Recommendations

Discussion in 'Capt Steve's RV and Camping Talk' started by alands94, Jun 26, 2008.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    My wife and I are considering buying a used camper. We are looking for something that is simple to operate and pull. Would you recommend a pop up, pull behind, Class C motorhome, etc.? I have a wife and baby, so throwing a tent on the ground is out of the question. We will need basics such as a stove, microwave, freezer, refrigerator, bathroom, etc. Thanks in advance!

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I always did like those pop-ups for portability. Bryan has a nice one, I am sure he will chime in on this one :wink:

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I cant remember who it was, but at the last National Gathering, a member stuck a small window A/C in a pop-up,"Temporary Cooling", it worked out well.

4. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I don't have a camper. I think there are a lot of questions only you can answer that would effect your decision, however.
    How often do you plan to use it and is the investment worth that. How far do you intend to travel with it. How about gas costs. Lots of stuff to think about.

For instance; my father has a 35' Class A with slide outs and all the bells and whistles. It has less than 2000 miles on it and it is sitting there rottening. The tags are still on the seats. Paid six figures for the thing and now it's worth maybe 1/3 of what he paid.
    Back in the early 60's, when I was a child, he had a tent. Used it every weekend and then some. :confused2:

What I would suggest is to RENT what you think you may want. Try it out. There are RV rental places around here that rent everything from the pop ups to the Class A's. Maybe you can find one around you.

Good luck...sounds like family fun to me!

5. Veets

Veets Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am on my second pop-up and like it real well. Mine is an inexpensive one that lacks a lot of the bells and whistles. It does have air, furnace and a small refrigerator. It also has an indoor/outdoor stove.

It lacks a toilet and shower but most campgrounds have those and they are usually reasonably clean. You can also use a porta pottie if public toilets aren't acceptable.

As stated above you can get anything from a bare bones unit to one with all the bells and whistles you want but you will pay accordingly. I have never done it but renting might be worthwhile. You could get the feel for what you think is absolutely necessary.

I got by minimally with my family when the kids were young but it was difficult. We had an ice box and stove and that was it. With outlets in the camper we added a dorm fridge, electric heater and a microwave and got by OK. I also did make due with my old unit by removing a window and using a widow air conditioner and it worked great. It was also a lot cheaper, $85 as opposed to $500 for a factory installed unit.

I would say you would want minimally a small fridge, furnace and stove. Air conditioning is a very nice addition but you can get by with a good fan most of the time.

I would have liked a toilet and shower but I was never able to afford a unit with that built in. Those things seem to take the cost to a whole different level.

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a truck camper. It is nice because I can pull my boat along. It has some bells and whistles. I really like the micro/convection oven. I can make biscuits with it.

The bad thing is fuel mileage. My F250 4x4 with it's 5.4 gas engine gets 7.5 to 9 miles per gallon. This spring it used 600 in fuel just to go to TN and back.

I also camp where there is no electric so I had to buy a generator to use the microwave. lol

My nephews have pop ups and they are pretty nice. It just takes a while to set them up, kinda like tenting it. With the truck camper I just try to get it level so the stove is level and I'm good.

Mine has a good sized bathroom, and when you get older, That's nice. lol No walking to some camp jon.

7. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Aaron,
    I have a 19' trailer I've had for two years. We absolutely love it!!
    It has a few bells but no whistles. If you plan on using it very often, it's the way to go.
    We took ours from Oklahoma to Colorado for 10 days last September with NO problems.
    Most people understand there's a decrease in mileage when towing a trailer. Just budget for it.
    If you're just camping locally, it's a negligible amount.
    I figure with the cost of motels, we still came out ahead on our trip.

8. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Hi Aaron,
    Wendell and I started out with a tent but as my physical condition deteriorated it became to difficult to tent camp.

We then came across a good buy on a used pop-up that had a king bed on one end and a full on the other. It also had roof AC & Heat. It was great all around except for not having a toilet and shower. We used a port-a-pot and just took showers in the campground bath houses. They pull very nicely and are not bad on decreasing gas mileage. Only trouble was we couldn't pull the boat when going camping which wasn't a real major issue for the most part.

We then got a really good buy on an older Dodge Cobra mini motor home with "full" kitchen, full bathroom including tub/shower, central heat and AC. While we had the advantage of being able to pull the pontoon with it the downsides were that when camping once you set up and hook up power, water, etc. you either have to leave it sit right there or unhook everything every time you want to do somewhere, whether it be sight seeing, putting the boat in the water, etc. Also with an over the cab bed and a baby you would have to climb up and down into/out of the bed to get to the baby. Most all motor homes come self contained (for fresh and waste water and sewer) and with a generator so should power go out or you camp with no hookups for power, sewer, water, etc. You will also have the added expense of tags, tax, and insurance on another vehicle.

Again due to my physical problems it was very difficult and actually risky for me to get in and out of the over the cab bed.

We sold the pop up and the motor home and bought a 28 Ft. travel trailer and couldn't be happier. Everything is on one level, central heat and AC, fully self contained, full kitchen and bath, separate queen bedroom, sofa, and entertainment center all making it very comfortable and convenient. We can't pull a boat with it but in our case that is no longer an issue. The gas mileage is not much better than it was with the motor home but the benefits outweigh that for us. Once its set up and the vehicle is unhooked from it we are free to come and go as we please.

Hope this helps you see some of the pros and cons of each and helps you out some.

One thing that really is a consideration in your case is what you would be using to pull a pop up or travel trailer with. After that, it will depend on your personal preference and what you feel would be best with taking a baby along.

Good luck in your searching.

Barb

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Another thing, is get one with a good sized frig. Mine holds quite a bit and the freezer will hold 4 1/2 gallons of ice cream, and keep them spoon bending cold. I really like that refrigerator. Keeps beer,pop,everything good and cold on 12v,120v or propane.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got a good laugh reading the part about the tent in the 60's......And then your dad buys a motorhome.

We bought a popup in the early 70's. Used it for almost 20 years. Then bought a new 32' Class A. Our kids are always mentioning about taking them camping in the popup for all those years..... and as soon as they leave home we run out and buy a new motorhome! :smile2:

You are also right with your suggestion about renting before buying. We first rented a trailer... then a popup. We also rented a motorhome before we bought.