Really bad day

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bigfish, Mar 12, 2006.

1. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i think ive mentioned before my dad is a mechanic so ive rebuilt car, motorcycle, and lawnmower motors my hole life. so when my buddies 15hp evinrude blew on us last year cause the water pump went out. i told him i could rebuild it. now some things are a little different, thats why i from time to time seek bubbakat and bobpauls advice. but i have had some realy bad luck with this motor. first time it had to be bored, so the guy got the block bored fine, but when refacing he grinded it lopsided. so when i got it all back together it ran fine, untill the piston got beat down to the ring. so we got another block, new standard pistons and rings and i put it back together again. did the 10 hr breakin and everything like supposed to. everthing seemed great. well we took her out today, about 1 mile down the river it made an awefull racket. so after getting it home found it wasnt in the work i did but the lower unit for some reason locked up. i took it off and it wont turn a lick. the real bad thing is i think when it lock it broke a rod in the top half. is this just bad luck or could i have done something to the top half to cause the bottom half to freeze up.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I can't think of a thing you could have done to the power head that would make a lower unit lock up.
    Well maybe put to much grease on top of the drive shaft and preloaded the drive shaft.

Forest-Gump said it best. ---t Happens:)

Like I have always said the only way to avoid outboard problems is not to own one.;)

3. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thanks for that news bubbakat. i kinda knew it was just some realy bad luck. i just dabbed a little grease on the drive shaft with my finger. i filled the lower unit with gear lube just like the book said and everything. i filled it till it came out the air vent. then i let a little drain out and plugged it. now all i can hope is that theres not any block damage. but i think ducain is going to get a new motor and part this one out. so if any one hears of any one looking for some 15hp evinrude parts, just have them pm me.

4. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Darn the luck... i have had about the same luck before with a boat motor, i gave it away to a friend, or he used to be my firend... sometimes it just pays to stay in bed..

5. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    hey cattracker 16 i know what you mean about staying in bed. i wasnt ever going to tell this story but i have to cause now its kinda funny. this day was supposed to be me and ducains first fishing trip of the year. so we werent going to let this stop us. so we load the boat back up and hurry back to the house to get my motor to put on his boat. so we get back to the water, launch the boat, i pull the rope and it pulls like a weed eater. i pause for a minute look at ducain and say [we dont have any spark plugs in this motor]

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well atleast it wasn't the plug for the bottom of the boat.:)

7. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thanks bubbakat as you know that was last month when i took my boat out to check it for leaks. sometimes i think we our on our first ever boat trip. but believe it or not this is our second year.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well you haven't drowned yet:) so I would say you are progressing along quiet nicely.:)

9. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    hey bubbakat that definately is a plus. by the way i been meaning to tell you, that i saw you post about the national gathering, talking about fishing from the bank. i am sure you will have plenty of offers, but if you dont ducain and i plan on attending. you would be more than welcome to join us on my boat.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that for a day or night. I plan on being there if the wife is not to sick. She has been having some real problems but we are straighten them out one by one.
    I like attending these things for the good bs,ing that takes place and meeting new people.
    My grandmother bless her heart said I never met a stranger. She may have been right, I've only meet people whose names I didn't know.:)

11. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Bubbakat with the luck them fellas have ya sure ya wanna go out with them... LOL j/k Wish i could make it but i have plans to attend the midwest muddy one here in iowa. and bubba you'd have a ride with me if you needed it.. kenny

12. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    hey cattracker16 i hear what your sayin. last year was our first year off the bank and in a boat. the start of a season seems like its going to start out rocky. it will smoth out [at least it did last year] but you sure are right after reading my last few posts i wouldnt even get in a boat with me:) .

13. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    Bigfish.... I thought that was why you were inviting bubbakat. Thought you were looking for an onboard mechanic! LOL Best of luck to you with the upcoming season. As long as the boat is above water, you must be doing something right!

14. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    hey snobal all the motor problems been with my buddies motor. God willing mine is fine. but if he was willing to move to wv, i do have a extra room;).

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Guys I am afraid I know just enough about outboards to get my hinney in trouble. :grin-big: But am always willing to share what I do know.:what-big:

16. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i hear ya, but like i said in another post i know you and bobpaul have probably forgotten more than ill ever know. but thanks for the moddesty.