. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    to check the charging system, you check the voltage out of the recifier. at 2000 it should read about 14 volts. if it does't, then disconnect the 2 wires that come from under the flywheel to the input side of the rectifier & take a multimeter & check each lead to ground. if ether lead has a ground in it the stater is bad. if the stater is goog then the rectifier is bad. hope this helps.

robin catmanfl

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Willard the serial number on the motor is 6526924, Merc. 6 cycl. What year model is this. I also need a fuel gague for this boat. What cost am I looking at.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Top that is a 1984 tower of power merc. Hard running old engines but will only run real good on NGK plugs.
    As for the fuel gauge I'll look and see what one would cost you. I am assuming with an engine that big you have an built in tank.

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    It does have a built-in tank and yes NKG plugs.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Top that gage is going to cost any where from 25 to 35 plus shipping.

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Can you get it for me? I will send you a Money order after I get the ok from Him. I will let you know something in a couple days.

12. Cajun

Cajun New Member

State:
    Kolin, Louisiana
    I have a 90 Merc and was not charging and was told to get the rectifier and it would cure my problems and sure nuff it did so everything is great on the water now :0a26: