really noisy tilt/trim on 2009 Mercury, normal?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Catfish Pursuit, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a new 2009 Mercury 90hp 4 stroke and ever since I bought it the tilt/trim has been really noisy, to the point that its annoying. Fluid level is full. I took it back to the dealer and they told me that it is normal and to not worry about it. This dealer has been less than cooperative since I bought this boat so I'm wondering if I should take it to a different Mercury dealer. I've had a few friends out at different times and they all said something about it before I even brought it up so I'm thinking something is not right. Thanks, Chris

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have no idea to be honest. But if it were me and something did not seem right, and the dealership was jerking you around I would take it somewhere else. Chances are if something seems wrong to you there is a good chance it probably is.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Chris, The tilt and trim on my Mercury 2008 60HP is noisy compared to friends boats with Suzuki, Yamaha, etc. But not so bad that I ever would have questioned if there might be something wrong. I agree with Tbull that if it sounds like there is something wrong there probably is.

4. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    I talked with Scotty earlier and he said that last time we were out fishing together, he and his dad were about 100 yards away anchored in their boat and noticed that it was really loud when I was trimming it in shallow water so I think it should be quieter. Will have it checked out again at a different dealer just to be safe. Thanks guys! Chris

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Chris I have been using the boat dealer off 291 in Lees Summit. Seem like good people to work with. Authorized Mercury repair. Who are you using?

6. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    I've been dealing with Midwest Marine in Harrisonville, MO, which is where I got the boat. They seem to want to blow everything off. For example, my trailer brakes are making alot of noise so I took it back to have them see why. I call and they tell me that the brakes are noisy because they are not working and the calipers are barely making contact with the rotors causing the noise. Then the Service Tech says, "Well, you really dont need trailer brakes anyway because your boat is light so just don't worry about it". I about lost it, he also said the noisy trim is normal and again "don't worry about it". To go a step further, the motor was turning 6300 rpm with the prop they put on the boat, 19 pitch, which is 300 more rpm that the limit of 6000. I call the dealer and he is more than happy to make me a great deal on a new stainless for $200 which in his words is "the prop that I need to fix the rpm problem". So I buy it but he would not give me a receipt because it was "such a good deal that it was all under the table". He then puts my check in his pocket, not the register. Prop came without a box or anything which makes me think that it was the prop that came with the motor in the first place. Oh well, I'm planning on having the trailer brakes fixed at Anglers Port in Warsaw and will have them check the trim also. Sorry for the long post, had to vent a little. Chris

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks buddy. I will remember that report on them. The good ones will survive.

8. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Get a new dealer.
    Also you can contact the manufacturer of the boat brand you purchased. They need the feedback on their dealers and will put you in contact with a factory loyal dealer.
    My boat brand has such a dealer that will help all comers with any problem and they even go out of the way for out of towners.
    My local dealer didnt have time to talk to me on the phone on a saturday before I drove half hour across town and told me to call back later. So i contacted the dealer from out of town and he mailed me what i needed for $5 postage and got it in two days.:cool2: