Real-Time Data

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Rat, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Anyone use the Real-Time Data available on the internet to find the current flow of your favorite rivers/streams? I use them on a couple that are far enough away I don't know what condition they are currently in. (Real high or real low) Anyway, I heard on the radio the other day that several of the stations are gonna be lost due to lack of funding. Said they needed $20,000 to keep them going and hoped the local counties would step in and fill the gap.
    Rat

2. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois

3. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Flyingpig, look's like we caught a temporary break. The website is reporting that "the State of Illinois has provided funding for a brief reprieve that will keep all 10 of these streamgages running until 9/30/06 (the end of FY06). Funding for these streamgages in FY07 is uncertain at this time."
    Better than a sharp stick in the eye, I reckon.
    Rat

4. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use them all the time for the Ill and Miss. rivers . I would hate to loose them!

5. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    I use this one almost every day for my local Great Miami River in southwest Ohio. It updates every 15 minutes. There was a time in late December that it wasn't reporting, and I e-mailed the website. They said they were working on it, and even mailed me back when they got it reporting again. Nice folks. The home page on here will get you to any ohio stream gage I believe. There's even one for the Mill Creek on the back of our subdivision. That 15 minute update is real handy of the rain is super heavy, you can see if your're going to have flooding problems.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/oh/nwis/uv?03274000