rebuild cost to much

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by cliff n york, Oct 31, 2007.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i dont own a boat yet but was curiouse, at what price are point do you say that cost is more than its worth to repair an outboard

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I know there are gonna be alot of oppions here but I bought a boat that had a 1959 30hp johnson and it didnt need alot of work but I ended up selling it and buying a used/rebuilt 15 hp because of the adge and cost of the parts,besides that I take kids on the river and I wanted to be sure of what I had.A ole timer bought it and is running it .He rebuilt the carb and put some new seals/waterpump in it so....????

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Generally that would be the point where it cost more to rebuild the motor than what it is worth. Now lets say you can buy that motor for $500.00 any day of the week, but to completely rebuild the motor would cost $600.00 at Elmer's boat repair. It has exceeded it value or break even point and should not be rebuilt. BUT, lets say YOU can rebuild the motor for $300.00, parts and labor. In this case, it would be economically feasible to rebuild the motor for personal use or for resale. You have to somewhat divorce yourself from the situation and look at it with a practical eye. HOWEVER (and isn't there always BUT'S) if the motor has sentimental value as it used to be your grand fathers, or your fathers, or some other person important to you, it may warrant a rebuild even if you loose money in the process.