Ready for Hawg Hunting

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by germanmudfish, Jun 16, 2008.

1. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    The little Greek woman is so good to me. Took me shopping at the local BassPro Warehouse and did not complain one time while I picked out the fathers day present. (Thank you Hallmark!!). 11' CatMaxx Heavy, Abu Garcia 6500C3 (can you say "who needs a boat?") Had it spooled with 30#Hi-Vis, it was free and I have never owned a bait caster before so it is purely sacrificial. Took it home and started lawn fishing with a 3 oz bank sinker. No bad mistakes, the instructions on adjusting the brake were very clear plus my daughter, the empress had one of her gentleman callers at the house and apparently he has been bass fishing with bait casters since he could walk. He helped a lot, (they are awful nice when they are trying to get in your good graces.) I figure a couple of more days with the grass bass and limb bream and I will be ready for the wet fishing. This site is great. BassMassey, I am ready to go after that mini-sub in the tailrace:wink:, Dreamed about him again last night so he must be there.

2. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Ronnie--I started abou three or four months ago myself with an Abu Garcia 7000C3i. Give your self a couple on months and you will be casting it like the experts--if I can anybody can. Justs be careful when/if you increase sinker weight and rembember bait weight/drag, etc. factors in, too. I could cast my sinkers like a pro at the park but when facing river conditions, wind, various live bait weights, etc. it was a different story.

I got another, much heavier rod, and another 7000. Went up to 10 ounce sinkers, 10/0 hooks, biger baits, and learned how much of an "expert" baitcaster I am! The good news is the dime size blister has healed! And I am casting the heavier sinkers/baits like my lighter rod/sinkers but it took a few weeks.

We caught a 10 pound and a 19 pound blue yesterday (me and my four year old) so we are learning. This site has been invaluable. Moreover, you are welome to contact me any time--I have learned a lot in the past few months by doing everything wrong!

John

3. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sounds like you got you some good gear. Practice and you will be flipping around logs like Bill Dance in no time with that bait caster.

let us know how your new equipment works out/feels when you land that first cat with it!

Now you need to take the empress' "gentleman callers" out and teach him the art of catfishing!

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Thanks to both of the replies. :big_smile:I have a feeling after I slipped the topped branches of the live oaks at dad's house and picked nesting wrens out of the reel for half a day, that it may be a while before I am totally confident with the rig, but I learned hunting that the quarry has to understand that there has been a change of status when hit. Those big old flatties will have to come to the same understanding. I am if nothing else confident in my ability to adapt to the current circumstances I find myself. Cool, calm and hey what is the largest size reel of mono I can get cheap, these oaks are the devil on this stuff and I figure a mile of limb losses will complete the training. :smile2::smile2: When teaching point shooting I always asked the student to bring at least 5,000 rounds to the range so 5,000 feet sounds about right.:wink:

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    whats up ronnie, let's go fishing sunday night. you are off on sunday correct? i work sunday morning but off monday. the spillway should be empty and we can line the railing up with rods. I actually picked my boat up today but it's barebones right now. still gotta get it registered, tags, rigged up, etc. as far as line for your 6500 you can get some biggame at walmart, good line for the money...unless you happen to be around basspro then i would get the ande. I have two big spools of ande, one 20# and one 30#....we can spool ya up sunday. as far as my experience I didn't like 30# line on my 6500's, i tried it and quickly went back to 20#. let me know if this sounds good.......bassmassey

6. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Let me check with Catfish and see what she says. Her mom is having surgery tomorrow and she will be occuppied with that and the empress. I'll shoot you a PM after I talk to her in the morning.