ready to try "new" boat

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, Jul 30, 2008.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    A couple of months ago, my brother - in - law approached me about a small boat his brother wanted to sell for $200 to get out of his yard. It belonged to a family member who had died and had set for 2 years. I didn't expect much, maybe an old runabout or john boat. When I got there I found a late 80's 15 1/2 foot fiberglass Sylvan bass boat with a 50hp Evinrude on a drive on trailor. The boat was filthy, but had a solid floor and transom and no cracks or gouges in the hull. The motor had good compression and the trailor was decent. I bought the boat and went to work.

Hours of cleaning and waxing brought the paint out to a nice shine. The carpet was removed and roll on bed liner applied. I replaced the seats, put a trolling motor on the front and a bunch of rod holders. I got the navigation lights, bilge pump, and live well pumps working. I capped the bow with polished aluminum checker plate to hide the extra holes where several trolling motors had been mounted.

To the trailor I added bearing buddies, new tires, new lights, new safety chains and wiring.

The motor wasn't much problem, cleaned the carbs and fixed a small ignition problem. It starts, idles, shifts into all gears and revs smoothly while hooked to a water hose. The choke solenoid doesn't seem to work and I haven't ordered one yet. I painted the cowling and added new decals.

A lot of work, but I only have $700 in the complete rig, plus several hours of work. I plan to go to Columbia within the next few days to walk the paperwork through. Can't wait to get cat slime all over her!:smile2:

By the way, I've got a Humminbird Wide 128 to put on it, but am missing the mounting base. If anyone has a base that they would part with, let me know!

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds great Steve I know you are ready to get it out on the water.

3. Louisiana Redneck

Louisiana Redneck New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sounds like a great deal. If possible post some pics. Would love to see what you did.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like you have almost completed a really nice project, good luck with the boat.

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Good deal Steve.:big_smile: Like they said. I know ya can't wait to go fishing and post us some pics.:big_smile:

Steve if I can offer 2 suggestions, You might want to go ahead and put a new water pump in it as an added peace of mine. Theres no telling how old the one in it is. You might want to change the lube in the foot also:wink:.

Just trying to help:wink:
    Pop Pop

6. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I'm jealous!:smile2: I can't wait to get back on the water.

I agree with Pop Pop, A couple dollars now is better than alot later.

7. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats on the boat. Hope it runs well for you.

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I'm jealous:smile2:

Good luck finishing up the boat.

you might try e-bay for the mounting bracket.

9. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    The water pump had just been replaced when the old guy died, and seems to pump very good. I am going to replace the foot lube before I venture out. I checked it and it looked good and clean with no water present, probably was changed when the water pump was.

The Academy in Spartanburg has a good deal on rod holders. They look just like Driftmasters, 3/8", dipped and everything for $6.99 each, including bases. I didn't use the bases that comes with them, my boat had some homemade bases already on it, but they were only 1/4" thick. I replaced them with 3/8" thick machinable grade aluminum and drilled them to match the original mounting holes. At the present I have 14 bases on the boat, and 6 rod holders. 6 rods is about all I can drift with. I put extra bases all around the boat for when I anchor up, which seems to be rare these days. I will pick up a few more rod holders as the pocketbook allows.

Once again, I am in desperate need of a mounting base for a Humminbird Wide 128. I found a new looking display at a yard sale for $20. The boat already had a Humminbird transducer and power cable on it. I powered it up and ran the self test on it. It passed the test and detected the transducer, so I think everything is good to go as soon as I locate the base. Port-tronics in Greenville can get it for me, but it costs $40, twice what I paid for the unit.:eek:oooh:

I don't have a digital camera, other than the camera phone. I will see if it will take a good picture of the boat this weekend. If so I will try to post a pic next week.

Ya'll have a great weekend and may God bless all!

Steve

10. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Sounds like you got a Great Deal on a good boat. I know you will get some good fishing from it.

11. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sounds like a good deal and nice boat.... Have fun & be safe brother....

12. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    Steve,
    I

13. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    Steve,
    Let try this again I fat fingered the wrong key.:eek:oooh: I have a base and the transducer mounts to a trolling motor. If you have another transducer or a different mount you will be in business. Call me.

14. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks Scott,
    I'll call this afternoon. I need the base for the electroncs or head, I have a transducer mounted on the boat and a power cable. All I need is the base mount.

How's the new job going? They just offered us a buy-out package here. I would get full pay and insurances for 40 weeks if I accepted. To young to retire and to old to start over. Shucks.

See you soon,
    Steve