Record Class Fish Bountys?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by CatFuStyle, Feb 16, 2009.

1. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    I read the threads on that 120lbs. flatty and all about the money he was offered, so heres my question...

Now that everyone knows Cabellas and BPS offers "REWARDS" or "BOUNTYS" you could say, does anyone think this could have an impact on catfishing, you know $5,000+ dollars in todays economy would help alot of people, now id like to think that a fish of that caliber could come from ohio area and think its possible, but word of mouth spreads fast, especially when money is involved??? most do practice cpr or selective harvest of fish, but how many would be tempted to get intouch with the powers that be from cabellas and bps???

i can honestly say that i dont know what i would do, thats a alot of money and its not going to a paypond or anything like that, i just dont know...

2. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    Well the chances of that big fish staying alive are real slim, so why bother trying to get it cabellaes or bass pro. Take some pic snd let it go is what I would do. The money would be nice, but I would rather see my son or daughter catch a monster someday

3. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    In my opinion; I don't think it would have a huge impact. Records are not broken every day, week, or month. Records tend to last for some time. As far as selling the record fish to Cabella's or BPS. With the way the economy is now, I'd probally take the money if everything was done to keep the fish healthy. They could probally also use the fish for breeding and stocking programs to keep the genetics of that fish in the waterways...

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I agree, I would probably take the money and try for other stuff like a boat that was outfitted real well or some R/R combos or both LOL.

5. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    i didnt even think about it that way for breeding and stocking programs, that caliber of a fish could produce some monster flats in the future and strengthen the population, i do have to agree if they could keep the fish healthy, ive never come close to a fish of that size so ive never really given it any thought, heck im just happy catchin 20lbers. :smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    the only place regularly give trophy cats would be the Ohio river but they should be able grow big female produce alot of young fry to keep the species going especially flatheads this practice is horrible and should be stopped cpr

7. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree! On short term disability still. 1 big cat is just that. I woulod baby that fish like a newborn, and the fish would pay for my hobby. You can buy alot of cat gear and film for CPR'ing (which I practice). Become a Star member on the BOC and donate some to conservation. If that made you feel better. I would just pay the bills that I cant pay now! Then go fishin. I guess im just a poser...olj

8. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would say the chances of catching a fish of that caliber is a once in a lifetime.If I happen to catch a fish that one of those company's would offer big money for I would probably take it, if I felt the fish was wasn't in danger of dying i.e taking real good care of it after the catch.I would not sell it to a paypond though they probably couldn't offer what one of the big company's could.There will be a lot of disagreement on this subject but one thing is for sure.EVERYONE HAS A PRICE.

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. They were offereing $8,000,000 for the world record bass and how many people have been trying for it and no one has broken that record since the 30's.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    When I catch that fish, (Rollo tells me I ain't gonna be able to say I caught it up in Dresden. He says I gotta say I caught it down towards Chillicothe, on the Scioto).

NO MATTER, I'm gonna call a couple guys from here,and get that fish BOC certified.

11. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I think selling a fish in Ohio is still illegal, whether it's to a pay pond or cabelas. The difference is with cabelas there is evidence you sold it swimming around for everyone to see, and maybe a plague with your name on it.

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I don't figure I'll ever get a chance to be faced with the chance to decide wheather to sell to Cabela's or BPS. I'd have to catch something over 50# first which I've been unable to do thus far. That much money would buy lots of cattin toys though.

13. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I believe in and practice CPR but I am also a rational person so I know that if I could keep one fish and cash a check for 25k I would do it in a heartbeat.

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I practice CPR as well, and would never stoop to the levels some have by catching and selling fish to pay ponds etc. to make a few dirty bucks. But, if I caught a record fish and Cabelas offered me 25 or 30 thousand for it, you can go ahead and say the words "IN ROUTE"!!!!!:smile2: rollo

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Me too! With the economy as tough as it is these days, 20 grand for a fish is fine with me:wink:

I could actually buy a boat with 20 grand?

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I couldn't agree more. $$$$$$$$$ show me the money. If I did catch a fish that big...I would call BPS and Cabelas and see which one would go the highest. Hey, I got 25, 25, 25 do I hear 30, I got 30, 30, 30, do I hear 35,?Who knows, you might get them to go sky high!!!! Cant you just hear it now? Headlines read ...Local man catches 130 lb Flathead and sales the fish for a whopping $100,000. :eek:oooh::crazy::smile2:

17. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I could see the post now....

Dear Brothers and sisters, you know how I practice CPR on the big fish that I catch. I have to come to you though and confess that I caught the world record Flathead today. It just so happened that I was on the phone with Cabellas ordering new circle hooks when I landed the monster. I guess I set the phone down and they were listening in to the amazing catch. They offered me an insane amount of money for the fish. Now I know what you're thinking, a good brother would put the fish back in the water. However, I've fished that water for a long time and know first hand that there are quite a few trophy fish there. Oh, did I mention that I believe that the Flathead might be sick? I think he's got a virus and it's probably best that he be removed from the water. Can you forgive me for not CPR'ing this one time? I promise I'll take you for a ride in my brand new Sea Ark. :eek:oooh:

18. goldfish33

goldfish33 New Member

State:
    ohio cincy area
    what if ?

i caught a fish like that!!

in ohio if i tried to sell it to anybody even cabela or bass pro i would be breaking the law. i would be branded a poacher,fined and probably lose my fishing privelages.

but i might get my dummy buddy to take it in and split with him:smile2:

19. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I still think I'd be too tangled up in the toilet paper roll to even think about calling Cabellas.