Really beginner question....

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gibbzilla, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I know this sounds weird, but I just can't tell when the cat has bit the bait on carolina rig or drop-shot rig. I don't wanna have to use a bobber, and I prefer not use circle hooks. When I think I've gone a while without a bite I'll lift up my pole and all my nightcrawler will be gone of somethin, even late at night when the bream are in shallow. So, how can you tell when a catfish is bitin your hook? :tounge_out:

2. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    If they are biting really lightly, you just need to pay special attention to the rod tip, or hold the line between your fingers and wait for the bite. Also, they might be small channels eating your nightcrawlers, that's part of the reason why i now use either live or cut bait. To find out if they are smaller cats try using a size hook around #6, if they are smaller cats, this smaller hook will catch them. Good luck!

3. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    I agree with josh, try smaller hooks when the bite is light and use larger baits, if it still wont work then I typically move to another hole and use slightly larger bait.

4. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Hi Zilla:

One thing we use over here in that situation is a QUIVER TIP ROD. They're a godsend on fast moving rivers as well. Using a feeder cage with them (I think you Americans call it pack-bait) comes highly recommended. The slightest touch on your hook will register as the tip is designed for sensitivity.

Hope this helps some.

Tight Lines & Good Luck.

Attached Files:

5. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I'll attach a hook to a bobber and hang that on my line between two eyes on the rod, leaving enough slack so that the bobber is about 8" below the rod. After the line settles. if I see the bobber moving up or down, I know there's something on the end of the line.

-- Rich

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Gibbzilla

Its my opinion n it works for me to "TIGHTLINE"!!!!!!!!!

I get approx 80% of my decent Flatheads on what I call the "Lite-Bite". I've even had they just put the bait in their mouth n just sit there fer 45 min. not moving.

Also Glo Sticks on the tip of the rods helps BIG TIME when Tightlining!!!

Hope it helps u I KNOW it does me.

:confident:

7. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    my guess is something else is stealing your crawlers. cats seems to inhale them. to detect light bites i attach a small bell to the tip of my rod with a saftey pin. it jingles everytime something tugs or tocuhes the bait. good luck:cool2:

8. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    tight line I do agree with. also, try to let your bait settle then tightn up on the carolina sinker, then free line and tighten up your line release brakes, that way if your not on top of your rods you wont loose any equipment

9. ShipwreckDiver

ShipwreckDiver New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I use two poles to bank fish with two different small bells. Each bell has it's own ring to it, one is a tiny "ting" and the other one is more deeper "ring". As far as the nightcrawlers go, that's all I used for two years, but I became tired of catching bullhead that swallow the hook 9 of 10 times, so I switched to large sucker minnows, hooking them just behind the dorsal fin. From my experience, because I used to lose fish all the time by setting the hook too early, you need to let the fish run with the bait. Sometimes they'll ding around with my minnow for 10 minutes or more before they finally take it on the run and nearly pull my pole into the water (I lost two poles last year). My guess would be that you have bullhead robbing your hook of your nightcrawlers, but I'm not sure where you're fishing, what kind of fish are in there, and what time of day or night you're fishing. What I CAN tell you is that you'll KNOW when a cat takes your hook. If you get a nibble or two, give your pole a reel or two and let it sit again for a few. What time are you fishing? Good luck, hope this helps.

10. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Thanks for the tips! I fish usually from about 5:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Also, I got a question about the carolina rig. What kinda hook and what size should I use if I'm fishin' for channels? Also, what size of the slidin' sinnker should I use on the line, and could someone give me a diagram that's easy to understand that's of the carolina rig?

11. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Gibbzilla,When a good cat bites your line you WILL know it!!! you just spend some more time on the river bank or lake,Try to just fish with one poll and hold it you will fill the bite when tip go's down set the hook,You keep on fishing and you WILL get the hang of it .this is the right place to ask ..Good luck to ya sir............

12. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
  13. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The sinker size is determined by the reel/rod/bait yer using. I tightline fish, an a light bite, means they aren't running with it. If ya get a strike, an the line slackens even a lil, set the hook....cause it just got picked up.