Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, not exactly ready but gonna go anyway. My plan was to get some sleep and get up at 4am today, but never slept a wink. So, I gave up at 3 and got up (gonna go with NO sleep). lol... Haven't been since the flood, so not sure what I'm gonna be getting into out there this morning. Hopefully, I can come back with some good results. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The river was muddy and the current was pretty bad. It was imposible to anchor down (unless you snagg a tree or something large on the bottom). Then you'll have a heck of a time getting your anchor back. I'm used to strong currents and muddy water in the Ky River and have done some of my best fishing in those types of conditions. What I do is find trees that have limbs hanging out from the banks and tie off to them instead of anchoring (or anything else I can tie off to). I cast one of my baits strait off the back and the other out towards the middle. The current will usually bring the one off the side of the boat to the back as well, but I will give it a lot more line off while it's being pulled down river. Obviously, it gives the baits more distance from eachother and helps prevent them from crossing one another. Yesterday was my 3rd trip to the Ohio and I've learned already that in the part of the river I've been fishing (Carrollton), it doesn't matter if the river is up or down, it's always swift in that area. So far, I've caught a total of 8 fish in my 3 trips down there. My biggest was the 38lb Blue on my first trip and the rest have all averaged between 10-15lb. I'm having loads of fun on that river and I'm sure I'll do even better the more I learn about the place. I did get a suprise yesterday while fishing. I had a bluegill on for bait and was bringing it in to check because it had been sitting for a while with no bites. As I was reeling it in, something grabbed it about 15ft from the boat and gave it a quick jerk. I stopped and waited to see if it would hit again, but nothing. I finished reeling it in and only had a head left on the hook. Whatever hit it had some massive teeth and really did a number on that bluegill. lol... I've caught plenty of Gar before and had one on yesterday later in the day, but this seemed different. Usually, when a Gar hits, it will smash the bait and leave a narrow imprint on the side of the bait where it bit. This poor bluegill was cut off at the head as if it was cut by a pair of jagged sissures. Maybe it was an Alligator Gar? Whatever it was, it had some sharp teeth!!!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Sounds like a musky or pike to me. I had the same thing happen to me on the wabash last year. I was using a yellow bullhead for bait I had it hooked in the lip. I dropped it over the stern of the boat and suspended it to watch it and see how it swim in the current and seen a flash and the water churned right behind the boat. When I lifted my bait back out of water there was nothing but the head left. I was kinda pissed because it was the only bullhead I had for bait. First thing I thought was a gar. But It hit just like a huge musky.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't know there were Pike in the Ohio. Too bad I didn't get a chance to hook whatever it was. I've never caught a Pike or a Musky and it could have been a first for me!! The last post brought up a question I've had (Bullheads for bait). Is it legal to use Bullheads for bait? I caught 2 Bullheads over the weekend and used them, but was nervous about it because I didn't know if I was doing something illegal or not. I'm thinking that it's legal to use "Rough Fish" such as Bullheads, Carp, Suckers, Drum and so on, but not 100 percent sure on it. Any opinions?

·
Registered
640 Posts
that would be the pesky gar that rips your bait apart. Sometimes if you really have problems with them you can put a stinger hook at the back of the bait and catch them. Most of the time the gar will take the bait and run pulling your rod down but then let go once you try and set the hook. They can be a real pain in the keister and if they get to be bad just move somewhere that they arent.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Bill is probably right a big ole gar ! Now that being said...there are plenty of muskie in the Licking from Cave Run,Ky river has them and so does the Green river it is possible that you had one take a swipe at your bait ...Maybe you will stick that ole fish next time !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.