reason for joining

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by poopdeck [patrick], Aug 25, 2009.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I would like to start out what I have to say by quoting our mission statement."Our mission statement To Promote, To Preserve, To Perpetuate says it all. It seems there was a discussion last night about over fishing certain areas, mainly downtown St. louis. From what I picked up, it was feared that too many people are finding out about the good spots. Well isn't that why we joined BOC, and specifally Gateway Cats? I myself joined for one reason, to catch more fish. Sure I like to make new friends and learn new techniques but the number one rule in all of fishing is to be where the fish are. It was even brought up that non Gateway people were comming in here and reading our threads. First off these are members of Boc which by its very name means they are our "fishing brothers" I like them comming here, it helps attract new members and promotes the site.I actually think there should be more imformation sharing than there is now. Should a person who has the time and the resourses and experience not share with the others how to catch the fish? A lot of people have to work or have a social life or a wife and children and there for do not have the time to fish that much. The person with the experience should come in here and share, thats how we perpetuate. Catching these fish should not be left to a "elite few" These fish are not going to be "fished out" To a man I have seen all members of Gateway Cats catch and release. commercial fishing does more damage than we can ever do. Do not be a "catfish snob" If you want to be a snob fish for bass or trout. Share what you know and help your brothers catch fish. Mrs and Mr okie I do not think it was directed it towards you guys or anyone in general. We all get a little sensative but I have this to say to you and everyone else.We all pay for our gas expenses ect and were all here to catch fish. Fish where ever you want. I know if I hear the fish are biting at a certain place thats where I am going. I just hope my so called "brothers" are going to point me in the general direction.I want to know what they are biting on the depth where they are at and anything else to catch them. Once again while making friends is find and dandy, I joined to catch fish so it's your duty as a fellow member to help me and all other members out. Well thats my two cents I hope I have not pis*d anyone off.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  2. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    I'm also here to catch fish, learn and catch,teach.
    Promote, To Preserve, To Perpetuate
    As A Club Member Or Not:embarassed:

I'm sorry if i offend anybody in my past post and statements that i made, not intened.:wink:
    We all should be a team in the gateway club, and help.
    Tourney fisherman don't want give up there fishing spots i understand, but
    in regards to the club they should.
    Just point us in the direction to catch fish (small or large).
    Or if i find spots-i do the same for you.
    Have a nice day:roll_eyes:

3. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    There are a lot of ramifications for doing what you suggest and it is not quite that "Black And White"of and issue.
    I do like to show people spots and getting them on fish. The rewards to me personally are great seeing someone put a new PB in the boat, but it can and has come back to bite me.
    Is it fair to me to spend 100's to 1000's of dollars on gas and countless hours on the river to find some good holes to post them or just reports on here and the next time I go out to those holes there are people setting on them? There are more people than we know looking at these threads. I personally have made post here about new spots or shown pictures and had people on them the next time out. Some times they were BOC members and some were not. These are spots that previous to that I had never seen anyone on.....Ever!
    Not trying to seem like an A$$ but it does and has happened to me and others. I wish it were as easy as you suggest but it's not.
    My $.02

4. SLIPKNOT

SLIPKNOT New Member

State:
    Alton,IL
    So let me get this straight? I know I have been laying in the dark the last month due to my busy season gettin ready to start. But, you want everyone to show there spots, tell you where and when to fish? When I first started catfishing I didnt even know about the BOC. It wasn't until I fished one of Justin's tournaments 2 years ago that I learned about this.
    I agree with Swamp and he states a valid point about goin out after posting pictues and finding someone sitting in your spots. Pattrick are't you retired? You have more time than anyone to fish! Just cause this is a catfish forum, I dont see people beggin for spots on Waterfowl forums? It takes more than a 3 hour trip out "targetting" flatheads to catch some Big Blues. Ya I may sound like an ass but you are basically naggin the whole club for not showing you spots...... You got a a boat, NICE fishfiner....I'll let you do the rest of the math. People wiht Social lifes dont' have time to Fish?? Bill Rowe is the best example of someone wiht a social life. Working 40+ hours a week, hanging with his lil girl, keeping the wife happy, and trying to catch a fish, and a lot of them along the way. If that don't sound like a social life then Idk what you call one. I think I'm not gonna be the only one saying something, but if I am thats fine with me. I could go on for hours....I'll stop for now..wow

5. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I think everyone is pretty liberal in sharing information. However I do not blame people at all for not giving out specific spots. As swamp said you can have a ton of time and money invested to find spots and if you tell where they are on an open forum other people are gonna be fishing them. Now when most people post reports they are plenty happy to say if the fish where shallow, deep, hitting shad, mooneyes, etc.

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Couldn't resist:eek:oooh::tounge_out: probably should though..:eek:oooh: I aint a gateway member but i am a BOC member:big_smile: I did not join to learn other folks fishing spots:wink: If you take me to your spot to fish i will thank you & never return without you being there plain & simple. You probably invested some time & $$ finding it. I have a Big Nice catfish boat, excellent graph, rods reels, etc....It is a challenge & fun finding new spots to fish:wink: Now if someone finds one of my spots thats ok:wink: But i will be damned if i ever give GPS coordinates so everyone can find fish..I share my knowledge of equipment, rigging & tecniques, & even the water ways we fish....I even respect my best friends spots & they dont care if i fish it.:wink:

7. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Did I ask for gps or honeyholes? No I did not, but throw a dog a bone. I asked for the general direction. I will figure the rest out on my own.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It’s a tough thing to know what to share and what to keep to yourself. Share too much and a lot of your time spent figuring it out goes down the tubes. I’ve personally paid a price because I shared too much. Share too little and what is the point in having fishing buddies, spending time on the board, etc?

No, I’m not a member, and because of geography, I’m not likely to be one. I hang around here some mostly because you are a fun group, and yes the comments about non members do sting a little, but I like to think they reflect individual opinions and do not reflect on the entire club.

The thing about being a Gateway Cats member, does paying $40 obligate you to share? Is it a payment for information? I’ll guarantee that most of the top tournament guys don’t go around sharing everything they know, most of them work hard at figuring the fish out and hold that pretty closely. I wouldn’t hold it against the club guys when they do the same. Even at that, I bet they share a lot more information in person than they will post up here to be immortalized for all to see.

Personally I’d get encouragement just from seeing what other people catch, what is possible, and soaking up what information is shared. Over time you can learn quite a bit here, but just like fishing, it requires some patience, and maybe the right bait. My advice….. chill out a little, there is little to be gained from pushing people to share what they don’t want to share. If anything it might drive them away. Maybe a more productive approach would be to start some threads like these:

“Rigging for the Mississippi?”
    “What Baits work for you?”
    “Sonar – What do you look for to find fish?”
    “How do you fish the main channel?”
    “How do you fish sand flats?”
    “How do you fish scour holes around St Louis?”
    “Do you fish the barge tie offs?”
    “Does anyone drift the river here?”
    Etc

You get the idea, cultivate some positive interaction that may loosen some lips or keyboards.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Catching these fish should not be left to a "elite few">

Man, that was kind of a crazy post. Pay your dues and spend your time and money on the water, and you too, can become one of the "elite few" as you posted. No one rides for free so quit whinin' and start fishin'! :roll_eyes:

<there is little to be gained from pushing people to share what they don’t want to share. If anything it might drive them away. Maybe a more productive approach would be to start some threads like these:>

AMEN to that!

Bill in SC

10. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Looks like you stated your intentions pretty clearly to me.:roll_eyes:

11. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hey Pat, there is a lot big fish caught every year below Alton Dam and the Down Town Area! Hows that for throwing a bone? The fact of the matter is none of us own that river. There is no such thing as My Spot! I have names for alot of the spots I fish on that river and I name them after the people I show'd that spot to and then I see them fish it day in and day out. I don't know how long some of you have been running that river but I have been running that river for a long time I can remember days upon days of fishing without ever seeing another boat. I can also remember when I used to post my fishing reports on this thread but I was called a liar because I wouldn't post any pics. It wasn't good enough that I was below the dam in 35ft of water using 8 ounce weight and all they would touch was goldeye head. Nope I was called a liar because there wasn't any pics. Hey I can tell you right now you can only catch so many 50lbs fish and it starts to look like the same fish with you wearing a different shirt. I had a nice little talk with Ryan last night and its funny to me to see some of the issues you guys are going thru with showing people spots I have been dealing with that for a long time. I fish against people in tourneys that never fished that river before and I took them out to catch fish and now there down there fishing day in and day out. Pat regardless of what you might think you know about me you don't know me. I get my butt chewed out all the time for being to open. If I remember correctly I think I told the Okies a spot to go try in the Children's Tourney. Sunday I showed them how to set up on a certain whole a little different. I can tell you I think I have done a lot for this sport maybe not right hear on this sight but as a whole I have done my fare share.

12. Mrs Okie

Mrs Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Illinois

13. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Yes I did, take down town St. louis for example. Well that is a big place with a lot of area to cover. If it was as easy as just going to downtown St. louis I would sell my boat and sit under the arch and fish. If they are biting downtown I wanna know. I and a lot of people know and have known theres some good places around there. Not one person has showed me their "honey holes" there and thats not what I am asking. Sometimes they may be biting below the Alton dam or maybe in St. Charles on the mo. or any of another of a number of places. I am asking for a general location. How that is being misconstrued is beyond me.

14. mylz17

mylz17 New Member

State:
    Birdsboro, PA

Them some pretty strong words there Patrick. As my father has always told me - "it's not what you say, it's how you say it". This post will no doubt fuel a fire. It even caught my eye, and I am a PA cat fisher and rarely view/post outside the state boards.

My 2cents:
    There are catfish everywhere in the river/lake/pond you fish. Some days a 'honey hole' might pay off in time spent, other nights you might get the skunk. Nobody can tell you exactly where to fish. They can tell you where they have caught fish (upriver, downriver, above this, below that), but it may not do you any good at all. Recent weather, temperatures, current, etc. all play a part in where the catfish may be on any given day. Structure is a great place to start, but even then you must keep in mind (and read below) the frequency it is fished. Is there trash all over the place? Do you see rod holders? Is the grass trampled down? Is there even grass?
    Buy a notebook or a monthly planner and use that to help you figure out your own schedule. Some places might produce better after a good rain. Others might have trophies laying in wait when the current is strong. Moon cycle? Water temperature? It's up to you to develop your own way and implement that.

Then, and only then will you be armed with the KNOWLEDGE.

When you have the opportunity and priveledge to introduce someone to the great sport of catfishing, you can take them somewhere and put them on fish without fear of the skunk. This helps PERPETUATE catfishing.

And yes, I believe it is entirely possible to overfish/fish out any area. It's especially true with the skittish catfish specieds. Do you think that same catfish that someone caught a few days ago is going to stick around very long if every night when it's out eating ... it's hooked, captured, photographed (CPR) before being released? Heck no, it's going to get the F out of dodge and find a nice, peaceful area to call home. Somewhere where it may only "follow the white light" every few weeks instead of every few days. :big_smile:

I leave you with this;
    Example is not the main thing in influencing others, it is the only thing.
    -Albert Schweitzer

15. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    Heres my 02. I am member of Gateway Cats and I didnt join it or the Boc so everyone had to tell me where to fish . I think part of fishing is learning what they biting on how they are feeding what type of structure there on. Thats why its called fishing and not called catching. this is the reason you dont see alot of people posting good fish on here the first thing anyone ever ask them is where did you catch that at. Good spots are hard to come by and I dont expect or even ask anyone to give them up. The more you fish the less reliant you haft to be on people telling you where to fish or even what bait to use. Once you quit relieing on everyone you then to can be one of those ( ELITE FISHERMEN) just my take on it.

16. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    ok heres my 2 cents if ya want to give the info then give it if not dont.

theres more than enough info on here to go figure it out.

there is one problem with giving exact locations on a open forum

commercial guys have and use computers
    now im not saying they are internet fishing

but if i put gps location or 3rd cell down from mm 146.5
    and say we are just catching the crap out of em you better get there.

im almost positive there would be nets there

best way to give exact info is in pms

later
    slider

17. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hmmm...from a BOC staff point of view I see some pretty dumb things to say or that have been said here. First and probably the most important is that "Non-Gateway people are reading our posts". Now I have to believe that only a very few would even think something so damned dumb as that. Cuz(Nanner) and Paul work together very hard to keep this site safe and free from needless arguing and comments only meant to fan already burning fires. Does anyone really believe that a club like the BOC would host a club like Gateway if some sort of agreement about that hadn't been made with the BOC's owner? The BOC is open to any and all catfishermen. That means anyone that fishes anyway that is legal. If we weren't, we'd be quite a lot smaller. For each and everyone of you that preach a particular method or ethical way of fishing, there are probably 20 that say nothing either way. And because we do let them see the Gateway threads, they see your points of view and why you think like you do about fishing...catfishing in particular. So what do you think would be best? And where do you think most of your members came from? Off the streets? Highly doubtful. I'd bet that even those of you wishing it weren't open to the general membership of the BOC found it how? Yep, because you joined the BOC. And more than likely without us, you'd be about 90% smaller than you are now. I'd say that wanting to keep the non-gateway members out of your areas would be like freezing your membership at it's current level. And if it were locked down 2 years ago, I wonder how many of you would even know about it?

As for sharing fishing spots? I think some of you were around when I made known my view on that. I thank god everyday that Catfishhunter(Jim Noles) didn't feel like this. He took me out to almost all of his favorite spots one day. That single trip changed everything for me. Take a look through my gallery and you can see a small part of what he did for me. It wasn't his fishing spots that changed me, it's the way he showed me how he found them, why he chose them and how he fished them. It opened up a whole new world for me. Now I can find my own fishing spots and have much to show for it. And you know what? The very same BOC that hosts your club gave me all of this and much, much more that I won't bore you with. What fisherman is really so full of him/herself to think that he is the only one on his favorite body of water that has the skills to find a good fishing spot? And who knows who is there when you're not. I can't say anyone is ever there other than you.....but neither can you say otherwise. You don't have to post your exact spots here. Not at all. But would it hurt to show how and why you chose a spot you really like? I learned how to catch big fish on this site, in this community, from all my friends here and I hate seeing people post how bad they feel that they've taught or shown someone else something they enjoy so much. I personally wish everyone could experience the rush I get when a big cat first hits and then feel the adrenalain high when I first see that fish. To not want to share that with someone that's never been there is pretty much hypocritical to me. We preach CPR so that our kids and others will still have the resource, some to the point of being a mini-peta within our ranks, and then in the next breath tell the world they don't want to share how to catch them or where to catch them. Anyway, to me the biggest problem here is the comments about non-gateway members being in your area. Any of you want to come fish with me? Come during the early spring and I'll show you each and every spot I've found. And you know what? I'll go back there long afterwards and catch fish over and over again. Why do I say that? I've been doing this for the past 7 years. Now take away the current as they have for the past few summers and I slow way down. It's like fishing in a lake, something I'm not very good at. Maybe someday, someone will show me how that's done or maybe I'll just plug along and figure it out myself. LOL

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  18. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    If you wanna pay somebody to show you exactly how to catch fish, hire a guide. I can't believe some of the stuff I see people posting lately.

19. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Whistler, that is basically what I was trying to say except you said it in a much more eloquent manner. As you can see I have been a member for a long time and I was always under the impression that one of the main reasons for BOC was to help us catch fish. I seemed to hit a raw nerve with certain people for asking for a little more help than I have been getting.

20. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hey Seth, who in that avatar is you? Driving or looking away? LOL With 30,000 members you are suprised at anything? Are you for hire as a guide? Who taught you how to fish for big fish? Read a depth finder? A guide? Too many very good people here to help with those kinds of things to pay hard earned money to learn. And I would love to see you come here and tell any guide you live nearby and get any useful info from them. LOL Not gonna happen. Only if you are from far away will they show you anything.