Rear deck mod?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by jconna, Mar 3, 2008.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    OK....The only other mod that I have been thinking of doing this spring was extending my rear platform to cover the battery/fuel tank area. I have a pedastol but that gives me very little standing room. I have been looking at alot of boat mod sites and I'm sure that I can do it with 1" aluminum L brackets and a piece of plywood with hinges. It looks like most everyone does this in their conversions but I'm a little concerned about fumes, etc....I suppost that I could place a 2" flush mounted vent in each corner to supplement air flow. I haven't seen this in any plans, but it seems to me that it would keep the fumes from building up? Any thoughts if this would be safe?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I think it would be safe, but that wouldn't keep me from being a little bit nervous about it.

Instead of a solid piece of plywood, consider using 1x4 or 1x6 western red cedar, and leaving a gap between the boards, like you would for a deck. Do it right, and it will look pretty cool. You could also use that new composite decking, instead of the cedar.

3. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Jeff is the fuel tank an portable or stationary. If its an stationary you can run an vent kit for the tank. To vent fumes from the tank out.

4. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i've seen little fan setups you can buy to vent the area as well.. good luck

5. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Yes, it is a portable tank....didn't realize they had vent kits but I'll look into it. If that's the case though, problem solved. It's just a 14' Jon and I'm trying to get all of the usable floor space that I can. Thanks everyone for you're thoughts and opinions.