Recreational Gold Prospecting and Mining

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cincycatman, Oct 12, 2005.

1. cincycatman

cincycatman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've always been interested in gold prospecting and panning for gold. The town I live in used to have a gold mining company along the river so I know there's gold in there, the East Fork of the Little Miami River in Batavia, Ohio. Just looking for some brothers with similar interests in gold prospecting and panning and such to discuss techniques, strategies and other general information. I'd like to see if there are any other members who are interested in getting started in gold prospecting as I am or if there are any experienced members in recreational gold prospecting that can lend advice and such...

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    cincy my bro in law does it and seems to have a good time while doing it. It does look really relaxing. He has gotten some gold flakes thats pretty much all you will get here in Ohio. If you want Ill let him know someone else is interested and email or call him to put you two in touch and he should be answer your questions.

3. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
  4. cincycatman

cincycatman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey, Ryang, yea let your brother in law know, don't know if I'll be getting out anymore this year with the weather and such but give him my email, its Brad_af@hotmail.com, if he's located around SW Ohio we might be able to get together, I'm right in the middle of Clermont Co which is a hot spot in OH for gold prospecting between the East Fork of the Little Miami River and Stonelick Creek. Yea I know its only flakes around these parts but I'd just like to be able to find some gold in the river I've grown up fishing.

5. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Armynavy has a good lead. Gold Fever. one of the most interesting shows out there on all forms of Gold mining, Panning, dredging. Hosted by Tom/ Tim Masse, They run it on the Outdoor channel (Satellite or cable)

6. cincycatman

cincycatman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    To anyone interested -

The Gold Prospecting Association of America Gold and Treasure Show
    October 22 - 23 2005
    Montgomery County Fairgrounds
    1043 South Main St
    Dayton, OH 45409
    937-224-1619

Show Days: Saturday & Sunday Show Times: 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
    General Admission: $5.00 Children Under 12 are Free !!

Free vial with placer gold to the first 100 paid attendees!

Gold Panning Contest:
    Saturday at Noon. $5.00 entry fee. Winner takes all and a Copper Pan Trophy.

Mucking Contest:
    Saturdays at 3:00 PM. $5.00 entry fee. Winner takes all and a Winner's Plaque.

Major Door Prizes:
    4:00 PM on Saturday and Sunday. Must be present to win.

7. Nativeborn Desertrat

Nativeborn Desertrat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You still looking for someone to go prospecting? I'm in the area for a while and wouldn't mind finding some Ohio gold.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've done a little panning and dredging, here in NC.

This state was famous for it's gold mining prior to the gold rush of 1849 in Ca. There's still plenty left here.
    http://www.ncmuseumofhistory.org/collateral/articles/S06.gold.rush.pdf

Here's the latest place to open up for a pay to mine area.
    http://bearfootgold.com/.

One of the fellas I met this past spring, found a few nuggets recently at the Bearfoot area. I hope to be spending a week there in the late spring.

It's not all that far from Ohio.

9. Nativeborn Desertrat

State:
    Arizona
    I've found some in Arizona, that is southern Arizona. Usually spend $10-$15 in gas to find $5 in gold. Some days though, I saw one guy find a nic picker worth about $200 - $300. I've not been that fortunate.

I'm up from Az for my dad. He's in a bad way, cancer... I've brought with me a small sluice that I've put almost 5,000 miles on and yet to get it in the water.:smile2: Too bad its the trueth.

10. Nativeborn Desertrat

State:
    Arizona
    Well that post will teach me to proof read even when I'm tired.

He had a "nice picker" not a nic picker. A picker is a small nugget, but big enough to pick up with fingers.

My sluice does have almost 5,000 miles on it. Thats how many miles I have hauled it around, but because of circumstances not been able to go prospecting with it.

And sadly,

My Dad is in a bad way, If you would, pray for him.

Thanks,

Native Born Desert Rat

11. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I've done a little research about gold in Iowa.
    There has been some found here. Not enough to make it worthwhile hunting it though.
    FWIW gold has been found in Clayton county around Elkader and in Van Buren county.
    There has been some found in northern Missouri also.IIRC it was on the Chariton river.
    So there you go
    good luck
    just

12. Nativeborn Desertrat

State:
    Arizona
    Well, looks like after near record rains and snow, I'll be adding another 1,800 - 1,900 miles to my poor sluice w/o getting it wet. (a smilie with tears should really go right here) (no, really there should be one here*) That will make close to 7,000 miles I've dragged (should that have two 'g's or one?) that thing around with me, and I will not get it get it wet yet. I may have to take in the house and set it up in the bath tub and make sure I still know how to use it.

At this point I am hoping I will be able to dig up a couple buckets of dirt (mud) to take home with me and see if I can squeeze out some Ohio gold there.

I have to be leaving Monday to head back to the desert. Anybody got anything going on, on my route to Tucson, AZ? Boy, I can't wait to be warm again. This old Desert Rat just don't like the cold. 70's and 80's HERE I COME......YEHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!:smile2:

What's my route? :crazy: That all depends on what you got going? I could go to Arizona by way of Maine or Florida? I'd just be taking the scenic route, yea thats it scenic route.:wink:

*Computer error, not mine, I really do know how to use one, really I do:tounge_out: