Recommended Tach?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BoxxerBoyDrew, Jun 28, 2007.

1. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    I am putting a Tach in my 85 Bass Tracker we are rebuilding, and was wondering what is the best tach to put in? I have seen the Electronic Tachs on EBay, Tiny-Tach for around $36, and People say they work ok. I also am putting a order into BassPro in the next few days too and they have a Teleflex Tachometer with a White Face I like for $54.99.

SO I guess my question is the Electronic/Digital Tach on EBay as good as the Teleflex? It is going on my 85 Merc 25XD 2 stroke/2Cyl. Motor. Money is a concern here too! LOL My Shift/Throtle Remote has a output on the front of it faceing the Console, and my Seloc book says it is a Tach Output. It has threads to screw a plug into it and it has 2 prongs in a small Half Moon looking slot in the top of the output. Does that sound like a Tach Output?

Tahnks for any Help you can provide!
    Drew

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Andy that is a tach output. Any of the tachs you mentioned will work. I have bought a few from Bass pro with no problems. Tiny tach makes the small digital ones That I use on smaller outboards to ck RPM's on them.

If you can swing it I would get the one from bass pro and you do know that you will have to order the pig tail to hook it up to the control box or you will have to go inside it and attatch the wires up directly.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Bubba, all the Merc pigtails I've seen are shaped as he described but have three wires. Tach sense, key switched positive 12 volts and a ground. If his controls only have two wires, is he still going to have to get the missing one out of the control box anyhow? Just curious.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I doubt it. I'll look up what it has coming out and give you a more knowledgeable answer.

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I don't want to make no more work for you. :big_smile: I was just curious because I've only seen 3-wire pigtails.

6. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Thanks for the help guys!! I am going to go ahead and get the Teleflex from Bass Pro. I will be ordering this next week, but I would like to know about what you find on the Plug wires!

As always Ya'll are SOO HELPFULL HERE!! THANKS AGAIN,
    Andy:big_smile:

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Gents I searched in my shop repair manuels that specified that engine and ain't coming up with a remote with just two wire connection. All that are in this are three wire.
    White ,black,brown.

Look on your control box and tell me what it has written on it.

8. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Bubba,

I was actually wrong it has 4 prongs in it, and they are in a semi-circle/ halfmoon shape like the plug. There is also a hole where another pin would go in the center of the plug. You know what I meen??

The only thing written on the outside of the remote is "QUICKSILVER" and there are 2 adjustment screws on the left hand side of the cover. As if you are looking at the side of the handle to take the 2 screws out of the handle. One is labled "Detent" and it is the top hole, as for the bottom hole I can't read it as it has rubbed away. Sorry if I am not making myself clear! I can take a Pic and post it here if you would like!

THANKYOU SOO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!
    Andy

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I'll look that control box up here in a few and get back to yea.