Record white Catfish...maybe????

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by rrssmith, Sep 19, 2008.

1. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    This was from todays Local paper here in bakersfield, it was caught at Lake Isabella,
    "Wednesday evening at around 9 p.m., Bakersfield's Ron Frye, fishing alongside his wife Amie, set the hook into an exceptionally large catfish while soaking bait near the auxiliary dam. Fifteen minutes after hooking the gargantuan, he was able to land the fish.
    "I went into shock when I saw it. I went and grabbed it and just sort of heaved it onto the shore, where Amie screamed at the size of it. We had already caught three nice sized channel cats, but this one dwarfed the others. It didn't look like a channel and someone told me it was probably a big white cat."
    The world record on white catfish stands at a fraction more than 20 pounds, but when Ron put the fish on a certified scale, the needle went to 26.33 pounds. A DFG biologist finally made the scene on Thursday afternoon for identification purposes and immediately ruled out the possibility of a blue cat."

Attached Files:

2. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    it sure is tough to tell in that pic but im thinking its an adult male channel cat. For his sake ill hope your right though and gets the record! keep us posted!

3. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    it is hard to tell by the pic, i just copied a little of the article from the paper, but they did say that a DFG biologist was looking at the fish to be positve.

4. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    I think you are right That is a mail Channel Cat, This is a picture of a white Cat caught out of the Buena vista lake near Taft, their is no mistaking a white cat when you see one, this one was caught by a young man about ten years old and this was his first cat to ever catch, and you can tell by the expression on his face. He was fishing with his granddad and they had no Camera so my wife took the picture and and we sent it to his mom's computer.

Attached Files:

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    nice fish,sure looks like a channel

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Avery large channel too:wink:

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    It looks lkie a nice large male channel from the pic. Let us know what the bio says. Nice fish though. Thanks for the report:wink:

8. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    This is what we need in the Delta river system. Could use them in a few of our lakes also.

World Record - Flathead Catfish
    (All Tackle)
    Weight: 123 lbs. - 9 oz.
    Length:
    Girth:
    Angler: Ken Paulin
    Caught at: Elk City Reservoir
    Bait/Lure:
    Method: Zebco 33 with 12 lb. test
    Record Date: May 14, 1998

[​IMG]

9. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Isn't a white catfish what some of us would call a bullhead? If so that thing aint ugly enough, almost, but not quite. I don't think white catfish means albino either. The reports always say white cats and channel cats in the delta and the only cats I catch are channels and what I call a bullhead. Is this an accurate statement fellaz? We'll see what the DFG determines it will be interesting. Maybe poppa channel laid sperm on the wrong eggs and now we have some type of half-breed catfish.:smile2:

Sean!

10. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    White catfish are a seperate species from bullheads.
    When they are on the small side they do have large heads in comparison to the bodies similar to a bull head but they are not the same.
    If you have been fishing the delta river system most likely what you have been catching is white catfish.
    According to the fish and game they are the most commonly caught catfish in Ca.
    Check out this site you may have to look for the bull heads a little to find them;
    http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/default.cfm

11. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Sean, I take it you have never seen a white catfish. they look nothing like a bullhead, in fact they look more like a Channel cat. if you ever see one, you wont need DFG to determine what it is, they are as white as a bran new bead sheet, and yes they are an albino catfish. I think I would have a hard time eating one. I posted a picture of one, that I seen caught out of the Buena-vista lake near Taft.

12. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    The picture you posted did look like a white channel. I have seen pics of them, but never caught one or seen one in person. I don't understand the reports because they say white catfish and channels, but I have never caught one and I have never seen anybody catch one either. I don't know what to make of these reports sometimes. Even the reports up at Rio Vista say white catfish. It doesn't say channel or bullhead just white cats. Don't understand where they get there info or if they even fish the waters themselves. I think I would have a hard time eating a white catfish too. They sure look somewhat deathly don't they? Thanks for the response and clearing that up for me Catfish Slick.

Sean!

13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Probably shouldn't get into this, but...

The first pic looks like a male channel to me, not a white.

The other pic (of the very pale fish) is a blue catfish that happens to be light in color. Some places some people call these "white cats."

A true white catfish (Ictalurus catus or Ameiurus catus, dependig on whether you like the old or the newer taxonomy) is a whole different species. The newer taxonomy puts them in the same genus with bullheads, and yes they do look quite a lot like a big black bullhead - at least to me they do. The easiest giveaway for ID is the anal fin. Without getting into the fin ray counts: blue cats have a long anal fin with a straight edge and true white cats have a much shorter anal fin that's rounded. White cats are native to the coastal river drainages of the southeast (they like brackish water), but have been stocked into quite a few resevoirs.

14. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    John, Glad to have you to commit on this . looks like no one hear knows what a white catfish looks like. I was just going by what it looked like, and to me it couldn,t have looked any more white. Thanks man for the help.

15. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Catfish can be identified by counting the rays on the anal fin.
    Flathead 14-17
    White 19-23
    Channel 24-29
    Blues have 30 to 34 rays on the anal fin and the bottom point of the tail fin is slightly longer than the top point.
    Yellow Bullhead 24-27
    Brown Bullhead 17-24
    Black Bullhead 17-24