Recent Trips

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by John6518, Aug 12, 2008.

1. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Joshua and I have been doing fairly well over the past couple of weeks. We stayed at home duing our 105+ temperature days, but got back out last weekend before the rain started. Been catching a lot of fish in the 5--25 pound range. We release 95% of what we catch but the folks at the office pester us for fillets so we clean a few.

Last saturday I made two casts with my net and caught more shad than I have ever caught the the entire time I have been fishing (froze all the ones we did not use fishing). Why are there so many shad now?

Also last Saturday--one bite after another with the devils stealing my bait. Using my old standby 8/0 circle hooks. Problem was fish would never load up rod and get hooked. Just stealing the bait. Move to cut shad so not a lot of bait is exposed to nibble, without nibbling the hook, too. Not a bite. Go back to full size shad, one bite after another, no hook-ups. Start thinking maybe it's a sneaky gar, turtle, etc. Then I remember reading on here about stinger hooks.

I really don't know exactly what that means, but I took a small 2/0 eagle claw J hook I had in my box from 25 years ago for trout fishing. Took some braid I had--am using 40 pound Berkley Big-Game mono on reel--and tied on hook, then tied to the eye of my 8/0 circle. Hooked the little hook into the tail of the shad--started catching one after another--ALL CATFISH--even big ones. All caught on the little hook.

Lost a good one on the little hook, so I moved down to a 4/0 Khale and started setting the hook to break a neck. Kept catching one after another. Never caught three different species in one trip--caugh blues, channels and a flathead. No monsters, but many nice ones.

What is up with the bait stealing, crapie bites? I am use to having bites that I am afraid I am going to lose my rods.

John

Attached Files:

2. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Taught Josh how to string 'em up!

John

Attached Files: