recommended weight for wingdikes?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by catmandu62, Nov 9, 2007.

1. catmandu62

catmandu62 New Member

State:
    missouri
    hey brothers, I fish the mississippi near the mouth of the meramac. I was wondering what size and type of weight is recommended for fishing behind those wing dikes. I currently use 8oz no rolls, but just curious about what other guys use. :eek:oooh:

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats exactly what size I use. I rig them carolina style with 18 inches of mono shock leader and a 9 0tt Gamakatsu hook.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Never fished that section but 8 oz. holds most of the time. Sometimes it takes 16 oz if it is really ripping! I've even had the 16 roll around on me a few times. 8 is a good all-around weight for this area though.

Cuz knows that section really, really well!

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Coming into this time of year John you'll want to start fishing the scour holes off of the tips of the dykes. The fish have been moving ever so deeper the past 3 weeks by the sounds of things. Come into the tip of the dyke from the downstream side and pitch your anchor right on the tip of the dyke. You'll want your boat to sit just inside of the current rip that is created or else you'll spin alot. Cast your lines right down the slack side of the current rip. Cast one rod out as far as you can sling it, and your other rods stagger your cast. This serves two purposes. You'll cover more area of the scour hole, and your terminal rigs wont get all tangled up by the hydraulic effects of the water spinning off of the dyke tips. As well, make your cast downstream and not sidestream, or you'll get hung up alot. 6-8 ounces will hold you on bottom at any of the scour holes.

Deeper flats can be very productive this time of year also. You'll find the flats just off the channel edges between dykes. Its no hard and fast rule, but as a general rule of thumb, the fish will generally avoid areas of fast current so the outside bends of the river and rock revetments will typically not hold many fish coming into winter time.

Another productive area in fall and winter is to find wing dykes where there is a large circulating pool of water below them. The best ones have a slight current that will be going back UPSTREAM back by the rocks in the back of the pool.

I havnt been out in 3 weeks so I've lost touch with the fishes movements, but from the other members reports it sounds like the fish are coming out of 25-50 feet of water.

Tight Lines

5. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Aaron... Welcome to the BOC.. We are having a get together at Cuz's place in January.. If you need any weit=ghts , that would be the time and place to get them... By the way Cuz, how big is your barn... hehehe

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I have two 30X40's. There will be room even if we need to use both of them. I can always pull the boat and tractors out to make room.

7. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    I will use 8oz most everywnere. if the current is really ripping and your trying shallow water you will have to go as high as 16oz.

Cuz is right on his fishing advice. An 8oz will hold in the deep holes, and I too have good success with the setup he described.

8. catmandu62

catmandu62 New Member

State:
    missouri
    yes, the downstream.

9. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have fished the wing dams around Memphis and depending on the current have used as much as 16 oz.

10. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I use 8oz no rolls here on the missouri river ,good most of the time but if the river is up i use a 8oz and a3oz so i can stick it right where i want it