recommended reel for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, May 10, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i know this should be posted in the reel forum but, i want to post it here for flathead guys, in love my abues, but a peen gto 55 bucks is way beter in my opinion, there a winch, never faild me, i found out how to cast them good by loosing the spool break, good cheaper reels worth it

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Zebco 33, works everytime. :wink:

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Don,t laugh,you can be sitting there with the best equipment & bait in the world,and someone shows up with a Zebco 303 & a tub of crawlers and yanks in the big dog.I seen it happen too many times.Sometimes it,s better to be lucky than good.:wink::crazy::wink::crazy:

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree they are a winch, but I want a reel thats Why I prefer my abu's over anything including a penn.

Dont get me wrong that Penn gto is one strong reel that will tame any flathead, but I need a reel that will also cast distances of over 100 yds without backlashing.

I could never do that with a penn gto, or any other penn I have used, I am sure some people can, but not me.

6. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I use okuma spinning reels and they work just fine in any application so far I caught my largest fish at 27pounds and that reel felt as if it would have taken a fish 127 pounds same for my cheap Cabela's King Kat poles 20 bucks for the pole 45 bucks for the reel = great setup:wink:

7. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like the Abu 7000's. I just love having the spool break where it is easy to get to. They are easy to work on and upgrade, have a good clicker and cast very well.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use a variety of reels for flathead fishing. I have several Penns......and I only have to cast out a very short distance....so they work great for me.

9. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Although I haven't used a Zebco 33 on flatheads for years its hard to argue against them. The world record was caught (supposedly)on a 33 and 17# test.

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Ambassadeurs all the way~ They are worth the money!

~A

11. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I like the Shimano Calcutta 400 baitcasters. They make long casts, silky smooth drag, nice clicker, and have a variable braking system.

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I 'm an Abu man myself. Love the 7000 Pro Rocket and the 6500c3 smooth and can get the distance when needed.

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Also an ABU-GARCIA man.I like the 7000,s for most of my catting.I bank fish and like the distance and smoothness.As far as durability, I,ve never had one let me down yet.I go with 6500,s for my channel and carp fishing.:eek:oooh:

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I've never had one let me down either:wink: I have an Ambassadeur that I bought back in 1973 that is still catching fish. Still works as good as the day I bought it.

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I really enjoy using my Abu Garcia 7000's, and I use 6500's a lot also,,

However, My Sweetie, uses her $17.00 Zebco combo, that started out with a 202, and we upgraded to a Mighty 33. ,
    Yea, she tore me up last time we went fishin!! She caught some Nice ones!!!:wink:

Can't argue with what's workin!!!:smile2:

16. johnr

johnr New Member

State:
    nc
    I would say that a good drag & gears are a must if you get a hog on and the drag or gears binds up or burns out its all over. I want a reel that will be able to stand the pressure put on it and will pay more for a Good reel than buy 2 cheap ones. Bottom fishing the ocean for black sea bass last year Steve was using my Okuma 200 level wind in about 40 feet of water when a small shark about 30+ inches hit his bait well that was it for that reel just toasted it 100% ruined. I contacted Okuma to see if they wanted the reel to examine and see what all went bad so they could make improvements but they must not have cared as the reel is still here. I Crappie fish with Lorrie and have caught a 6 pound bluecat and last week a 41 inch gar on a old Ryobi light spinning reel and put both of them in the boat and it is still working fine. My point being if it cast a 100 yards it is smooth as silk looks great with all the chrome and bright sides but won't get the fish in the boat it is worthless. You are going to one day wear out something in any reel if used enough and if replacement parts are not avial then it becomes junk to be thrown away so check out the mfg replacement parts and if they don't offer parts for a reel that is 5 years old and has been discontinued then I suggest staying away from them also. I am not knocking your reel just pointing out what I think is important.

17. talleymonster

talleymonster New Member

State:
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I don't yet have a preference.... but I believe my father in law uses a Zebco 808

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use Abu 6500C3 and 6000 for all my catfishing needs.

19. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    For castability, line capacity and cranking Power along with a great drag system, the reels below has never failed.:wink: If I could find any better,,I'd try them out as well.:smile2:

ABU, MORRUM 7700CL "" ABU 7000iCS Pro Rocket "" ABU RCN60 High Capacity,

Daiwa Millionaire CVX 300 A, CVZ 300 A, These reels stand right beside the RCN 60's,,might get a little bit more distance casting with them too.

20. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    when it comes 2 catfishing dont 4get about the mighty open face!!!! if u can achor it in a rod holder its hard 2 beat.i gave about 25 bucks 4 mine its a shakespeare prius, wuoldnt take nothing 4 her, but then again whatever u have confidence in.i do know u dont have 2 spend a arm and a leg.