Reconizing A Stroke

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, Apr 13, 2006.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    during A Bbq,a Friend Stumbled And Took A Little Fall-she Assured Everyone She Was Ok.(they Offered To Call Paramedics) And That She Had Just Tripped Over A Brick Because Of Her New Shoes. They Got Her Cleanedup,a New Plate Of Food,while Appeared Shaken Up She Went On And Enjoyed Herself The Rest Of The Evening. ingrids Husband Called Later And Said They Took His Wife To The Hospital ( At 6:00 P.m.lngrid Passed Away) She Had Suffered A Stoke At The Bbq.had They Of Known The Signs Perhaps Ingrid Would Be With Us Today In Order To Recognize A Stokejust Remember 3 Easy steps 1.ask Indivaual To Smile : 2. Ask Him/her To Raise Both Arms: 3. Ask Them To Speak A Simple Sentence ( It Is Sunny Out Today ) If They Have Trouble With Any Of These call 911 And Describe Symptoms To Dispatcher . Just Maybe We Could Save A Life. (this Didn't Happen To Me ,it Was A E-mail From My Brother-inlaw Last Night. They Say This Has Been Tested And It Does Work.

2. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    John, thanks for the info. everyone should be concerned when someone that is not drunked up starts to stumble and fall around. And sometimes even a person that has been drinking can have a stroke also.

3. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    I hope this may help someone sometime. I had a stroke at the age of 38. I was at a very intense basketball game of my daughters. I noticed that I was getting really emotional at the game, like I was going to cry because she was playing so well. When the game was over I was going home and all of a sudden my nose and eyes started burning like I had pepper in them. Didn't think anything of it went to bed and the next morning I couldn't walk right or talk right. Went to work and after a few hours decided I had better go to the emergency room. I didn't realize how bad it was affecting me until they asked me to sign some forms and I couldn't write my name!! That will freak you out let me tell you. Took months for me to regain everything. I honestly think the burning sensation was a sign and if I would have known there is a drug they can give you in the first 1/2 hour that can stop the stroke.:crying:

4. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the info. guys. That's some good info. to know but, I hope I never need to use it on anyone. I wonder if you were having a stroke you could remember to do the test on yourself? I'm just as good of a candidate as any for a stroke.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Darn, I went fishing this morning and stumbled. Dang big as_ rock got in my way, but fortunately it was a rock. THat is good information to know, if I can just get it stored so I will have immediate recall.

6. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

It's called the "Cincinatti Stroke Test". We use it on any call with a patient with an altered mental status. If there is drooping in the mouth during the smile, one arm goes higher than the other, or the words are slurred, it indicates a problem with the brain. Another test that is sometimes added is to have the person squeeze your hands, if one side is weeker than the other, it can also signify brain damage.

Ray

7. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    That is great info. Because you posted this, this could save many of the BOC brothers and siters family, and themselves.

8. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree that is a great post and will store that in memory as best I can. Hope I never need to use it. Thanks.

9. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thanks for the post, I never knew to look for these signs.

A fishin' buddy of mine just had a stroke last week. He was driving home and he pulled over. Used the cell phone "one button dial" to call home. His wife said all she heard was moaning. She called the friends house he had left from and he had been gone from there about 30 min. It's only a 15 min. drive. She found him on the side of the freeway and called 911.
    Docs gave him the drug to reverse the stroke but the damage was already there. He knows whats going on around him but he is unable to speak or move his entire right side. He does have feelin' there, just unable to move.
    Got some good news today ! He was asked how many tacos he wanted for lunch and he said two. The docs say the movement and speech should come back, they just don't know how much he will regain.

Please say a lil prayer for Kevin, he has had a very rough 10 months. It started when he fell off the loading dock and broke his leg. Six weeks later as he was returning to work he had to have his apendix removed. Lost his job cuase of it and now he has had a stroke.

10. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Prayers being sent T-Bone

This is a GREAT thread that EVERYONE needs to read.

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    My Prayers Are Being Sent For Kivin.sounds Like He Really Has Had A Rough Time. No Matter How Bad A Person Thinks They Are Just Look Around Someone Is Worse Off.if You Have Your Health N Othing Else Really Matters. Least Thats The Way I Feel. Anyway prayers Being Said.