rebuilding my jon boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by brewfish, Feb 7, 2008.

1. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    Well long story short, I’ve been broke for a while and it doesn’t look like that is going to change in the near future so I’ve been faced with a dilemma...have no boat at all or buy a old junker and fix it up as I get the funds. Well the choice was obvious to me so I am now the proud owner of a fixer-upper jon boat. She ain't no beauty queen nor do I think she ever will be but I think with a little TLC and a few well spent dollars I can make her a fine fishing machine. I thought I would share my progress with yall as I go along.

The first couple of pics are the boat when I bought it. Looks like this one has seen it share of travel (i.e. the Ohio fishing sticker and I live in FL). The guy I bought it from used it for duck hunting so I am tasked with repainting this thing as well as just rebuilding it. I ended up grinding off all the carpet & carpet glue residue, which in hind sight I would have just left since it’s going to get decked over anyways….I guess it was just pissing me off looking at it though LOL.

That grey stuff on the rail by the bow of the boat is where I had to fix my botched attempt at brazing aluminum. If I could give a person working on an aluminum boat only one piece of advice it would be don’t try welding or brazing it, leave it to a professional!!! There was some little screw holes in the rail of my boat that I wanted to fill in so I thought I would be slick and bought some of these alumaweld rods and a little map gas/ oxy setup. Unfortunately aluminum doesn’t melt or glow red when it gets too hot it just disenagrates. I ended up going from a little screw hole to one large enough to stick my pinky finger in. I bought some 2 part epoxy putty to fill it in and that stuff works like a champ, once it’s painted no one will ever know about my little mistake.

I cut both the front and rear seats out to make room for a front and rear casting decks with dry storage underneath. The next thing I’ll do is get some angle aluminum welded up so I can bolt it to the boat. I probably could get away with 2x4’s but I am trying to keep the boat as light as possible. This is going to be what I bolt the plywood to for the front and rear decks. Once that’s done I’ll rebuild the transom and then can finally get around to painting.

Feel free to give me any advice or suggestions you might have as 2 heads are always better than one.

Joe

Attached Files:

2. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    more progress pictures

Attached Files:

3. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    That looks like a fishing machine waiting to happen. I'll be watching closely and very interested.
    Mine looks a lot like yours and needs a good facelift

4. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    I have come to the conclusion that the hardest part of painting has got to be all of the prep work involved. I spent the better part of Saturday with a razor blade scraping old decals & stickers off the boat and sanding. The bottom had a couple of nice little dings in a couple of spots and in one little area it had some pretty gnarly scratches that looked like they were caused by being taken on and off a trailer scraping a bolt or something. Nothing threatening to the hull integrity but still ugly none the less. I bought some 2 part epoxy putty and took care of that, got it sanded back down and am just about ready to paint.

Attached Files:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The number 1 thing you are doing correctly is taking the time to do it right. With all the work you have put in this thing, I'm sure it will turn out all right. The best thing about a boat like this is that you can customize it to meet your specific needs. Can't wait to see the final product.

6. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Joe, it looks like you are going the extra mile in fixing up your Jon boat. No doubt it will be a real nice looking machine when you are finished!

Bill

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    congrats on the boat its looking good !

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    You know if you make it to purty, the catfish will avoid you.LOL The Boat is starting to look good though, keep it up. Later Andy

9. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    looking good.. i feel your pain, i'm doing the same thing to my old jon... 30+ year old stickers and paint sure do take some elbow grease to remove.

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    she is beautiful.....I diid my boat last year-no paint just floor,lights etc.....then the trailer is in progress now,hope to have my boat on it by this weekend.Yor gonna find it gets expensive but you know what its all good...and when you take er out you know what you have....I am gonna keep a eye on you and see what you do end up with....you just cant beet a jon boat.....looking good

11. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    Thanks for all the kind words.

I am just starting to realize what it's going to cost me to get this thing where i really want it. Heck a nice fish finder is going to cost as much or more than i paid for the boat, motor, trailer. Such is the fate of a poor fisherman. :smile2: That's ok though because once i'm done i'll know i'll have a soild rig for years to come and everything will be just they way i want it.

I'll keep yall posted as i go.

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    keep it up ur doing a good job

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Joe, thats not a bad lookin rig. I've fished out of junk all my life. Would i like a new boat, heck yhea, can i afford one, heck no.

14. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    I am looking forward to starting a project of my own. keep it up and good luck! can't wait to she how she turns out.

15. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Good lluck with the boat Joe, I enjoy having project boats like that, I have had 2 of them before. It was kind of my therapy to go out in the shop and build something to my preferences...Good luck with the boat, it looks like she is gonna turn out just fine.

16. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    I finally got a little more work done this weekend. I had the braces welded up out of ¼” X 1 ½ “ X 1 ½” aluminum angle beveled at the ends (so it will fit flush against the sides of the boat) with a plate welded on the end. I drilled holes in the plate and attached to the boat with ¼” SS panhead machine screws and used some blue locktight on the nuts.

The sides of the boat were pretty gnarly looking where I cut out the bench seats so I’m covering them with some ¼ plywood. This covers the nasty edges of the cuts and also gives me a place to attach things to the side of the boat without having to drill more holes in the side of it.

The floor and the decks are covered with 5/8” plywood. I still plan on putting in additional wood bracing with the aluminum braces to accommodate places to put in hatches. The next steps are going to be painting the boat and then coating all of the wood with some type of water sealer and then carpeting it. I plan on carpeting any places that get walked on and the rest will just get some water sealer and possibly some sort of paint. I’m sure it would look nicer if everything was carpeted but I’m trying to keep the boat as light as possible not to mention being as frugal as I can with what funds I have for the project.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii155/jberardino/boat/DSCF1729.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii155/jberardino/boat/DSCF1730.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii155/jberardino/boat/DSCF1731.jpg
    http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii155/jberardino/boat/DSCF1732.jpg
    http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii155/jberardino/boat/DSCF1733.jpg
    http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii155/jberardino/boat/DSCF1738.jpg

17. mmuckleroy

mmuckleroy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey , Joe looks like a little elbow grease and time and you will have a great little fishing boat. Pretty boats dont catch more fish.:big_smile:

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Looking good ! Its all worth it believe it.........

19. vaccouple

vaccouple New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    looking good Joe keep us up dated. Thinking of some ideas for my v bottom.

Orrin

20. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    looking great.. nice job