Recommended fishing line for long distance casting

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by bass&cats, Aug 17, 2009.

1. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have been fishing areas were I need to make realy long casts. I have an 8 foot medium heavy rod whith 30 lb braided line, and have been using 3-6 oz wieghts. They have been getting me out there pretty far but im haveing problems with the braid snapping on my casts and cutting on big rocks. If I switched to a heavyer, or diffrent braid other than my spiderwire, would I still have those problems, or should I Just switch to mono?

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have had the same problem with 50# power pro breaking on rocks and such . I switched to 30 pound berkley big game and so far its awesome . I have two new boxes of 65# ugly braid I plan on trying out and seeing if it still has problems . If so I am planning on switching all my poles to big game . Which will also save me money ...lol

3. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Are you using a shock leader?

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The berkley trilene XL is best for long smooth casts.

5. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Bass and cats,you need a shock leader and that will stop you breaking line on your casts.It needs to be long enough so that it has a few turns on the reel,and of course down thru the guides to your leader,etc.

6. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I never thought of that. Thanks a lot for the advice, I should be set now.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Josh,
    30lb braid does not have the abrasion resistance of even 20lb mono. If you are fishing in current and drag on the line is factor then not only do you need a thin line for casting but also to reduce the current drag. If you are fishing a lake then the current drag is not really an issue. I would suggest you use 15-20 lb mono with a 65lb shock leader to a 15-20 lb hook leader. At long distances this won't give you much hook setting power because of the stretch.
    Braid will give you that hooking power back but you will have to go up to 80-100lb test to get the abrasion resistance you want. Still use the heavy mono shock leader to the lighter hook leader but not so much for it's shock properties as it's abrasion resistance at the business end and you will be good to go...W

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    need just to switch to mono you wont have that issue:wink:

9. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    If were talkin mono....sufix hands down...braid....power pro.

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you want distance, you need small diameter line. If you need a strong line with a small diameter, you need to be casting braid. I don't know what size fish you catch or what type reel you are using. I tried casting #50 power pro with my 6500 and 7000 Abu's and had trouble with the line digging in to the spool. I switched to #65 and have never had a problem since. I will also recommend if you use braid, do not keep leaning back on the rod to get out of snags, this pressure is what makes the line dig in. Use a stick to free the snag so the pressure is off the line going on the spool. If you use mono, Breakaway makes a distance mono which has a small diameter. Good luck.

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I forgot something else. If your line is snapping, be sure to check your guides, braid will cut through most non ceramic guides. I think most of this occurs when the line is spooled on using the same rod you fish with. I always put my reel on an old rod when spooling on braid, then switch the reel to the rod I fish with.

12. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I run 40lb test trilene big game. I have never had a problem with it breaking. It has awesome memory, casts like a dream, and i couldnt be happier with any line. When fishing the river i do notice some nicks in the line BUT it hasnt broke yet....