REBUILD OR SCRAP IT????

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by shadguts, Mar 15, 2009.

1. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    O.K. guys, I have a 1979 90hp merc. A tower of power as they call them. On my last trip on the river I heard several noises and a couple good jerks at the motor. I started the motor today at the house and it definetley has a noise in it. From my experience it sounds like it's probably a rod bearing. Not sure how to tell without tearing it down. The noise comes and goes at different rpm's like a bearing in a car engine would do. When I throttle up the noise goes away until the motor reaches the desired rpm, then the noise is back. I know you can't hear it from there. I am mechanically inclined and have built a couple car engines. My question is this? It's an old motor, is it worth the effort and the money to go thru it or should I just start looking for another engine? Compression was 145, 185,185,185,185, and 185. It's been that way for two years and @ 800miles on the water. I also have a complete 78 115hp that I've robbed of a few parts. The 115 had the same noise so I was scared to run it. What do you think? Where would a fellow get a bearing and gasket set?

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    dont know never ran mercs im a johnston man.sanford marine in memphis on jackson has parts .good luck if i run across any old mercs for parts ill let you know bro

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    lol i cant see myself

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Its always been hard for me to part with motors simply because I really enjoy working on them. That being said if the problem is infact what you think it is, could get really expensive even to do it yourself. Tough call bro, especially with peak fishing season almost here. I had an Evinrude 112 that I fought with for almost a year. Fixed it for the last time and sold it, just installed a 150. I am sure more problems are just around the corner!:smile2: Good luck with whatever you do.:wink:

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Chris there are more and better economical engines to tie your money up into. I would venture to say that you have a wrist pin turned loose instead of a rod bearing. At best those ole tower of powers were hard on fuel and equally as hard to work on. I would try to find a better and newer one but stay off e-bay doing it,

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Bubbakat... that sure sounds like sound advice.... with the economy the way that it is... get a boat and a motor at good price.... then trade the boat or sell it...

Bayrunner Ray

7. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the input guys. That ole "tower of power" sure has been a good one. Like bubba said it does like the fuel. I can't complain I gave $300 for a boat, the 90, and a trailer and have sure put some miles on that old merc since. It's put me on alot of good catfish. I'll start looking for something a little newer.

8. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Buy a new e-tech 90hp for your boat it will run a long time for you.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Chris , Where do you live at. I may be able to put you onto something close to you.