Recipes Needed

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by johnliester, May 2, 2009.

1. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    Hey gang, there's a lake near my home that's just loaded with huge grass carp. Some well over the 40 pounds too! What I'm looking for are recipes for cooking and or canning the monsters. ANyone here help a guy out? Thanks in advance, John.
    Here's a couple of pics of these carp.

Attached Files:

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    For carp you can boil two or three cups of water, add some peanut butter and quaker oats (oat meal), Stir it up and let it cool. Add enough oats so the mix is fairly dry. I don`t carp fish anymore but this is what we used for years.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm curious to know how you're catching them because I've tried a couple times with tried and true carp methods to catch some of these 'monster' grass carp with no success. I'd come to the opinion that they were nearly impossible to take on r&r, but it looks like you know how.

On your question concerning cooking or canning, I don't know about grass carp and their 'palatability' as compared to other carp, but canning fish is not a preferred method for preserving because it's labor and energy intensive, tedious to do, and requires a lot cooking which can change the fillets to mush. Freezing is nearly always preferred for fish, but canning will cook the bones to mush also which is why some folks can fish of the sucker/carp family in the first place.

Check this site out:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/alaska_can_fish_qtjars.pdf

4. trackerpro17

trackerpro17 New Member

State:
    Nc
    I don't know about cooking them but those are some monsters.
    I too would like to know how you caught them.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont have a recipe ,But maybe I can steer you in the right direction. My Late uncle used to but up kokanee salmon that he snagged in season here in New mexico. The method used was to put in jars 1/2 pint or so add a little water and pressurecook for the reccomended time. I'm sure if you google pressure canning you can get more info. You might look in members cookbook in the diner,[if you get a recipe you can also share there]:cool2:

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Years ago I used to catch carp and buffalo at Rend lake and give them to an old guy that was a friend of my fathers . I always fillet it for him . He would score it and batter it with andys fish batter . He said the key to it was having his grease super hot . I have never ate it or cooked it and dont fish for it anymore since the guy pasted away long ago .

If I was going to have to eat it I guess that is the way I would prepare it . I also heard somewhere that if you cook it on a pine board in the oven for 45 minutes and after you take it from the oven throw the carp away and eat the board . lol .

7. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    When I was a kid we used to fry and can carp all the time and they are GREAT.
    To can -you filet the fish leave the skin on so SCALE the filets, cut into like 1" pieces stuff all you can get into your jars, we used pint jars, 1tsp salt, 1 tsp catsup, put into pressure cooker and cook for 99 min.
    I'm telling you that you drain and put on a cracker and you willnot be able to tell if its salmon or CARP.
    To deep fry, filet fish, no skin, score filets-cut almost through the meat every 1/2" roll into your cormeal-flour mixture and deep fry.
    Your oil must be very hot--smoking hot-- use peanut oil--the little bones will dislove and all ya have is a good piece of fried fish, I know most people would not believe this but there are fish houses all the Missouri that they all sell fried fish that are cooked this way.When you roll your fish in the batter spread your fish apart so the batter gets into the scores-- very important:big_smile:

8. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    pre heat oven - mean while- put carp on a good board ( yes plank of wood) and seasson to taste then bake in over for 30 or 40 mins or so then trash the carp and seasson the board to get rid of all the carp taste then eat board.:0a30:

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Best advice I,ve heard so far!:eek:oooh::smile2::crazy::eek:oooh:

10. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    I knew a old guy that had the state record for several years,He always used mulberry leaves for bait. Use a bobber and and let hook with leaves float on top of the water,when they hit you'll be in for one hell of a fight

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Me and my family eats buffalo sucker, lots of it in the past. FYI, there is no comparison in taste between buffs and carp; fresh buff is delicious, but, like carp or any other sucker, it's boney.

Scoring the sides of white suckers (whole on the bone, not filleted) with a knife vertically and horizontally in order to open the meat up in order to cook the fine y-bones to a crisp so they can be eaten works pretty good. I've tried scoring the thick buff fillets prior to cooking, but IMO, it's easy to overcook it, and I don't like 'thinning down' those thick fillets.

With buffs we pull the cooked fillets apart down the middle with our hands and 'pluck' the fine y-bones out of the thick fillets before eating them [see pic #1]. One will work a lot harder getting the meat from crab legs than doing this.

Notice the rib cages in this mess of cut up buff [pic #2]. The rib bones are big and the rib pieces are cooked and eaten like a piece of chicken, 'right off the bone'.

[pic #3] Some buffs in a live net (look like carp don't they?).

Attached Files:

12. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My mother canned hundreds and hundreds of pints of carp - my younger brother shot enough to can 90 pints one year! We caught them at spawning time and either shot them with a bow or gigged them. SHe had no recipe for preparing them but my late wife helped her put up a batch and wrote down exactly everything she did. Here is the recipe:
    Canned Carp I
    Ingredients:
    Fish
    Salad Oil
    Salt - Use only sea salt or dairy salt in the jars, other salt is okay for the brine solution
    Water
    Instructions
    Prepare Ball brand or Kerr brand jars and closures according to instructions found in Canning Basics.
    Clean the fish well, fillet and remove larger bones. Make sure all of the skin and all the kidney (Black strip inside body cavity )is removed. {I like to make sure no skin is left on the fish, inside or out - skin out the fillets before cubing them.}
    Wash well and put into the brine solution: Dissolve 1 cup salt in 1 gallon water to make brine. Cut fish into chunks -about 1" to 1 1/2” pieces. Let soak in brine 1 hour. Drain for 10 minutes. Only process in half-pints or pints. Pack fish into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Add ½ teaspoon salt to half-pint and 1 Teaspoon salt to one pint jars, same ratio of vegetable oil - 1 Tsp for 1/2 pints and 1 TBS for pints. Do not add liquid to jars. Wipe jar rims clean. Screw lids down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met - fingertip tight. Process half-pints and pints 1 hour and 40 minutes at 10 pounds pressure in a steam-pressure canner. May take more time or higher pressure if at higher altitude, a canning guide should give more detailed recipe and recommendation.
    The bones will be soft just like in canned salmon, especially if you wait for a few weeks before using. You can make fish patties with the meat, using your favorite recipe - couple of eggs, chopped onion, bell pepper and crushed saltines works for me. When pan fried they are as good or better than salmon croquettes - no 'tin can' taste. Also works well for most salad recipes and has a milder taste than canned salmon.
    AS to the grass carp, I don't know about this as I have never seen or heard of anyone using them for anything, food wise. If you do can some, please post back and let us know how it works.

13. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    Thanks for all of the replies gang! These carp were taken by bow and arrow. I have noticed as the water warms up they fight a whole lot harder than they did in March!!! I'll have to try the canning recipes and find out how well they taste. Hate to waste that big of a fish! Thanks again, John.

14. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have seen them caught on chicken livers but not often. Great info guys! My uncle said he alway pressure cooked them but never went into detail about how.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR