Ready to hang my bow up for good

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    After 18 years of bow hunting and over 40 big game animals taken there is still nothing that I love to do more or anything that gives me the thrill of heading to the woods to chase whitetails. Fall is the time of year that I come alive and I spend most of the rest of the year thinking about and getting ready for the fall hunt.
    Then why would I give it all up, you ask? Simple, NO PLACE TO HUNT! But there are deer everywhere you say, that is what I hear all the time. There are too many deer according to almost anyone you ask. Then why is it that I can respectfully approach 16 landowners in one year, well before season with hat in hand and be turned down every single time? The old standards, Someone shot one of my cows once (with a bow? Come on), my nephew “might” want to hunt, out of state hunters will pay me thousands of dollars. Had one guy tell me he did not think he wanted to let anyone on his land to slaughter all his wildlife…hum and here I thought I was asking to selectively harvest a renewable resource.
    I had a friend that I met online give me permission to hunt last year (thank you very much once again Casey) but his place is a long drive and his brother was going to hunt the only place that was really decent to bow hunt this year. So I decided to hunt public hunting ground this year. I figured that if I spent the time and took the effort to get way back in and off the beaten path that I could find some decent hunting. So far I have been out 5 times and have not seen one single deer. I have gone as far as to kayak into a spot that is land locked and can only be accessed by water and still have pulled a big fat zero.
    The first year I was serious about bow hunting I had permission from 3 land owners and free run of almost 8,000 acres with only a couple of other guys on the same property. Today unless someone in your family owns a big track of land or you have thousands of dollars to spend you are pretty much out of luck.
    I have offered to help with chores, build fence, work cows or even handy man around the house and still no luck. I have done my home work and hunted up landowners addresses and sent letters of introduction then followed up with in person visits….sorry no luck.
    The thing that makes me really sad is that this is my daughters first year to hunt and my son is going to be ready in a year or two and we have no place to go. Money is very tight right now and after buying tags I hardly have the money for gas much less lease a place or pay to hunt on some club. I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that this year is going to be a complete loss and the money spent on tags should have gone to buy groceries.
    Bottom line is that unless I can find some private ground for next season, this will be my last year. When deer hunting became big business the small guy got screwed!

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    thanx,i've not even bought a liscence this,first year in twenty five years,for the exact reasons you've stated.i stated this on another thread,but i see this country going the same route as england,only the very rich will be able to hunt.and i know land owners own the land,but i did'nt realize they owned the game as well.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Have you checked into what WIHA land is available in your area. We hunted Kansas a couple of years ago and managed some nice deer on the walk in hunting areas (WIHA). There is a picture of them in my profile. I would hunt Kansas every year if I had access to some good hunting land. It's getting bad everywhere, most people that own enough land to hunt either already have someone hunting it, hunt it themselves, lease it for hunting or are anti hunting and will not let anyone hunt it. If someone has access to some hunting land then they need to be thankful and take care of the privalidge. I have some local areas here around the house in Arkansas that I have permission to hunt. At least around here there is a lot of National Forest land also to hunt. Just don't throw in the towel, you owe it to your kids to get them involved in the outdoors .

4. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Unfortunately Pennsylvania has its share of this type of thing too. Personally I gave up hunting all together about 15 years ago. Also the economy doesn't help much with paying more at the gas pumps to make a long trip. Sincerely feel for you and wish you luck in finding a solution to your dilema.

Ray

5. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Don't give up Tree Rat. Just keep asking and asking more folks. Here in northern Indiana there are a lot of "no-ways" more than 20:1 but asking the right person at the right time may be a "yes". Good luck. Trouble for me is loosing sites to development as fast as I get permission for new ones. I keep looking to try to keep ahead of it. The problem is a lot of people won't ask and trasspass (or otherwise act disrespectful) thereby giving all hunters a bad image. Many tell me, "Sorry, I used to let people hunt until..."

6. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    In the mid nineties, a friend of mine and I decided to hunt north eastern Arkansas for turkeys. My wife has an uncle that lives near Evening Shade and he got us permission to hunt 200 acres. It was good hunting, but we ran into other hunters every day even though we were supposed to be the only ones on it. We spent all week looking for more property to hunt. What you're saying is what we ran into each time. Everybody was nice about it and polite, but we finally gave up. It's pretty much like that around here now. I'm down to just 2 private properties now and one of the owners hinted at leasing his 2 years ago. I've hunted that ground since I was a kid. If it comes to that, I'll hang my bow up, too. It's just not worth it to me.

7. afishpatrol

afishpatrol New Member

State:
    indiana
    i'v had the same issues here in central indiana, had several private tracts of land to hunt till they were sold and houses built on them. i gave up the hunt for accessable land over ten yrs ago, now its all about the year round hunt for fish. if i can get my boat there, your not going to tell me not to fish...lol...winter time ice fishing is when i stock the freezer and the rest of the year is all about taking pics of the fish.
    next time you go asking, make shure you take your daughter, dressed in camo, with a sad look on her face. your bound to find a taker, how could someone turn that down.

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    well if you come to iowa anytime bro let me know I got some land we can hunt

9. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I agree with all the responses! I got tired of always trying to find a place, or always helping out with the right to hunt - because it's never enough, or where do you draw the line? Helping 1 or 2x, 3 - 4x, it seems to be never enough!

I finally purchased a small piece of property from my cousins, and it is a great spot. But think about this, it is my cousins, I had to buy property from them in order to hunt. Granted, the ask for help in return, but I got tired of the assistance, on their schedule, etc.... so, I grabbed the opportunity to purchase. AND, when I purchased this, they wanted to still control my actions regarding the property. In other words, you buy the property, and we'll chip in and build a community cabin on it. WHAT? To say the least, I had to endure a lot of BS the first 3 - 4 years after purchasing until they finally gave up on giving me "chit". By the way, they own close to 1600 acres. I cannot make them allow me to hunt, but when you're only allowed to hunt the mediocre spots, over time that gets old.

Anyway, it is getting to be ridiculous - seriously! It is truly taking the fun out of hunting for me. In fact, I can't even stand watching hunting videos where the Teams (Primos, etc...) pay outfitters to hunt. It is a means for a living now, so it won't stop now, and it will only get worse - unfortunately.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I can't believe this!! Alan, you've asked 16 landowners permission to hunt their land and got turned down, especially a bowhunter!! This is BS!!

Understanding, farmers have the right to turn down anybody to hunt their land. Keeping hunters, from injuring or possibly killing their livestock or causing damage to thier land. Just can't believe, YOU, a bowhunter got turned down this many times, and you are a full grown adult!!

Where you live in Kansas, the opportunities should be endless to hunt deer!! Near KC., Im guessing there's plenty of public and private hunting!!

Where I live in Nebraska, getting permission, is getting harder. But because I carry the bow, I believe I have the upper hand getting permission, for the simple fact, my arrows don't ricochet for miles!

Don't give this heritage and privilage up Alan!! There's always next year!! I would go next spring or summer and start asking. Right now the farmers are busy in the fields, and probably don't need the pressure of giving permission to someone they don't know to hunt their land.

KANSAS, one of the top whitetail destinations in the US!! I'm sure there's a place for you Alan!! Just keep the head up and try again. Don't ever get a bad rap for being a BAD HUNTER. Get my drift? Stay smart.

Good luck to you, just because you're a hunter, don't quit this easily!!

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Oh Yes!! I wanted to add this. I sure in the location of Kansas you live, there is alot of leased property. This is getting to be secondary money for the landowner or farmer too. Matter of fact, I feel disgusted with this sometimes. They take money from the "so called hunter" and let them hunt the property. Some of these individuals have the big bucks and will pay thousands to hunt deer and the such. They go out and pay a couple thousand bucks for a weapon and call themselves hunters. They're downright "A$$ Clowns" and they make me puke to boot. Hell, have of them probably couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

If I was the landowner, I would listen to their credentials, and watch them practice the weapon, before I would even let them venture into the woods!!

Once again, don't feel bad, just keep trying!! From what I've read, you're a real hunter Alan!!

12. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    And to think everybody is worried about peta and anti-hunting campaigns when the ones we need to worry about are greedy land owners that realize from watching "hunting shows" they can charge big money for some plot of land because deer hunting is big business now. The people that aggravate me the most are the ones that don't like hunting or are anti-hunting and won't let anyone hunt their land, which is their business and is fine, but are the first ones to complain about the deer eating their gardens or flowers and want a damn kill permit to stop them. The sad thing is they usually get it, at least where I live. Absolutely stupid.

13. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I don't know whether I feel better or worse for reading this.:confused2: I've got the same problem. NO ONE wants to let you hunt on their property nowadays. I can't find just ONE local place to hunt, well, one where there isn't 10 other people there too, crowded on 50 acres or something similar. Sorry, I'm not taking my kids with me when I don't know who else is going to show up or be shooting.

The family has a pretty big farm down east, but it's a 100 mile drive to get there. Most of the time, I've only got small parts of the day that I can hunt: a few hours in the morning, or I get done with work early and get a few hours in the afternoon. I love to hunt, but it's kind of pointless to drive three hours round trip to hunt for an hour or two. :tounge_out:

My cousin's uncle (Hey I'm in KY :smile2:) lets us hunt on his small farm and we've taken several deer off of it. I'd been going out there for 12 years or so. He just runs a few cattle from time to time, maybe a little hay. Nothing major. I kept an open offer to help him do stuff around there, in thanks for the hunting. Some fence work, stacking square bails, you know, whatever he needed. I even went and bought ladder stands one year and put them up in different areas, with the agreement that I'd pay for them and leave them there, for me, him, and his brother and his nephew (my cousin) to use. I put in licks and small food plots too. Now he's at odds with his brother and won't let anyone hunt this year. It's got nothing to do with me or his nephew, but we're still screwed just the same.:angry:

I haven't bought a license or tags this year. I'm probably not even going to bother with going. :sad2:

14. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Texas probably has much less public land to hunt deer on compaired to other states. Private land is where nearly all the deer hunting takes place. The result is higher prices with more restrictions. The reasons include the splitting up of larger ranches by realitives after the death of parents or grandparents, wanabe ranchers with enough money to buy small parclels at exorbent prices, poor ecomony, and greed. It has come down to the fact that if you want to hunt, you have to pay the big bucks and hope you get a lease that isn't shot out. The papers are full of adds about big bucks and easy hunts and most of them have lots of strings attached in the form of additional fees if you happen to get a large deer. The sad thing is there is no stopping it. It will only get worse. Catfishjon

15. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Thanks to every one for the advice and the shoulders for me to cry on. It sounds like there are a lot of you that are in the same boat, though that part does not make me feel any better.
    I would like to say that I do really understand the land owners point of view after all they have had to put up with slobs and trespassers for years, plus they are trying to make a living so please don’t get me wrong this was not meant in any way to slam what someone does with their own land it was more directed at the way things have changed over the years.
    I guess for me this was a way to let off some steam and I have not thrown in the towel quite yet. Bow hunting is too much of who I am to not pass it on to my kids. Personally I have shot enough deer that I could hang it up but I want my kids to have the chance to experience some of the things that I have over the years even if it is getting harder to do. Things like a bobcat drifting through the woods like a puff of smoke, a pair of fawns chasing each other and running in circles just to run or the feeling that your heart is going to pound its way out of your chest when you see a nice buck heading your way.
    Thanks for the encouragement and I plan on taking Mallory and Mason with me from now on when I go to talk with land owners maybe that will help.

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey tree rat, i wouldn't throw in the towel. i have been hunting only public land for 7 years now. my state is freakin huge, but only 3% of it is public, and not much in my area. big $ is painfully obvious here, as you have probably seen on tv. i have to work my arse off to even see a deer, but still manage to kill a couple deer and hogs every year. most trips are as you describe, a big fat zero, but when i do stick or shoot something it's like an out of body experience. i just got back from a 4 day camping/hunting trip, and spent the majority of the time staring at scrub with birds in it. when i did get a shot at a doe, i shot right over her. i missed in bow season twice. the majority of the deer i saw were well before or after legal shooting light. it can get frustrating, but you have to stick to it. your kiddos will thank you later. i have 3 little ones i am going to be taking out there and dragging all over hell's half acre, and i know without a doubt that most of the hunts will not bring anything but tighter bonds home. all i got so far in bow season was a couple damn goats, but i am going to give it my all till the last day. keep sticking it out and giving it your best effort bud, it'll pay off eventually.

17. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    This is my first year deer hunting.... I finally got a bow a few months back. I've been giving it my best effort on the 25 (mediocre swamp land) acres I have to hunt.... But i've been wishing I had other areas to hunt. :embarassed: I have to say, this is not the most encourage thread!! :sad2: Guess I'll head back out and hope the neighbor, or "neighbors customer" hasn't shot my deer yet!! :smile2:

18. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I understand how you feel man. But the way I see it, I'd rather go out on public land and not see anything than not go out at all. I recently moved to Cincinnati after getting married, while she continues graduate school. I don't know anyone down here and no one is willing to give an outsider permission to hunt, so I've been forced to hunt public land. It turned out to be a great success for me. I have to drive nearly an hour to get to the state park that I've been hunting, but I'll have to say, one of the tricks to public land is getting out their early in the season when no one else wants to go hunting in the heat and when the rut is not even close. On October 5th, I took a respectable nine pointer on that public land when I was sitting in my treestand sweating like none other. It's definitely not the biggest buck I've taken but for a do-it-yourself hunt on public land, I have no complaints. I've posted a picture below. I'm sure you do something similar as well, but one thing I do each year is give the landowners a christmas gift, usually a gift card, so that they know how much I appreciate them allowing me to hunt and so that I will be allowed to hunt the following year. I feel bad for ya man and wish you the best of luck, but you should agree that a bad day hunting is still better than a day at work.

Attached Files:

19. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    see my whole problem is for the past 4 or five years i have not had anywhere to hunt its been so hard out by me but finally my friends grandmother found us a place and im gonna do anything possible to not lose it bcause i have a feeling its all i got untill i buy property which i have been planning on and prob wont happen for about 4 years

20. tholloway

tholloway New Member

State:
    Texas
    I hunt public land too. It stinks sometimes, but gettin out in the woods is what it is all about. I enjoy hunting as much or more than the next guy. I appreciate all that God has given us, and what our military friends and family have died for. Stay put, It will pay off.