Really stupid boat seat question!

Discussion in 'Boating' started by SkipEye, Jan 7, 2008.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    My boat lives outside (poor boat) and the seats of course get wet when it rains and they soak it all up.:confused2:

Therefore, an otherwise pleasant trip on the river, on a dry day no less, is ruined by having a wet rear end from setting on the seat. Yes, I can wipe it off but the moisture is inside the cushioning.

Short of messing with garbage bags on the seats (or a boat cover) what do the rest of you do to combat this problem?

I know a boat cover would be the answer but with the rear rod rack, plus all the rod holders mounted on the rails, I would need a seriously custom cover and don't have the money to do that at this time.

Is there a simple answer for this dumb question?

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The simplest answer, you've already mentioned, trash bags over the seats. An oversized tarp with a center support would work. I used a tarp and supports made of PVC for years. Kept everything dry and out of the sun, also helped with leaves in the fall.

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I use a tarp, same as BAM and it works for me.

4. huls1

huls1 New Member

State:
    alabama
    trash bags or a large tarp worked for me but then i saved up and bought a small $500 carport and that has beed the best so far

5. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    When I had the seats on my boat recovered, the upholster guy added a thin plastic water proof covering over the seat's foam padding before replacing the cover material.

I'm not sure, but I believe it was just pieces of thin plastic painter's drop cloth.

Of course, the cloth got wet but it dried real quick.

A 50 gallon trash bag slipped over the seat, and tied at the bottom will also work as was suggested above.

Bill

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Cabela's Poly Cotton Boat Seat Covers
    $9.88 on SALE
    reg. 19.99

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Take 'em inside?

I went the carport route,...push the boat out, and fry fish/drink beer there, too.:smile2:

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    LOL! They are hinged bench seats that cover up the dry storage compartments. Can't take them out without a screwdriver and emptying all of my stuff out of the boat.:smile2:

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    May I suggest wearin depends when ya go fishin. LOL!

10. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Ya know George, I hesitated to post this question because I just knew someone would come up with that!

Why did I know it would be you?????LMAO!:angry::smile2::smile2::smile2:

BTW, I already thought about that but have you seen the prices on them things lately???:eek:oooh:

11. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Only stupid question are the ones that are never asked.

12. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :smile2:Depends was a GOOD one skipeye:tounge_out: Have ya tried spraying them profusely with silicone spray???? I dont have that issue but if they are cloth covered i bet it would work, you can always go to the trash-bag-theory:cross:

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    well sounds like short of a tarp or port them are gonna be hard to cover being the style? Maybe just dig your old plastic pants out of storage, you know the ones you had in the 80's:wink: I do spray mine with some of the silicon stuff a few times a year seems to help, then use the good ol 50 gallon bags.... Good luck, let us know if you find something new out there that works. only other thing I could think of for the style of seat would be to recover them with something water proof?

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    No, they are regular ole vinyl boat seats and boat is less than a year old.:confused2:

Should vinyl seats be holding water? After-all seats are under warranty for one year? I don't recall this issue over the summer but then again the moisture evaporates more rapidly too.

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I keep my boat outside as well. It came with a "mooring" cover, but that is not very good for foul weather. Was going to buy a cover for it, but really didn't want to spend the $250 - $300 for one.. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a BIG! blue tarp for like $20.. I LOVE IT.. Covers entire boat AND MOTOR.. I put that on then the mooring cover over it..

If you don't have a mooring cover, you can easily just strap it down.. Also, as stated above a PVC frame can very easily made if you need support.

16. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I cannot believe George said that. Before I bought this house with a garage to park mine in I used the tarp method. I took some 2x4s and made a support system so the water didnt fill up the tarp. But he carports are reasonable I understand. I'm gonna price them this summer to get my sons car out of my garage.

17. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Bob, it'd be cheaper just to get the son out of the house wouldn't it? :eek:oooh:

Well maybe he is one of your sons in the military, and if that is the case, then my 'joke' was in bad taste and I apologize, sir!:tounge_out:

18. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    He is in Iraq. But my sense of humor is alive and well and living right here. No offense taken. :smile2:

19. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree with BAM, your best bet is to get a tarp and some pvc pipe and make a boat cover. That is if your handy enough and not someone whoisn't allowed to use power tools. But the tarp and pvc is going to be the cheapest and maybe best way, without buying a cover.

20. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    depending on the surface on the bottom of the seat you maybe able to drill a/some hole/s to drain the seat.

Hope this helps,
    Ruben