Rebuilding An Old Pontoon Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Ace, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    In February of 2006 my son Scott received an old 1984 Play Craft pontoon boat for free.It had been sitting in the lake for 3 years and was in bad shape.The motor would not run. The foot had been in the water all this time.My friend Dragger borrowed a trailer and we went to retrieve the old pontoon from the lake. It was cold and raining that day.I took my trolling motor and mounted it on the front of the pontoon.We had to move the pontoon about 200 yards to the boat ramp.At first it did not look like we would make it. The ride was slow going but we finely got the pontoon to the ramp and out of the water.Then we removed both plugs from the pontoons and about 50 gallons of water ran out of each of them.The previous owner had left several bolts out of the of the railing that holds the fuel tanks in place on the rear of the pontoons and over time they filled with water.After about 4 hours we finally got the old boat home.

My wife and I started to remove the railing.I had to use a sawzall and cut all the rusted bolts to remove the railing and the seats,and the old canopy.Next my wife removed the old carpet while I was at work then we removed the floor decking which was coming apart.Then we cleaned all the railing and the pontoons and the motor foot with Aluminum Bright.That stuff works great.

1 We replaced all the flooring with marine grade 3/4 plywood I treated the top side with Thompson water sealer and left the bottom side untreated so it could breath.

2 We replaced the old carpet with new out door hunter green carpet.I used the glue that they recommended.

3 I built a fuse block and rewired the whole system and fused all wire to the positive.

4 We replaced the railing with all new stainless steel bolts,flat washers and nylox lock nuts.

5 I restored the old console with new treated wood and restapled the old cover and padding with stainless steel staples.I also raised the console 3/4 of an inch off the floor so water would not stand under it.

6 Replaced the old steering with a new one from Bass Pro.It's a single point hook up.The old one was froze up.

7 On the rear of the pontoons where the fuel tanks sit I glued some rubber mates I bought from Lowe's and replaced all the missing bolts in the tank railing.

8 Installed the new aluminum top that brother Dragger fabricated for me and wired the over head fluorescent green lights for night fishing.The green ones will not blind you and installed a rear spot light and the rear running light.

9 I replaced both the plastic fuel tanks with new metal tanks and new gas line.

10 Removed both the carburetors.Cleaned them and replaced the fuel lines.

11 I also added 6 of the large dock bumpers 3 on each side and two 100 feet length of anchor rope and my new bait tank.

12 I mounted 10 rod holders made of 316 stainless steel that brother Dragger made for me.

13 I installed a new Bottom Line depth and fish finder.

14 My wife and I decided to leave all the deck furniture off and use deck chairs.

15 And finally we were finished all we needed was a trailer so we went to the marina and bought a new galvanize Wesco pontoon trailer we were set to go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:look_down:

:cat:

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Good looking job earnest. I love our toon it is a 1984 24 ft barge and when I bought it it was in good shape except the bearings and tires were about gone.

It had a 5 on a 5 lug hub and I swaped them out with a 5 on a 4.5 hub because the wheels for them are easier to come by. You need to add you a small gas grill and at least two lounge chairs. That make for some easy sitting when the bite is slow.
    The only other thing I am going to do is put a bigger motor on it because with the hard top when the wind is up it make for some hard steering. I love the hard top though and is real easy to drop and raise.
    If you run upon a good 60 or 65 merc motor for sale down your way yell out I might be interested in it.

3. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Wow,

You sure made that old Pontoon boat look great Ace. You didn't say how long it was in your post. I sure wish I could find a deal like that. I suppose if I want one I will just have to spend some money....lol.

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice job Ace, I like to do that kind of stuff myself. I have been looking for a project toon for a while now. I got some good ideas from your toon. Thanks for showing off your work. Good job. Later Andy

5. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Good job Ace, I know it took alot of time and effort and it was worth every bit of it! Thanks for sharing!

6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    great job ace i hope to find a deal like that im looking right now lol.

7. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Ace: Great Job !! Now go out and enjoy it, slime it up good.

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    looks great ace when you going to dirty it up or have you already

9. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I got finished with it in May and used it all summer it great to have all that room my wife and family love it .

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Nice looking retro fit Ace.

Free boats. I look at them all the time. There are actually organizations in the wooden boat community that work along these lines.
    You can adopt a boat (They all need work) or they are for sale for little of nothing or well under their past values.
    Granted alot of these free boats are big untrailerable boats that would take a second and third mortgage to restore but not all of them. Its nice that there are people that have given a part of their life to help in saving parts of history from different eras and different boat builders. Alot of the older most notorious boat builders are dead and gone carrying with them their many secrets of the trade they have developed or hopes that they will build just one more of something or license you to build one using his plans.
    Ace brought his craft back to life. He didnt just get a pulse out of it ,he didnt stop until she was fully recovered.:smile2:

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Looks great Ace. I can tell you put a lot of time and labor in it.

12. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Awsome job Ace.Thanks for sharing.

13. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Thank you Mark for your kind words I always liked old things an like to tinker with them.

14. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    thanks from me as well mark , 2 summers ago i had a 40' house boat give to me but no way to move it :lol: i went and looked at it wow it needed every thing but the hull , the floor was gone all the ribs were showing no motor the windows were busted out it was in poor shape . would have been a nice fixer upper :lol: but not for me

15. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Ernest, that's awesome! Glad you, Linda and the family are enjoying all your hard work. I wish I knew how to restore a boat, I have a good-sized deckboat in my driveway that needs refurbishing. It would make a great fishing boat I'm sure. There's a gentleman in Maiden, NC that runs a place called The Pontoon Farm. He buys/trades older pontoons, fixes 'em up, and sells 'em. He deals in the Westco trailers too. A couple years back we inherited a pontoon from a cousin. I called every marina in this area to price trailers, since that was not included. He had the best deal of anybody around. We bought a brand new galvanized Westco from him that will fit a 20-24' pontoon for $1400.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I get a publication called wooden boat builder.
    Some of the best articles in the magazine are the ones covering rebuilds.
    These arent your average boats being rebuilt. Some are sailing ships that are over a 100 years old that have 60 man crews working on restoring them.
    others may be a smaller craft sail or motor of 18 feet. This month it was a 32 motor cruiser I think. These boats are valuable boats for one reason or another but most likely they were working designs, limited numbers produced, and the builder long dead and gone.

Some are so far gone that they wind up disassembling whats left and using the spars, ribs, keel, etc as patterns to build a new boat from scratch.
    Some of these boats are awesome in detail, fit, and finish. Truelly remarkable what some of these old wood boats are worth. I saw one of the 30 foot old triple cockpit Chris crafts not long ago for 350,000.
    Makes you want to go look for a few shoved into corners of garages up on the northern lakes where they were so popular.

17. bigun12

bigun12 New Member

State:
    Texas
    You done good Ace! REAL good in fact but I'll betcha that rebuildin that thing really cut into your fishin time!:wink:

18. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Beautiful boat ya got.Thanks for sharing!:smile2:

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Now I know what boat to look for on Wylie!!! Do you keep in the water year round?

20. Grub Worm

Grub Worm New Member

State:
    Texas
    great job

your hard work will payed off
    t he boat looks great