Ready for '07-'08 season??

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by CoonX, Jun 16, 2007.

1. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Is any body getting ready for the upcoming trapping season??
    Thinking about trying for mainly coon, and might set out some for fox and cats.
    Will

2. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I am working on new land to trap. I have gotten over 6,000 more acers so far. Gooboy is setting me up with over 10,000 for fox and cat. After the crash on everything except long hairs I am going to stick with the fox, cat and coyotes.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm just waitin, been havin a time rebuildin the house .But I'm most defenitely ready, just need a weekend or so to get things togather,

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol, nope ......last season my K9 traps got dyed & waxed the day prior to season opening.

Smitty

5. flathead jack

flathead jack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well, we don't sell fur and stuff but trap and let our Walker Ol' Mac chase em down and crunch every bone in their body.

I will say I enjoy Coon huntin and have seen one cyote in 3 years here.

Last year, our buddy had a coon problem. They was gettin in his goat feed, so we came up ans set 2 traps. well...in a 2 week period, we caught 14 coons and 6 possums. YEA!!!!

WE had some characters in that bunch. We caught 3 coons in 2 traps. 2 in one trap lol. An old sow had 3 legs and blind eye and a big boer coon had 1 ear and a nice scar on his face. Good Times.....

P.S. - We used peanut butter in spicey anchovie dishes...YUMMY COON SECRET!

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    im gettin ready for my first season. just got a couple things today. dont got alot of land to trap on but i get my drivers license in september and ill be damned if im not out askin around the first day i get it:big_smile:. ive got about 90 acres to trap on. mostly coons and coyotes and maybe a fox every once in awhile. but i cant trap as much as id like until i get some more land because thats my main huntin grounds and i dont wanna mess the balance up to much.

7. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Jay, make sure you always ask in a respectful way. There are lots of folks out there that do not like trappers. Never act rude to those people even when they say no. It may surprise you what may come your way from those same people who say no today. I talked to a man yesterday who has over 1000 acres. He is so excited that I want to trap his property, he can’t wait to meet me. He is going to show me the area and show me where he has seen bobcat and fox over the past few years. Always ask for permission to access any land and also, dress nice and speak clear and knowledgeable. I have yet to ask a land owner for permission to trap his property that he did not have a pile of questions for me. From what type of traps to how do you dispatch? The more knowledge you have the easier it is to get permission.

8. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    WOW...didnt know this section was here. I have been a fur harvester for 30 years just like my dad and grand dad! I am always ready for the season as i trap year round; ADC that is. I got 2 beaver jobs and a coyote job going now. Look forward to compareing notes and stories this up-comeing season. Any beginners need help with anything...just holler!

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC Shane ,glad you're here.

10. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    Thanx 223.....I been here for a while; just didnt know there was a trapping section!

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yea welcome Shane! That is what makes this so great a place(The B.O.C.) just about any hobby you might have is covered...if not start you can start one.

12. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As the season draws nearer more will be on this part of the site . Don't forget to check around as they have state as well as national trappers conventions in the off season . You can buy all your supplys without paying for the shipping . The National Trappers Assoc annual is in Goshen Indiana ( first weekend in August )this year and Mason city Iowa next year . Once you meet a few folks at these it becomes like a family reunion .

Pete

13. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well im gettin there....

i got all my traps together... i need to buy more snaring stuff...

but i plan on Fox and coons... mainly coons tho... here very very soon im gona go out lookin for more land... cuz right now i dont have that big of a area... but i sure learned alot thorugh my first season.. and i love trapping it is great!.........

plan on gettin most of my traps and trapping stuff at the NTA convention next month! im bringin plenty of $$ so ill be able to get anything i want/need... : )

14. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ditto on the welcome Shane (lol, atleast to the Trapping Forum) !

Smitty