Recommendation for a beginner

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by steveg442, Sep 14, 2006.

1. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    My son is thinking about a buying a muzzleloader. I have never use one and have very little knowledge of brands or even what is required. Can some one help us out or point us in the right direction for a good quality starter package? Are the package deals sold at Wal-mart and Bass Pro complete enough to get started and go hunting with?

Thanks for any help.

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Thats what I did. I got a combo package from Basspro. It had just about everything including a instructional video. I still look at that every now and then. It was a CVA 50. cal hunterbolt magnum. Its not anything fancy but it puts a hole in whatever I shoot. Id recommend them and the 209 ingnition primer. One good thing about the packages is that you usually get all the little tools youll need for the gun.

3. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    The Packages At Wal Mart Are Not Bad Deals For Beginners . I Believe They Carry The Knight Wolverine With The Starter Kit(correct Me If I'm Wrong).knight Makes A Good Gun But The Wolverine Is The Low End Gun For Them.there Are Better Guns Made It Just Depends On How Much You Got To Spend.you Might Want To Go To A Gun Dealer And Start Asking Questions.accessories Can Add Up Quick.you Will Have To Buy More Powder -primers Or Caps-sabots-lube-nipple Picks-etc.etc.etc.i Think Knight And Thompson Center Are About The Best On The Market Hope This Helps Ya .