Really weird occurance on the Big Pee Dee

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The water has been lower last year and this year than usual, due to severe droughts. Well, my pastor is a diver, and has hundreds of dives in the river, bringing up cannon balls, and artifacts from a couple of sunken ships. One was the HMS Robert Morris that blew up right down from the Cheraw landing. My pastor recovers items from the river, not for personal gain, but for historical significance. Well, he got wind that there was an old Indian dugout canoe sunk in the mud between the bridge and the rocks, right up from the Cheraw landing. It seems that several people had known about it. Today, we decided to try and locate it, and then return with a crew tomorrow to salvage it to put in the museum in Cheraw. Well, we worked our way up to the spot. When we got to the area that we had been given directions to, there was a big pile of NICE lumber lying there, and two stakes driven into the ground marking a spot. There was also a NICE 12 pound hammer with the US coast Guard insignia on the handle. Also found a brand new kayak paddle. Several pieces of the lumber were hinged together to form an A-frame, and there was a diagram of a winching system drawn on it. We were very perplexed, but finally located a spot where it appeared that someone had pulled the old dugout out. 'Bout that time the game warden came up. Before he got close enough to see who we were, he hollered, "What y'all doing"? I squinted my eyes and recognized the game warden and said, "Is that you Bobby?" Yes, he said. Well, he pulled up, knew us, and we explained the circumstances to him. He said that Saturday night, according to the Cheraw city police, a suspicious white van was seen speeding away from the landing at Cheraw with the back doors open. Apparently the officers were more interested in the round raft like contraption at the landing than they were the van. They took the raft contraption to the police station. It has all sorts of diagrams drawn on it, and the whole thing was a bolt together device. We assume that the device was constructed to float the dugout canoe back to the landing. It's amazing that the canoe could have sat there from between 200 and and several thousand years, and then disappear TWO days before we could get it and put it in the museum! If I had been able to go last week when the pastor asked me the first time, we would have had it, but I was putting on a roof and could not go then. Like I told the pastor, I guess it wasn't in the Good Lord's plan for us to get it. That being said, whomever took it, did so under the cover of night as they knew it was illegal to take artifacts from the river without the state's approval, which we were going to get as soon as it was located by us. If anyone from the Cheraw area has any insight as to who got it or where it is now, we sure would like to know, if for no other reason than curiosities sake. Who knows, it may show up on eBay! Kinda shady the way they did it under the cover of night, and left behind all the GOOD lumber and stuff which I happily brought home! :) Story of my life, dollar short or day late!! :) BTW: the round makeshift raft with the diagrams drawn all over it is sitting behind the Cheraw police department if anyone local wants to go look at it. It was a well thought out plan. Well organized and the folks who did it were pretty sharp. I DO wish the city police had been sharp enough to pull the van over and see what was going on.
    Bill in SC

2. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    That's an interesting story. You may be right about eBay!

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hat to hear that a peice of history will be lost like that. You cant trust those Coast Guard boys. JK LOL:smile2:

4. weshossman

weshossman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hey Bill hate to hear that.Now I wished I would have went fishing Saturday nite like I planned. But I had a bad headache. Maybe I would have seen something if I would have went cause I fish there at the bridge. Sorry!

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks, Wes. I was hoping you, Greg, or someone saw something.
    BB in SC

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Neat story.

Reminds of the story of the diver that was working on the dam. He said.....

:smile2:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is very strange and very disappointing. It sounds like someone has some type of finanicial gain coming to waste so much money on equipment

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, I have no problem with profit as I am somewhat of a capitalist myself. Heck, if I had found it before my pastor mentioned it to me, I would have retrieved it for my collection. I would, however, have done it by daylight. I don't consider the perpetrators thieves, but it was kinda shady the way they retrieved it. As far as I'm concerned, MOST anything I find on the river is mine. Same applies for anyone else.
    Bill in SC

9. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    The best thing I ever found fishing was an old SC Dispensary liquor bottle. This was about 40 years ago. I was about 15 miles down river from Columbia in the Congaree and had pulled the boat up on a sandbar.

I was wading out from the sand bar casting for White Bass and Rock Fish when I stepped on something. I reached down into the water and picked it up. Boy, I was proud of my old bottle! It even had part of the cork still in the bottle.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That was a great find indeed, Mr Travis! So far this year I have found a wheel on a rim which I put on my truck, (just kidding about putting it on my truck. It was good enough but wouldn't fit.), all that stuff yesterday, lumber, hammer, new kayak paddle, and I found a brand new camouflage boat cushion a few weeks ago. Found numerous corks, and a heap of good hooks. The river is a bonanza of "junk", and treasure it you look hard.
    Bill in SC