record size

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by bw69r, May 28, 2008.

1. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    my buddy talked to fisheries biologist who works mainly on the allegheny and he told him he routinely handles 60+ pound flatheads and that people would probably never guess how many big fish are out there. he feels that when the record gets broken that it is going to be by alot and wouldn't be surprised if it happens in the near future. time to bulk up the tackle boys and girls and i hope it is a BOC member that does it. good luck to everyone.

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The Mon holds some giant flatheads and I won`t be surprised if the record is taken from it by a BOC brother.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Same urban legend as the diver down in the dams. Same legend as the monster dead flat with 20 hooks in it's mouth.

42 pounds was left standing for about 20 years untouched until recently.

I think PA should start shooting for 50 before anyone thinks of 60.

If there is a 60 in PA, he's living out west. No 60s on the EASTSIDE.

4. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Another reason the record has been in the forties for so long is that there aren`t many people who fish for flatheads, cats are still considered trash fish by many. I have fished for cats since I learned to fish but the fact is we are in the minority, most people don`t bother with them.

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    From what i have seen, here in Texas anyway, is not that many people know what the records are where they fish and dont thionk about them much, they are just showing & telling everyone within reach, then put it back or eat it, they just dont know about the records being as low as some of them are!!!!

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I think we got some real monsters out there, well 50 or 60# fish anyway! The average angler who accidently hooks one of these fish with 8# test has no chance of landing them. I feel that now that there are so many of us chasing them that a big one will be caught and not only the 50# mark but the 60# mark is reasonable! :cool2: I think it will be one of our B.O.C. Brothers! :wink: :big_smile:

7. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    I couldnt agree more ..last year my first year back from the army and fishin for flats i was runnin smaller tackle and did have alot of lost fish i think their are some monsters in their just a matter of keepin them on when they do hit !

8. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Good luck, If I am ever up your way I'll take care of the record for you.:smile2:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Give it another 5 to 10 years and a 60 will come out of the Skuke and Susky.

10. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I wouldn`t doubt it Tan from what you guys are catching now I`d say it`s a matter of time before you guys start catchin` giant flats.

11. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    Theres no telling the size of some of these monsters that are out there. I know I have caught 40# fish and hook other fish in the same night that were WAY larger and lost them. I think that the reason the record stood for so long is that we did'nt have the BOC to support the growth of the sport, the last few years I know of a few hardcore wallaye fisherman who have converted after seeing their first 30# flathead. And you know you have a smile on your face when you pull a 40# flat to the surface and hear 5 people say I did'nt know they got that big or I have never seen anything like that. You know the next day those people are out buying there first big cat rod. It must be 3 times a day someone says were did you get that rod or how much did it cost. Thats why I agree to the statement that the record will be broken again almost every year for a while. There are also alot more baitfish swiming around out there which is also a good thing for the flathead record status

12. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    really good post Nick and welcome to the BOC.