Record Blue Catfish I Caught

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Boomer, May 16, 2009.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Boy they were biting last night I caught a 5, 12, 17, 30 lb, 62 lb and the big one, 100+ lbs.

The rain had just passed through, so I thought I might give it a try, loaded the boat and a 12 pack of my favorite beverage, and headed to the water. The wind was still kicking the waves up pretty good, but seemed to be calming down.

I had caught some perch the evening before, and they were still lively in the live well. I got to my favorite whole and anchored out letting the tail end of the boat sway in the current, I was fishing the mouth of a creek. I baited up my first pole, and threw it out into a 15 foot drop, set the clicker, and turned around and was baiting out the second when wham, down it went, I caught the 30 lber, got it into the boat, weighed it took pictures and released it. Rebaited and threw out in the same spot, got the second on set up and threw out about 15 feet to the left of that one.

By this time I was pretty thirsty, so I popped the top on a cold one, and started riggin up my third pole. I threw this one down stream, about 60 feet behind the boat, and again my first pole slammed down, that was the 5 lber, I then caught the 62 lber and had a heck of a time getting it in the boat, I got my net hung up, finally got it untangled, and got the fish in the boat....took a picture and again weighed it and released it.

The bites just quit after that, so again, I was pretty thirsty, and finished off a six pack, and 2 sandwiches. I thought this is not a bad day, just need a few more smaller ones for oil. Then the bite was on again....the 12 and 17 hit at the same time, I rigged one pole with a regular hook, so i grabbed that one, just so happens it was the one with the 17 lber on, the other pole was bouncing in the holder, i moved closer to it to make sure it didnt bounce out, I had to lip the 17 lber to get it into the boat, then I grabbed the 2nd pole and got that one in.

Then as I was rebaiting the big one hit, it acutally pulled the boat side ways, I was only using one anchor, the reel was screaming, my mind went blank for about 30 seconds trying to comprehend what was going on. I just sat there looking at the line ripping off that 7000, the drag was cranked down pretty good on it. Then I tried to get the rod out of the holder, there was so much pressure, I almost never got it out, I finally hit the line release and got it out. I fought that fish for almost an hour, I finally ended up chasing it with the trolling motor, I just dropped the anchor, I had a jug on it, so I could come back. I finally got it wore down, now came the real problem, I had never saw a fish that big, how to weigh it and get a picture. After i got it up to the boat, I knew it wouldnt fit into the net, so I wrapped the line around a rod holder a couple of times and reached over the side lip him. I like to have tore my arms out their sockets the first try, he didnt want to get in the boat. Then I reached down to get another go at him then it happened, I went right over in with him.

Boy was I pissed when I hit that floor and woke up, that was the best dream I had, had in a long time, and the fish were really biting and the brew was ice cold, and a beautiful night on the water. Hopefully tonight I will catch some more and a bigger one.

:smile2: LOL, had ya'll going didnt I?

2. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Very good dream, a whole heck of alot better than dreaming of being killed in a fire or something!!!!!!!

PS you must be able to type better than I....

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Wow what a catch, took a trip and never left the farm, good for you.

Danny

4. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I knew something was fishy because there were no pics attached... you should have had a pic of you sleeping attached lol. Great dream though.. I havn't had a dream about catching fish in a long time... I don't have dreams that good though. I always wake myself up setting the hook lol. Super sucky spot to wake up.

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yeah usually my dreams involve food, once I dreamed my favorite rib joint was out of ribs was ticked off all morning...

6. IBEW_124_BROTHER

IBEW_124_BROTHER New Member

State:
    MO
  7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gary you may have survived the dream, but you hooked a big one. ME. Quite a story. Deserves a rep.

8. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    aw man you got me, shoot I was jealous about half way in.

9. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    That's too funny !!! Reeled me right in !!!!

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yep me too...:big_smile:!

I'll be readin' your last lines first for now on! lol

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Great dream.....I sometimes dream about catching big fish. Then I wake up and go fishin'.:big_smile:

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    You didn't injure the wife with a elbow on any of the hooksets did ya:eek:oooh:

I know I have had dreams of that nature and smacked the heck out of mine once on a hookset.:smile2:..Headboard took a beating a couple of times too..

PS..You really had me going.:smile2::smile2::cool2:

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I woke up once holding my wife up in the air by her bottom lip.... :roll_eyes: lol

14. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
  15. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Bet you woke up exhausted.:smile2:

16. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    So did ya rush over to the place and reassure yourself that they weren't out?:smile2:

17. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have dreams about food all the time, I work in Afghanistan, and the chow hall food has something to desired in the way of food. I never dream of eating all the good food I can.

One dream I had this resturant fixes a steak in some kind of special seasoning and this was the worst tasting steak I had ever eaten.

The funny thing is after one of those dreams I am in a bad mood all morning....

Dreams are funny they can affect your day.

I think what started the dream on the fishing trip was I was looking into the fishing reports at home. LOL I cant drink beer over here, so that beer was ice cold....

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    LMAO! :smile2: Great story Gary! You had me fooled till the end! :wink: :smile2:

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    You had me going! I tried to rep ya but I gotta spread some around first...

20. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Man, you had me going! I thought I was there with you for a while. :)