Rebuilding a boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by pfoster, Mar 25, 2008.

1. pfoster

pfoster New Member

State:
    kansas
    Does anybody have any info on rebuilding a 16ft v-bottom aluminum boat. I got the boat yesterday , it was free, and I dont know where to start. It is an empty shell/hull.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    It all depends on what you want to do with it. Words of caution: do not use treated wood on aluminum, it will eat it up. You can use regular plywood covered with epoxy.Try to keep it as light as possible.Aluminus is the best choice but is expensive.But since you got the boat for free its worth putting some money into it.

3. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    post up some pics of what you have... congrats on the free boat.. word of warning though.. your free boat can get pretty expensive if you don't watch out.

4. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Phil, I have sent you a PM.

5. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Here is my 14ft aluminum boat. It started out as nothing but a row boat. here is what I did with it. I am currently re-doing the back area so I can fish more comfortably. I am taking the aluminum part of the rear seat out, putting the wooden top that is built on the floor ( cut it down to size first) then all I have to do is add an extension to the seat bracket. But it's a nice fishing boat and now I am removing all carpet and spraying a great new liner on it.. it's made by durabak. I will take some pics as I am doing this. http://www.dskellogg.com/boat.html

6. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Dustin, that is a very nice looking boat now that you have improved it so much! I really like what you have done with the front deck and seats.

What is the brand of the boat?

7. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    It is a mid 70's model Aerocraft