Recovered Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Pfunk, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Hey all, i have a question that maybe someone can help me with. I understand this is something that the parks and wildlife can help me with, but they are closed now, and i would like to see if anyone has any information on this before i call them. I was Bass fishing with my dad, waaay back in a cove that is commonly used for duck hunting.
    We noticed something odd sticking about 6 inches out of the water, and made are way over there to see what it was. I notced a loop that was attached to this object, so we tied a rope to it and pulled on it with our boat, to see if we could get it up out of the water enough to see what it was. It turned out to be a 14 ft Aluminum boat, full of mud and rotted wood. We towed it home (barely made it), and pulled it up on shore to inspect it closer.

Turns out, this boat is in really good condition other than the rotted wood, and rusted bolts. We took all the wood out, and cleaned it up, removing the rusted bolts and all).
    The boat is a 60's model (with rivets), but believe it or not, it doesnt leak a drop. We inspected it for a serial # to see if we could contact the owner and see if he would give us a bill of sale, but the serial # is not on the boat. You can see where the plate was, but the plate is not there. Ive taken it out on the water many times now with an ore, and fished in it, and im ammazed that it just doesnt leak a drop.

We did find out why it sunk tho, the people that had it before hand had used tin foil as a boat plug lol. So i bought a new plug for it and all is good. By looking at it i can tell its been in the water for at least 2 years if not longer.

My question is, i would like to title it here in the state of Texas, and im not sure if i can title a boat with out serial numbers. I want to put a small motor on it, and use it. Anyone have any experience or knowledge they can share with me on this matter? I would greatly appreciate it..

allen

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I am not sure but, I think you might be able to get a salvage title for it. Check at the courthouse and see what they say about it.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    In NC you could have it retitled over the phone.
    I had the same situation.
    Lady gave me a boat to get it off her property. Some alterations had been made to the boat and one of those alterations is where the tag should have been.

The NCWRC just wanted a description of the boat. I didnt know the maker of the boat so they told me to make up a maker. They issued a serial number for it and she was done.

States vary a whole lot on this and NC may not even be that easy anymore but I imagine it's not difficult either.

There should also be some stipulations to salvage rights.
    Those are pretty cut and dry.
    The boat was sunk and no effort by the owner or insuer was made to retrieve it. It's claimable.

People make a living on the ocean salvaging vessels.
    Believe it or not if the captain abandons ship and you can get there and get your pumps onboard and save that ship, its yours. Dont matter how big or small it is.

There is a well known boat tow company called seatow. You can get a membership to seatow.
    There are instances like running aground in your 24 footer where they have wound up owning your boat because of salvage rights. Of course they'll sell it back to you.

4. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    In MO they send a patrolman out to verify the missing ID tag, then they'll issue a new number and title.

5. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Well, i just got off the phone with Texas Parks and Wild Life. It's hopeless. From what they told me, if it's an abandoned boat, there is absolutly no possible way i can get it registered. Those salvage rights are only for abandoned boats on the ocean, not lakes.

So, my next question is, to find out if there is anyway to get around this. Like maybe make up some new serial numbers, or claim it as a home made boat? Any ideas anyone? She wouldnt give me this info because i had already told her it was abandoned.

I wish like hell i could find out who the owners were, im 99% sure they would just give me a bill of sale or something. I mean its been in the water for at least 2 - 3 years, it's obvious they didnt want it or need it enough to go get it out.

I took it to a spray wash and cleaned it out, and wow it cleaned up really nice. If i put some seets in this thing, and a new transom, it would be a nice boat to have. I hate to just let it go to waste. Its rare to see a boat like this with rivets that doesnt leak. And this one dont leak at all.. I wish i had before and after pictures of it, you all would be ammazed.

6. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    Do you have too have a title for a boat in texas? Kansas just want a bill of sale. If a bill of sale will work just have a buddy make one up. In kansas they neve inspect a boat when buying permits

7. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Yea, i was thinking the same thing, but i need to somehow find the serial numbers, or make some somehow. I'm going to inspect the boat closer tomorrow (while fishing :) ), and see if i can find the SN# somewhere engraved on the boat or something. If i can find those numbers i will do just what you recomend.

8. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    I know there were some floaties and some wood and other junk that was left behind when we pulled it out. Once we started pulling it out there was no stopping, we had to keep it up on plane because of all the mud and brush in it. Maybe there was a reg sticker, or something left behind that will help (you can tell it was once registered for sure, there's outlines where the tags and number stickers were).
    Other than that maybe i can make a serial number for it lol (if that's even legal)...

9. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    It's a mess in Texas to get this done. Parks and Wildlife do everything they can to avoid helping you. I had a friend that bought a boat at a police auction, had a bill of sale, and called P&W about getting a title. They sent a Game Warden out to see the boat, the Warden confiscated the boat and locked it up, and it took over 2 months to get the paper work straight. Take the boat to Lousianna and sell or trade it off. I don't think they need a title there. Catfishjon

10. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Interesting.... Yea, i will be pissed if they take this boat. Maybe it's just best i stick with ores on this one.... It has 4 ore locks on it. Still, and nice 15 - 20 HP Evinrude would be sweet on the back of this thing.

Thats for the heads up.

11. gocards

gocards New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have the same problem here in Kentucky. I traded for a 14 ft lowe big jon that did not have a hull number. Or at least it was not were it was supposed to be. The laws seem to be wrote so that the average person can't tell what we need to do and the DMV always sent me on a wild goos chase. They sometimes treated me like I stole the thing. I finally found out that I could have Fish and Wildlife inspect the boat so I called them to come out and check it over. I was told if it was water worthy and not stolen then there would be no problem. Well she came out found the extra tag under the plate that has the HP rating and persons rating for the boat. So she was able to track the hull number. Turns out it was junked by a marina in Kentucky. She said you are good to go and only need to take this to the DMV. Which I did but they still had no idea. They told me I had to fill out all this crap and send it to Frankfort (st capital) and it would take abougt 6 weeks for an answer. When I got it back they said that they needed the previous owners signature. What the hell? They junked the thing. It was not stolen so why do I need them to sign crap. I gave up and bought another boat after having it for 5 years. My father is still trying to get it taken care of. I think that they have made the laws so that it is way to much trouble to get a boat like this licensed in Kentucky. The sad thing is that it is a very good boat. There was some welding work done to the front of the boat and looke as if it may have had a whole but above the water line. I am sure this is the reason it was junked. I just got tired of nobody telling me what I needed to do to get the dang thing licensed. Good luck

12. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Looks like you found a good find. You could possible get a buddy or friend in another state to get it Tagged and licensed. You pay all the fees and then after that he can write you a bill of sale saying you bought it for a Dollar or so . Then you can transfer it over into your name.

Not sure it will work. Just a Ideal. You get tired of messing with it and want to get rid of it give me a hollar!!!

13. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    In WV you have a DMV form, attach a couple of pictures, take it and the boat to the LEO dept of your choice and have them sign off that it is not stolen, take the form in, pay title fee (taxes if applicable) and you are good to go.

14. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i had a boat that did not have a tag. I went to the tpw they let me use my birthday for a c.n. just had to stincel it on the back of the boat. Thanks Sam Davis

15. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thats the best suggestion ive heard :0a23: I think Id give that a try

16. ouachita

ouachita New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you can make out the registration numbers you can go to tpwd and pay $2 for them to look up the owner name and address. I did this on an old boat I bought from a guy who was moving. He left before I could get any paperwork. It turned out he never transferred the title when he bought it so I mailed the original owner and he signed the title transfer form.

17. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Do a little work to it and use a brass brush in your drill to shine it up and say you built it ............apply for a new boat title .

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    check salvage yards for numbers maybe useing the numbers from a boat that is getting scrapped?

19. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    If it is a 60's boat it shouldn't be required to have a Hull Identification Number. From what I understand, they were not required until 1972. You should be able to get a bill of sale from a buddy, dad, or grandpa and register it without one or the state may issue you one as home built to put on it. Just tell them your buddy, dad , or grandpa used in on a farm pond since new and never registered it.

20. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    This boat is so perfect for what i need. We have vast numbers of gator infested, stump ridden, narrow, shallow channles that im dying to explore / fish.

I understand why they have rules, and procedures that make it hard for this type of thing. But i'm a Sanford and Son type of guy. When i see something of value (with a solid well built core) that has been thrown away or abandoned, i cant help but to fix it up like new, and make good use of it. It's like building / customizing it all over again, my way.

Some of the ideas posted on this thread are fantastic (Thank You all), and give me hope that one day i'll be running up and down the channels of Lake fork in it.

I'll post any success i have when / If it comes.