Record blue certified

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mac-b, May 19, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    A blue cat weighing 27.2 pounds and measuring 36.85" was caught on Krodel Lake in Mason County, WV. Any of you guys know anything about it? I picked the news up from a SC source.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I live 20 minutes away from WV and not heard a thing about it. I'll check into it though. I'd figured the record would have been a lot bigger than 27.2lbs????:confused2:

3. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Sounds fishy to me according to the ACoE site that lake has a max depth of 10 ft.I guess its could be true but since WV dnr doesnt stock any blue cats and this is a man made lake chances are someone was out on the Ohio near there and caught it in the river.Then again locals could have stocked it with blues from the Ohio so its hard to tell I will chack the papers for info.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I know that the WV DNR has been stocking the Belleville and Willow Island pools of the Ohio river with blues but they would need a few years to get that big. Sounds to me , it was released there in that lake at some time. Still, its a good thing that WV is getting blue cats in the area.

5. wildlife

wildlife New Member

State:
    SW PA
  6. WestVaMan

WestVaMan New Member

State:
    Okinawa Japan
    I wish I had a dollar for every bath I took in Lake Norman.

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Brother Jim, thanks for finding a link to the story on the record blue.

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Glad to hear that a new record was caught and stuff like that, sounds like it must have been a fun fish to fight im glad to hear that somoene caught it im about 15 min away from wv first time hearing about it but glad to hear the record was broke.

9. wildlife

wildlife New Member

State:
    SW PA
    Your welcome.

I still do a bit of stomping around in the WV woods, so I try to stay on top of news like this. Should be able to spend more time around WV & PA now that I have moved back from SC.

10. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia

I found this on the DNR page.I heard about this some time back.And yes they do stock blues in certain river in WV now.I sure hope that they take off and do really good.

http://www.wvdnr.gov/2008news/08news083.shtm

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the record blue.

12. littlecat

littlecat New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i bet everybody will be fishing there now >.

13. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I fish there alot but mainly for trout in the winter. Matter of fact I hooked a catfish this winter well trolling for trout. I suspect that is what it was because at first I thought I was hung up but after I got over top of it, the fish started moving and pulling my jon boat with it. I had a ultra lite pole with 4 lb test so I couldnt budge it. After about 10 mins my hook popped loose. Maybe I had the record hooked. Im not sure they stock it with blues but they do stock it. I know a old man that fishes there alot and he will know about it. Ill let u know when I find out.

14. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    Well guys and gals the record is true. I asked four different people and they all said the blue was caught in krodel lake and its a record.