Record Channel Cat

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by MSgtCatfish, Jun 4, 2008.

1. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Does anyone out there ever see the world Channel cat record being broken? If so, where do you see it being pulled out of?

2. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    nope i havent heard about anything of that nature

3. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    I think it's unlikely. It takes a lot for a channel cat to get into the 50 or 60 pound range. A lot of factors would have to align just right in order for it to happen.

I fish Clear Lake in Northern California 5 or 6 times a year and I've heard a story several times from people who live at the lake that a 59+ pound channel was electroshocked during a study. The fish was never taken from the lake. Of course, I can't confirm the story but I hope it's true.

I think the World Record Largemouth Bass record will be broken before the World Record Channel Cat record.

Just my 2 cents. . .

4. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee

Like the Full Moon moving backwards through the house of Gemeni On a cool august at exactly 3:56am and you cast a rotten chicken liver in the water exactly in the moons reflection.................That kind of lining up?:smile2:

5. iFish

iFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Lol, that sounds like the ticket right there!

6. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA

58lb channel is a BIIIIIG channel, surprised they get that big anyways. world record channel is out of lake marion SC back in 64'

i hope calif gets it lol and it will be me:big_smile::smile2:

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the one w.b. whaley caught was the record, right? some say it was a misidentified blue cat, but i don't know. from the picture it looks like a channel in the head and a blue in the body. but the record stands... i would like to know what the closest weights are that have been caught to the record. i have never seen pics of even a 50# channel. some 30's and a 40 i have seen. i agree we will probably see the bass record broke before the channel cat record though. matter of fact a guy did catch it but it was foul hooked so he released it.

8. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    dont know about the other states but califs is 3rd with 52 lbs 10 oz caught at Santa Ana River Lakes, 2nd place is south dakota, with 55lbs

9. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I can see the channel cat record being broken, when I first started catfishing about 46 years ago, a 50 lb blue was a big fish, now in the last 3 years the record has been broken twice? The record flat was broken not to long ago. So I am pretty sure the channel cat record will fall soon.

I dont think the record channel cat will come from the southern states, due to the food competition with the blues and flats.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the s. dakota cat has a squared anal fin, from the looks of the pic. the one whaley caught has a rounded anal fin. both nice fish, either way.

11. terrycook3

terrycook3 New Member

State:
    minnsota
    hi-i know for a near fact that lake castias in california has a world record channel cat-48 lbs is the lake record-but my buddy broke one off that had to be 60 plus-ive found 18 inch trout in thier stomachs they grow big just like the bass in that lake do!-gl terry

12. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
  13. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    I dont see it happening anytime soon but you never know. I would love to even see a channel that big.

14. clintok

clintok New Member

State:
    oklahome
    you never know I've seen some really nice channels pulled out of some rivers and lakes in oklahoma.

15. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I gotta put my vote in for viginia breaking the record (gotta give my state some props). See alot of big cats while snorkeling in the old river that is the shenandoah. The state record is small only 31# but I've seen plenty that size while snorkeling and I usually snorkel fast water and rapids scavanging for goodies. Plus there is lots of food for them and no competion once they get over 5 or 6 pounds, and no other cats either. Plus its alot of large deep lakes that get fished very little around. Lake arrowhead produced a cat that broke the state record a couple of years back but was unable to be weighed on certified scales. But if I speak unbiasedly I think it will be somewhere like NY or Canada or somewhere with out blues or flats.