Real thoughts (and experiences) regarding the Zebco 808?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by 52BeltDrive, May 18, 2017.

1. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I think Chad is exactly right on this question. The spinning style reels are easier to work with and you can use them on occasion for pan fish fishing. The Zebco reels will work but would not be my choice. Too bad they don't cotton to the 5500. They are a great reel and easy to maintain.

As far as what you would gain with an 808. In my opinion, nothing.

tight lines

BradPenn and Fishfeen like this.
  2. Kzoo catman

Kzoo catman Member

State:
    michigan
    old zebco 1980ish 808s with the metal reel feet are alright for the occasional weekend fisherman, but the newer zebco reels are cheap junk..jmo.the cast button hinges break, reel foot break,cheap cast metal gears strip.zebco has been a let down for years.at least for me,my daughter and father.

surfcat likes this.

3. Chop1

Chop1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Chad
    The ones my dad used to have he landed all those big fish on were the old style. I havnt even looked at the newer ones

surfcat likes this.
  4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Not much luck wit the 808s but I'm a big fan of my wife's older Pro Staff 888s

5. Kris C

Kris C New Member

Name:
    Kris
    I recently purchased a new 808 for my wife. I personally do not like it. I bought myself an Okuma Avenger 55 and it is 3 thousand times smoother than the 808. So far the 808 has worked and hasn't given her any trouble.

I have an older 733 and it doesn't like to cast every time.

I personally feel the Zebco stuff is for beginners with little $$...

My wife has a 33 that she has used for around 7 years and it still works great.

I gave about $20 more the for the Avenger than I did the 808.

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Member

State:
    Texas
    Personally I think that the 808 or even the Zebco 733/33max are the best entry level reels out there for novices that don't have any experience casting either spinning or casting reels. Spending a day untangling backlashes has ruined the interest of many a beginning catfisherman. Actually for eating sized catfish running up to several pounds a 33 works fine. I carry though I seldom use them myself for catfish. The 808 will haul in nearly anything that you are likely to put a hook in in fresh water. Let's all face it, those 30 lb plus cats are not the normal thing that a novice will be catching. They require a lot of patience and if you are taking them fishing in hopes of kindling an interest then you want action.