Recipes for bluegill

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by lightningmetal10, May 1, 2006.

1. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    Anybody have any bluegill recipes at all. I have a ton down at my local fishing hoel but no way to cook them haha. I can easilly reel in a good 7-10 in an hr and im looking for a way to cook em whats best? filleting or gutting and cooking? I tried filleting once but theyre so small its tough. Any advise at all would be amazing. Thnx in advance guys

Joe

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I fillet them and then roll them in flour with a little lemon pepper and then fry them. It's not much but its good.

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I think that they are too little to fillet. I just scale them, cut off their head, gut them, roll them in flour/cornmeal mix, then fry 'em up in oil or butter. Bluegill are probably THE best tasting freshwater fish. It's between them and perch, and MAYBE walleye.

4. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Scale em, off with their heads, gut em, dip in egg, roll in flour/ corn meal, toss in the grease. Those guys out of the ice or real early in the year almost have a lemon taste of their own. I think they are one of the finest eating fish I know of.:still_dreaming:
    Don

5. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fillet all my fish. Here's a great-tasting way to cook them. I usually save mine throughout the spring & early summer, then have a family/friends pitch-in fish-fry. You'll have to "adjust" the amounts, as I usually cook 10-15 pounds of fillets. I use a stainless-steel pot on a propane burner (like a turkey deep-frier) with oil.

A couple eggs, a tablespoon of mayo (real mayo), alittle salt/pepper, and a can of beer. Whip this together with a fork (mayo may be alittle "lumpy", that's OK). Rinse the fillets good & pat them dry with papertowels, toss them into the mix, move them around alittle to get an even coating.

I use Fry-Magic (for fish/chicken) comes in a box at the local grocers, dump some in a large zip-lock baggie, add a few fillets & shake them for an even coating.

Add these to preheated oil until golden brown, drain on a large platter with papertowels to soak-up excess oil.

I make tartar sauce too.....mayo & pickle relish....lol, kills me everytime dad's over for fish.....he goes on & on...says it's the best he's ever had....& he's 85. This is good on panfish & cats as well.

Smitty

6. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    When you fry them whole with the head and guts gone, do you leave fins on or cut them out?

7. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Before i gut them I make a cut to open them up. I usually cut along the bottom fins on each side, then just pull on the front backwards. This ripps out the fins, their bones, and a lot of the inards.

8. ~CATFISH~

~CATFISH~ New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    scale them then fry them... thats what i do

9. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    Go to your nearest grocery store and pick up a package of Golden Dipt fish n chips batter and a normal size can of beer. Mix em together until you have the right consistency.Then dip em, let excess drip off and fry in vegetable oil on medium heat.Believe me, it's real easy,cheap,and tasty.

10. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    filet bluegills. roll up filets, stick a toothpick thru filet. put them in a steamer,(or boil) them for 3 minutes. lightly season, dip in melted butter, shrimp sauce, or hot sauce, great appetizer.
    catwacker