Recommended Fishing Line Size & Type

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by 4JS, Jan 11, 2009.

1. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I just purchased a used set of rod N reels ( "9" 6500 Ambassadors on 8'6" Pinnacle Power Pro's).
    Question?

What type & line size do y'all recommend for this type of rod N reel combination?
    These will be used for catfishing from the shallows in the Stumphole Swamp, Trees in Lake Marion, Canal, and Lower Lake.

I have used 30" Cajun red in the past and like it, but was wondering if a heavier line or a braid would be a better choice.

Thanks for your Help.

2. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    I know you are going to get different opinions, but I would recommend 80lb. braided line with 50lb leaders. Especially if you are going to be fishing in the stumps. It will save you a lot of broken off fish. If I am fishing the timber my drags are as tight as they will go also. GOOD LUCK!

3. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the braid line will be the best no lighter the 50lbs with 40lbs p-line leaders this should handle any kitty you will encounter

4. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I agree you are about to get alot of differant answers. I trust Berkley Big Game products and will only use 30lb mono from them. Hasn't failed me yet. I have this line on that exact same real and it does great.

5. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use 6500 c3 and 7000's with Ugly stick light tiger rods 15-40lbs class rods.

I use 40lbs big game mono in green with 50lbs camo line for leader.

I have used 50lbs big game main line but drop to 40 since I never lost a fish with 50 even when they go in teh trees hold on and let them work themselves out.

You might like braid but I dont personally if you do go with braid have a pice of broom handle or pvc pipe on board that stuff will cut you like a knife if your hung up and pull on teh line....trust me just about everyone who has fished braid can tell you a braid cut story.

Curt
    PS
    You going to get a million answers all differant on this one.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use 100# Power Pro braid exclusively, with a 50# mono or fluorocarbon leader. When you hook up with a biggun using braid, you don't worry about line failure. You can really turn big fish much better with it, and if you have to drag 'em through snags, you'll be glad you have it. I think the 100# braid is equivalent to 14# mono in diameter. As for having to have a broom handle or piece of PVC handy to break off lines, it's NOT necessary. Just wrap the line around the reel about three times, and you have a pulling platform. Having the leader at half the test capacity of the braid, the leader will break 99% of the time before the line does. On a Carolina rig, the lead is above the leader, thus you only lose a hook at each break off, and not the lead too. I always used 40 pound Berkley 'Big Game' mono until I was "taught" the best approach for the overall success in landing the big fish. I'll never look back now, and you won't either if you try the braid. I also suggest the Gamakatsu 8.0 Octopus circles to further increase your hookup/landing ratio. Congratulations on your great choice in reels, and WELCOME to the BOC from Bennettsville!!!
    Bill in SC

7. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Guys.
    This is good info.
    I have never tried braid.
    How about tying braid vs mono?
    Will the same knots work or does a particular knot work better for braid?

8. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    With 9 different rigs, nothing says they all have to be alike,..put something different on each one, and see which one YOU like.:wink:

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The double palomar knot suffices quite nicely with braid, I've NEVER had one single knot failure with this knot. I snell all my hooks to the leader, and palomar the swivel to the braid.
    Bill in SC

10. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    I use #30 big game and have not had any trouble with it. But if I was going to stumphole I might would use a #50 leader. Like someone said in another post maybe mix it up and put braid on a couple. One good thing about braid is that u will change it less than mono.

11. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I fish the stumphole area from march to may and can tell you that braid gets mighty expensive in that area. You ARE gonna get hung up....many , many times in that swamp. I use a good mono for the swamp, 40 lb main with a 50 lb 2ft leader.

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Another easy way to break braid is by using a leather glove , one of those light yellow work gloves. I wrap it around my hand once or twice and give her a pull...no problem. The no stretch helps you. I also use the same glove to mouth fish when I'm tired of getting chomped on ; )

My biggest problem with braid is that many times it doesn't break at the leader, no matter what size leader I use. I get it wrapped around something somehow, line wedged in rock , etc. , it just happens when ya ( or me ) fish timber/structure enough... So the biggest down side to braid IMO is the cost , other than it's the best,,,again..imo.

My spinning reels all get 50# p-pro / 40# Cajun leader but I would rather use the 65# if I could find it here.

Bait casters all get 30# main /40# leader, Cajun . I could step it all up but it's pretty much where I draw the line. Both types are easy to tie and have never let me down.

-Jim-

13. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the good info.
    I may mix it up among the 9 reels and see what works best.

Your help is appreciated!

14. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    30 lb silver thread is what I use.When I first started fishing,my uncles showed me the ropes,thats what they allways used,it was good and cheap,you could get a 3000 yard spool for $20.00,so I have allways used it.I use the excalibur.Got it on my striper reels also,14 lb.I have some power pro on some trolling reels and like it also..Like someone else said,spooling up nine 6500 is gonna take a lot of line,I'd say try a couple mabey three kinds before you spend a lot of money and dont like what you got.

15. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good Thoughts & Comments.

Thanks!

16. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Back to the braided line! I do a lot of drifting thru the stumps and I lose less rigs due to fishing braided line. If it does hang, I can slap the rod and most of the time it will unhang. As far as getting cut from braided line: I have never been cut once. I use baitcasting reels and I wrap the line around the reel if I need to break it of. I can see where spinning reels would be a problem.

17. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    50lb p-pro main and 50lb billfisher mono leader.. about 275 yds on the spools (as much as they will hold on my 6500's off a new 300 yd spool)

all hooks snelled 8/0 Gamagatsu

18. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 New Member

State:
    Central, SC
    I have used 30# big game line for years and never had any problems with this line. Have landed some good fish over the years, just remember, the "DRAG" is the key.

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The drag is NOT an option when fishin' in heavy cover. You give a big fish an inch in the rivers I primarily fish, and he's history. Certainly for lake or bay fishin', the drag is an option. That said, I still prefer 100% 100# braid for ALL fishin' circumstances. Anchored, drifting, in structure or not. Again, I like my leader at half strength to the braid, so it will fail when hung, BEFORE the braid. If you have the braid test and the leader test the same, then the braid is just as subject to break as the leader, thus wasting EXPENSIVE braid.

Bill in SC

20. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    For me it is 80lb power pro with 50lb cajun or big game leaders for the big boys. For the smaller fish I use 20lb solar big game.