Rear ended!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by slabmaster, Apr 20, 2006.

1. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    ok im finally over being mad so now i need opinions. i recently bought a 72 richline on ebay.1975 tilt trailer with it for 660 dollars.both one owner garage kept excellent condition. i put a brand new 15 hp 4 st. merc el start on it . last friday i took my kid crappie fishing . on the way home we pull in the drive thru at the bank. while were settig there doing buissiness the car behind me runs int my motor.it was not her fault . a bank employee backed into her and pushed her into me. ok the motor seams fine the problem is with the boat. my transom is now bowed . i have not put the boat in the water to see if it leaks yet . we did call the police . there is a report on file. if my boat does leak should i A. try to fix it my self or be get the responsable partys insurance involved. my thinking is any insurance company is not going to give me what i think replace ment value is . if you went to alumacraft and bought a new 16 deep vee utiliy you would not have aany better boat than this 72 richline . which im sure is worth about 50 dollars to an insuransce adjuster .tell me what you think

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I would have there insurance pay to have it fixed. Thay way if anything happens on the water you have some means of getting it repaired with out any out of pocket cost. also who knows you may get a newer boat out of the deal.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    ME, I would have collected my money rite there and then! Wether it was cash,jewelry or what ever! LOL!

NAH! Looks like an unfortunate occurence that you are more than likely gonna get the short end of the stick on.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Well I really dont have any kind of a answer for you except for good luck. Friend of mine had a new sketer and he got rear ended while at a stop sign well after 8 months of fighting in courts and such he ended up losing about 4500 bucks on it.

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    File insurance claim for the boat. Consider the boat as "collectable" or "historic vaule" to the insurance co. If they try to say the boat is worth $50.00 bucks then tell them you don't want the fifty bucks, you want another boat "just like it". Keep in mind that if they declair it a loss and give you whatever you will probably still retain the boat.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, your gonna have egg on your face. Had a tornado set my mobile home down on my jon boat. Insurance was gonna give me $10.00. TOld them to keep their d... money and I'd keep my boat. Got it welded for $10.00. Used it for about 25 years after that.

7. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Guest

Had a kid run into us and his insurance man told me they would only give me so much for what we lost in the wreck. I told them they were going to replace everything and that was in our van, he told me, so sue us, I told him no problem, I would be happy to do it. When settlement time came it cost them exacly twice what it would have, I laughed in their faces. This was a bad wreck, him doing 87 mph and hitting us broadside, 18 yrs old with minumum ins.

8. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ok , lol my deduction is this take motor off . tie chain arround tree hook to boat jurk transome out put motor on go fishing . dad says poor folks have poor ways. :beat_brick: :beat_plaster: :go: (if all else fails)

9. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I hope I'm wrong but you had better get out the K-Y and lube up. The last time I was hit in the rear the guy said he had insurance and come to fine out it had been canceled. Lucky for me my insurance agent sent a letter and threatend a law suit and his grand mother wrote me a check. Hope you have the same good fortune.

10. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i know the insurance is good. im not really the sueing type . if it comes to that im just out a boat. the boat does have a sentemental attatchment though . the first boat i ever had was a boat exactly like this given to me by my grandpa just before he died. my first one was in storage and some rabbit hunters shot it full of holes. im guessing maybe im not supposed to have a richline deep vee.

11. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    As I've been told anytime you are rear ended, it's the other party's fault. Even if you slammed on the brakes and come to a screeching halt, they were following to close. Take it to your insurance company, tell them the facts and let the insurance companies fight it out. That's what you pay em for, or at least mine says that.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I would get a couple of estimates for repair or letters stating that it is unrepairable and submit them to the insurance company.
    Don't back down, That is what they want you to do.

If you know someone that works for that insurance company ask them to drop you a few names and numbers of someone to call in that company over the adjuster. This has worked for me in the past in terms of several more thousand dollars and a quick settlement.

Another recourse is your state insurance commissioners office.

The transom can be pulled back out, you'll just have devise a system for doing it that would exert pressure all across the transom and in a way that it is done gradually like placing something like some oak timbers on the inside and outside and using heavy duty clamps to try to pull it back out.

Post some pictures and let us ponder on it.

13. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks for every ones input. im going to a couple of dealers for estimates to fix it. then im turning it in to my insurance and the responsiable parties insurance. we'll see what happens.

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    turn Into The Ins.co. If Nothing Else If They Make An Offer Take It ,with Understanding That You Get To Keep The Boat Or No Deal And That You'll See Them In Court. Good Luck ,hope Everything Works Out For You.

15. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Fight fight fight. Man, I hate insurance companies. Insurance is a dadgum scam if you ask me. They're the best insurance companies that's ever been.... until you need to file a claim. Then you're not covered for being rear-ended by someone in that particular bank parking lot. Now, if it had happened on Sunday.... and it was a leap year.... and you were eating fried chicken with your left hand, it would've been covered.:rolleyes:

Good luck to you. LIke the other fellas have said, file that claim and hope for the best.

Jerrod