Real catfish reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by theonecatfishbob, Feb 25, 2007.

1. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I went to bass pro couple of days ago to get some line. I was looking at some reels and noticed reps from daiwa, quantum, and ambassadeur. I sruck up a conversation and then asked when tackle manufacturers were going to wake up and realize we catfisherman buy rods and reels and we would like to have some designed for what we do. I told them they can build a reel to stand up in the ocean but not the river. We need a line of reels especially designed for river use. I am tired of trying this and that at 100 dollars a pop just to see if it will hold up. I know a lot of you will post you have to take care of them. clean and oil and such. I do. But I fish a lot. At least once a week year round. weather permitting. And not bragging I catch some pretty nice fish. They said they would report what I said to the bosses and I went away. I think the company that finally wakes up will make a lot of money. What do you all think? OOPS. I guess I put this in the wrong category. Sorry guys.

2. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I agree, some people at the bass pro here in springfield will just point you to the salt water section if you ask for a good rod or reel for cattin, but what they dont realize is that most of them arnt made for what we need (this exludes the Ugly stick series), but i do think that they should work on makeing some good reels for river fishing cats,

Good post, I agree 100%
    Marshall

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    What would make a catfish reel a real catfish reel. Some type of catfish logo? I don't know of one reel made for one specific family of fish and will not or can not be used to catch other fish. Think it boils down to they are called "fishing reels".

4. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    If that rod/reel will bring in a marlin, its going to land cats with ease. If you can land a bull shark, tiger shark or a large grouper, its going to be more than enough to land cats. If it will stand up to salt water conditions, a river is going to do minimal damage to that combo.

5. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i think he means a reel for catfishing needs, at a price not close to saltwater needs. most saltwater reels are pricey. not everyone has the budget to go out and buy a tuna rod and a huge baitcaster that will hold enough line to go across the united states, i know i dont, being in high school and have more prioitys with money before fishing(I kno, it hurts to say it) but i also see the way the other guys posted about. theres hardly any reels on the market that are for one specific species. there are some that are called crappie pro and whatnot. but how many people use them for other applications? probably quite a few. maybe someday there will be a manufacturer that makes a line of reels strictly for catfishing, but until the day comes, theres plenty of alternatives in my opinion. a catfish logo would look cool on a reel you just reeled in a flathead with IMO.:roll_eyes:

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I think its funny how most of us that are using Abus 6500's or 7000's when you look them up they are said to be for stripers or muskies LOL. What I would like to see is a 6500 or 7000 that is sold specificly for cats maybe a good drag system with a power handle. I think that the 6500 TCCF is like that but its still a little pricey for me.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If these reel company's come out with a catfish reel, it is going to be priced up there with the salt water, abu's and penns. They are gonna make money, no matter the outcome.

8. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    it does not matter if it is matter if a real is said to be for a certian type of fish. because if it is design the way you want it for catfish then use it for catfish. and if you want a qaulity reel that will hold up you will have to pay for the qaulity. my personal preference are penns because they are not to pricey for the qaulity.

9. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I appreciate the replys to my post. I really dont care if it has a sticker on it saying catfish reel. If you price salt water reels they seem to start around 300 dollars. While I agree you must pay for quality, I would think you could come up with quality for less than that. I have worked my way up through the ambassadeurs to 7000c3 and 7000bghs. The c3s are just 2 years old. they sound like they are 10 years old. Yes I clean and oil them. I dont have deep pockets and bet if the truth were known we dont need deep pockets for a quality fishing reel. Of course if all you do is talk about fishing on the internet they will last a long time. I use mine.

10. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    penn levelwinds arent up there are they? i think ive seen them for around 60+/- in cabelas if im not mistaken. a friend of mine has one that he uses for cats mounted on a heavy action stand up rod. kindda over kill for what he catches but its his choice not mine. seems to work fine for him.

11. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I went to bass pro and looked at the penn reels. I checked out a 220gti and a 230. the 220 out of the box I could feel the bearings turning when I turned the handle. My beleif is 100 dollars aint so easy to come by that I will throw it away on junk. I am sure there are people that dont feel that is much money. Good for them. I have to be what I am.

12. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    this is an interesting thread ,i have often wondered the same thing.the catfisherman/woman is the kind of person who when we open our wallet we worked hard for that money and we want a quality ,speicies specific product.Hey im not afraid to spend a hundred bucks here and there but i certainly dont have money to burn and unfortunatly i have done that a couple times already.-so far so good on my abu's i love em.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think any heavy duty reel will work for catfishing.

14. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i think that we as catfisherman need to get the ball rolling on making catfishing a bigger sport. then the rod n reel manufacturers will see the market and cater to us. most tackle in the average walmart is for bass fishing because thats what sells the most. Its supply n demand pure n simple. Love em or hate em, the bass fishermen really helped their sport by creating local bass clubs and drawing in members that take an active roll in not only getting together to fish, but finding ways to introduce the public to their sport.

15. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I kinda figured when my reel has a catfish on it, it's a catfish reel. The next day when it's got a stiper on it, it's a striper reel that day. When it's got a spoonbill on it, then it's a spoonbill reel. I shoot more than just birds with my 12 ga. It works great for rabbit and deer also along with riding in the back of my car when I'm on duty. I wouldn't want to have to have a reel for each different fish, it's just more fun to use it as an excuse to the wife to get a new one, hehe!

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Hey bob i fish alot all year round too and dont seem to have a problem wearing out my stuff maybe you need to start acquiring rods and reels when you can and start rotating witch ones you use, that should lengthen their life.

17. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Thank you all. Never mind. I will put a little more thought into my next post. I have learned my lesson.

18. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    one of the best cat reels I have found for big fish is the diawa 50 hd. I have 3 of them. I have had them for about 4 or 5 years. use them in saltwater & fresh. I have caught fish to 250 lbs in sa
    lt then go catin. they are a little bigger then a 10000 ambasseder. never failed me yet. they have one of the best drags on the market.

catman-fl

19. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Let me try it this way. My idea of the perfect reel for the Missouri River would be one that would hold a minimum of 150 yards of 40 lb mono. It would have a minimum of 4 antirust bearings. It would be a levelwind. I would have a strong drag system. A power handle. The gear ratio would be no higher than 4.2:1. And I would hope to find it at a price less than 150$. Anyone out there know of such a reel. I have scoured catalogs and reel shelves for hours. I havent found it.

20. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    Abu Garcia does have a good catfish reel the Abu Garcia Black Cat. The only problem with this reel is the gear ratio is 5:3. But it SUPER Smooth. Also the Penn 320GT is a Super Catfish Reel. It Holds 160 Yards of 40. Also it has 2 bearing. Throw Pretty Good. In my opionion this reel will catch any thing that swims. Also try the 9000 and 10000 Series. I had a 9000 and that thing is just to big for anything around where I live.