REAL LOW WATERS IN COLORADO RIVER

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by tofish, Dec 6, 2009.

1. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    this is the worst i've seen it in yrs down by imperial dam area. friday, i discovered why it's so low. i went to havasu city to visit sister who was driving through there. decided to go up ca side and see how river looked around blythe. from the pala verde dam up and including lake havasu, the river and lake is as full it looks as it was almost 20 yrs ago. they are holding the water there and not letting come down. anyone know why?
    i'm hitting water just about lake martinez that is only 1 1/2 below my boat now. to me, this is sad.
    gary

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey Gary,
    Thanks for the recon!!
    You might get ahold of Jagdoctor,,He may have some info...
    But, I think they run the river low in the winter due to farmers needs, or lack thereof, etc.. but, just guessing.

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    greg, every yr it slows down, but this is worse i've seen since i've lived here. section below parker dam goes much higher and it'll be lapping at the docks along the river edge. they are up as high as they can go now.
    i'm just disgusted cause now i can't get up to a couple of spots i really like to go to for winter fishing.
    oh well, too cold right now for me anyhow.
    gary

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Gary. I still have in mind to come down and do some camp/fishing... weather is my concern now... got the RV all squared up.

As far as the water..... our beloved gov.... Swartzeneger... signed some new legislation regarding all water within the state.... lakes, rivers and all.

Anyway... here is a new link that I just found regarding water releases.. check it out... many new ways of looking are the water all along the system. It even mentions the "outflow water" out of Palo Verde.

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g4000/riverdata/gage-map2-text.cfm

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
  6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    ray, thanks for for the water flow site. i bookmarked it. weather down here is cold. got up this morning and looked outside at 0645. was 40 on back porch.
    gary

7. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Gary, it would be sadder if there wasn't any water up north. They typically hold it as long as they can to see what the snow pack situation is before they let any of it go and we are just now going to start the winter storms. They will probably let some go right after the first one hits because they can't hold any more right now.

:cool2: