Recipe: Pecan Patties--taste like steak

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by festus, Nov 30, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

One Saturday a couple years ago I had the pleasure to try pecan patties at a friend's family reunion. Some of the vistors were vegetarian. The lady that gave me this recipe is nearly 90 years old and still drives a car. Her husband died less than a year ago at the age of 93.

Anyway, I got me a serving of this thinking it was country steak and gravy--it sure resembled it. Man it tasted great, I asked who cooked the dish and how did they get the steak so tender. A few folks started snickering, then I was told there wasn't a drop of meat in it. I had to get the recipe, even though I've never tried cooking it myself, I've been lucky enough to invited back to try it again a few times.

PECAN PATTIES

8-10 slices whole wheat bread, torn into bits (homemade bread is best)

1-8 oz. bag Natural Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese (Kraft)

1-1/2 cups pecan meal

2 large onions, finely chopped

4 to 5 large eggs

1 large can Cream of Mushroom Soup

1/2 can evaporated milk

Vegetable oil

Mix all ingredients, if necessary, add a little milk. Shape into patties, and fry in vegetable oil. Transfer into casserole dish, Mix 1 large can Cream of Mushroom soup, family size, with 1/2 can evaporated milk. Heat
    And pour over patties & bake at 350 for approx. 1 hr.

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i just printed that out and im taking it home tonight

awesome recipe

3. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Let us know how its works out for you Jeffro !

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    :tounge_out:ill have to go round up the pecans from the back yard im sure...probably be next week lol :smile2:

think ketchup be good on it? if it aint i dont want it :wink:

5. festus

festus New Member

Jeffrodamis, if you like ketchup on your country fried steak and gravy, you'll like it. I actually thought those little chunks of mushrooms in there the first time I tried it was meat. They can make some good phony meat loaf, too, without the meat. They use cottage cheese and some more stuff you'd never dream of.

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    One of my grandsons can take one french fry and consume a whole bottle of ketchup.:smile2: