Recipe for Redtail Hawk:

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Sep 7, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Don't tell any of those guys in the Boy Scout looking uniforms I am asking this question here. A Redtail got into my guineas today. First hawk problem I have every had on this place in 23 years. Coyotes, mink, coon, foxes, feral dogs, horned owls have had their fun times, but this is the first time a hawk has made his presence known. I assume it is migrating and may not see it again.

If it comes back it is hawk stew or should I bake it? Anyhow, have an assortment of things called guns and need a suggestion on the brass. He will be a distance and it will have to be heavy when it catches up to him.

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i think it is safe to say that it may not be legal, much less morally right to shoot a hawk. but seeing as how i can definately understand your predicament, i cannot say i would not do the same. and with that being said, if i had the same predicament i would look into a 12 guage Xpress Long Range shell in a #4 shot. it might help with your problem. As far as cooking goes, you are on your own with that one. but i think a nice light coat of cornmeal and some hot grease might solve that problem also. :wink:

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Ya don't think those guys in the Boy Scout looking uniforms could help you out? LOL

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mucho thanks for the suggestion JC. My answer would have to be. Nooooooo! Those boys already have me on their "to see" in case of cataclysmic disaster in the wildlife world. And when they drive in they don't hand me a tract like the Jehovah Witnesses. Thanks anyway.

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa

Now if I had your problem and I wanted to flirt with jail time I'd pull out the old turkey gun with 3 1/2 in shells #4 and if this was a wiley old fowl killer and wouldnt get close I'd pull out .17 cal and turn him / her into a feather pillow no cooking would be needed with .17. Reminds me of a time in Minnesota my chickens and turkeys kept coming up missing. This went on for 2 weeks. When one day I was out in the yard and seen a black blur cross my vision!!! It was a bald eagle!!! He swooped down stole one of my turkeys and made off!!! I checked with local game warden and was told it was the eagles right to steal my thanksgiving dinner!!! I said but these arent free ranging cause your wolves decimated half the flock already. I said I already have them in 8 foot fence. He just laughed!! Well a couple of days of thinking it came to me!! I bought some black mess and covered top of pen and waited. Sure enough that darn eagle made his fall for some chicken and hit the net!! I had it tighter than a fiddle string. He hit that sucker like a trapeeze artists and when flying back up in confusion. He never came back!! The game warden had his son ask my son on a daily basis if I had done away with the bald eagle. My son told him no my dad is smart as a fox!! :tounge_out:

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Crap John, guineas are irishmen from Philly......turn em loose for goodness sakes. That's against the law. Surprised you haven't had a visit in the dark from some guys driving big showey sedans.

OO buckshot on the first and second car over the cow gate, then go to rifle.
    Seems like an ole fart like you could stay out a trouble by now. What? Did they say you owed em money for a union job somewhere?

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hmmmm quite a sticky situation,John glad its not me ,But since I live in town any loud gun like noises are out of the question.223 does wonders on long range prarie dogs and coyotes ,might solve one prob and creat another :eek:oooh:as for recipes Im at a loss .You might try puttin it on a cedar plank ,bake for 3 hrs at 500 throw away bird and eat the plank:wink:

8. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    its up to you wheather you shoot it or not but id suggest keeping it quiet and dont keep the skull or feet or feathers around either cuz thyll thro you in the slammer for having them. as far as recipe itll be bread and water:sad2:

9. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    RedtailHawk, yum yum......tastes a lot like blad eagle!!:tounge_out::eek:oooh::smile2:

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good gum drops. Dont you know by now. Let anything thing run loose, its game. LOL.:sweat:

You got/had a lot of critters. I bet the tamales or good in your area, and taste different every time.:tounge_out:

I say handle it like you have the other critters. Or put the guineas up, in a safe place. You wont em, take care of em.:wink:

Myself. I enjoy seeing Redtail Hawks. They take care of the cats around here. LOL.:cool2:

And some was worried bout 30 snakes. :roll_eyes::smile2:

Recipe for Redtail Hawk: From Texas.
    kill a Hawk. Get a rope.
    Kill it, go to Jail and pay out the .............................
    :shame:

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    sorry but i cant believe you posted this.
    if you are hell bent then do it and keep quiet i guess.
    being as they are protected then by you saying your going to off one should make it ok for anyone to do anything ,anytime ,anywhere ,regardless of law or principals then in your eyes.
    as long as it is for your benifet then its ok?
    it would benifit me to have several thousand extra dollars at my disposal
    but i aint planning on knockin over a bank.
    i like raptores and would never knowingly harm one .
    i would exaust all possibilities before killing one and then it would be between me and it.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    Mr.Beetle ive checked our laws and its says i hAve the rite to protech me and mine up to and including lethal force.no Where can i find where it says humans only so i take that to mean any thing that is doing me harm.do what you have to do then haul it out on the hyway .it will look like its been hit by a car.as far as eating one i wouldnt.tried a crow once and it wernt worth the effert.

13. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Have had the gamut of poultry. Chickens, guineas, ducks, geese, turkeys, bandies, peacocks. Cant stand anything penned up. After 23 years finally had to get rid of the chickens. We went to mulched gardens and flower beds and the chickens literally destroyed them by scratching and dusting. The ducks and geese were like a plague. Esp. the Muscovy, dirty buggers but good eating. The turkeys were OK, except the toms could actually cause you damage by flying up into your face. Company did not like them at all. They also can give wild turkeys some serious diseases, and the wild turkeys would actually come to the barnyard with the tame turkeys. I got rid of them. Peacocks are beautiful birds and I like them. They however have a voice like a woman screaming. Got on your nerves eventually. Couldn't keep them off the roofs, car tops, or the TV antenna. Company didn't like them landing on their shiny new cars and scratching the roofs. Guineas have been and will be my favorite.

Used to have about 35 around continually. We used to have 4 different color types. White for some reason was prevalent. Mistake. A free roam hen makes its nest in the tallgrass. Hard for her to camouflage herself. Horned owls would pick them off at night like they were eating popcorn. Have 14 guineas left. 13 males and one female. She came in with 15 keats in June. When they hatch, until the young can fledge they will stay on the ground, outside. Foxes picked off 9 of them. Luckily not the hen. We are down to 6 young. I have seen raptors hit many things. We feed a lot of birds in the winter. The list is too long to type here but after so long we quit counting the kinds and just feed them now. Hawks will get into them in the winter. When a hawk is near, the feeders can set empty for days.

I used to take care of injured raptors for the DNR. I built cages for them and could have several here at one time. You should have seen the domestic birds when they saw those creatures penned up close to them. One of the most interesting was a trumpeter swan we had. They are beautiful and big. I just let him free roam with the ducks and geese.

When we first moved here from Chicago, we had a little mutt we had picked up off the streets. Tiny little guy and uglier than my first mother-in-law. We called him Ugly. I let him out one morning early, still dark. He disappeared. Found his little body on a fence post North of the house. He had been horned owl struck. My brother went out one morning early, one of those late fall days when steam comes off the grass. He saw something steaming in the field. It was a fresh kill hen turkey that had been owl struck. They eat only the head and down to the breast and leave the rest go. We had two orphaned crows we had about a year. They were called Fred and Alice. Raised them from barely having feathers to they were adults. Never penned them up. They came and went until they just disappeared one day. I loved them. They however were one of the biggest pains in the rear of all the birds we have had. You couldn't put anything shiny down without them picking it up and disappearing with it. People who drove into the yard were instructed to leave their windows up. They would take anything they could carry from the car. I never did find all my sockets from my socket set when I was working on something and they were around.

I still make bird houses for wild birds, both field and timber. Squirrels usually destroy the timber ones. The field ones are primarily for bluebirds, but everything else uses them from mice to snakes to every kind of bird but bluebirds. I enjoy birds a great deal. I think this Redtail was a migrater. We are on the Mississippi flyway and it is amazing what passes through here each spring and fall. More than likely we won't see him again. And before I bead, lead and follow I will give him every opportunity to go down the road and kill somebody else's guineas.

I put this post up a little tongue in cheek. After the moccasin thread and the he$$ that got raised over that, I thought I would poke just to see some responses.

Thanks for responding. John

14. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    John,
    When I read your first post I thought you had to be kidding after all the crap Tex got about the snakes. Actually, I don't believe you would kill the hawk.
    Whatever the subject matter, you do have a way with words.
    What the heck are you doing up at 3.15am?
    ...W

15. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for your response Winston. I ain't gonna kill it unless I have to. However, if I have to I will.

The time thing is normal for me. Has to do with age, health and the amount of beer I have in me. Something also to do with my prostate, after two times out of bed heading for the can I just say the heck with and stay up. Were that I were 18 again. But I would still be up for other reasons. Heheh. John.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Now I enjoy seeing hawks as much as the next person, and more than many, and I'm not about to shoot one just because it's flying over my property, or even landing in one of my trees, But if one attacks one of my pets, we're gonna have hawk gumbo. I enjoy squirrels in my yard, too. Love watching the little critters run around, both on the ground and in the trees. But if one gets the idea that my attic is a great place to live, it's a dead squirrel. I had to replace a whole bunch of wiring that they tried to eat about 20-25 years ago; lucky they didn't burn the place down. Every couple or three years after that, I'd have to pop another one, till we moved to Little Rock. The squirrels are smarter here; they stay out of the house. So do the coons that come right up to my sliding glass door to my driveway to eat the dry dogfood I always keep out for the dog. I guess I'm trying to say that if a critter stays with what mother nature intended for it, that's just fine, but when it starts to attack people, pets, crops, gardens, buildings, etc. a person is fully justified in killing it.

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I like that joke, LMAO!!!

18. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I hope you are joking about killing a hawk. The bird is only taking advantage of a food source. To the bird there is no right or wrong, no morality, just a chance to get a full belly. Your domestic birds breed like insects, but not so for the hawk. Think about the life cycle you are destroying before your break out the shotgun. Would you like to dodge pellets when you're just trying to feed yourself?

19. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I personally know that hawk went by 40 acres of pheasants, quail, a timber full of grey and red squirrels and I personally would have hand fed him any one of them. When food is on the table why go out and catch it. I got no problem with the hawk eating. I like to eat too. But I ain't going to take a handout to get it, and neither is he.

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You made my day!Ah,youth!You sound like a day worker.Things broke round the clock.I have worked all kind of hours all of my life even is a child.Also coon,hog hunting and fishing.Even known to stay up late a courting in my younger days.Do I see darkness in your picture?Pain keeps most old folks up at night.Your turn will come if you live long enough!It ain't worshiping the moon,though you do a lot of praying for some relief at times!Thanks! I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee