Rear Rod Holder System

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by TheGrizz18, Feb 15, 2009.

1. TheGrizz18

TheGrizz18 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey guys i'm new to the site but not new to the catfishing world lol. I am planning on building what they call it here in NC a "river rack" which is a rod holder that is placed at the back of your boat that is a straight bar that hold multiple rods. My problem is that i'm not the most creative person in the world and I was hoping that some of you guys already have made on of these and can pass along some ideas for my build. Thanks guys and tight lines to everyone.

2. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    yea and i would be intersted in that cmon somebody:wink:

3. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
  4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    A lot of different ideas. I started out with a 2x4 across the back, bolted to the gunnels, wasn't the prettiest but sturdy and served the purpose for under $5.

Go to lowes or Home Depot, get some galvenized pipe and bases for uprights, overhead door channel for your cross bar or 2x4.

Have seen guys make them out of PVC piping.

Do it really nice and get some aluminium stock u-channel or boxing, put angle across for the holder mounts.

Sky's the limit, just depends on how much you want to spend.

Couple pictures of setups below for ideas:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff247/sammons1525/P1010006-1.jpg
    http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff247/sammons1525/P1010002.jpg

5. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Christopher. What you're looking for is most commonly refered to as a drifting or trolling bar. You're just pretty much limited to your imagination. If you need 3/8 in. dia. rod holder bases you can use ceiling flanges from Lowes about 1.50 a piece. I use them with 6 in. carriage bolts and homemade pvc holder. Gonna mount mine so my bar can be across the back or undo one side and swing it to mount on the side of the boat as well. Dual purpose...

6. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    I have a hard time working with metal so I built mine out of a 2x8. put several coats of paint and then sealed it to keep the water from rotting it at all. actually the only time it gets wet is when its raining. I used a pedestal and took the seat off of it and mounted it on that. the left and right sides are cut and ride right up against the inside walls of my boat so there are no holes drilled in my boat anywhere. heres a couple of pics of mine. hope it can be of some help to you.

[​IMG]

and one of the underside of the rack. You can see i used the plate that is normally attached to the bottom of the boat seat. good luck

[​IMG]

7. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
  8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
  9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    My fishing partner had an old keyboard stand laying in the scrap pile. So we pulled it out and cut it up and we came up with this.

Attached Files:

10. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
  11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    There's also plenty of ideas in the BOC library. I found one that I am planning on making for my pontoon. Good luck with your search!

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Here's the way we did it. Simple and functional.

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

13. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    nice one bill have you tried her out yet ...SIMPLE is a hard thing to beat in a high tec. world (ie.) OLD SCHOOL.. thank all of the BOC members for sharing these wonderful ideas an PICS.

14. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a coupla pics of mine mocked up before disassembly and paint. Simple and to the point. Haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet though.