Reading water temp from the bank ??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SangamonCatKiller, Feb 14, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Any one know of a device that can help me to read the water temp from the bank. I know they make fishfinders for the bank but I really don't want to go that route as I already pack a heavy load. Would an average thermometer work? I would like some kind of way to tell when the water is near pre spawn temp and when it nears spawn temp etc. Any help with this is much appreciated.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Nick, yea you can read the water temp with a regular thermometer. Keep in mind that in shallow water you will most likely be getting a surface temp reading. Also the longer the thermometer stays under the water the more accurate the reading will be. Vern

3. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    yeah Ive got one the size of a pencil in like a weighted metal case with a clip ring on one end, to this clip is some 60 yards of braid, I whistle it up round my ears and over my head and into the margins or over the boat to where I want to fish.

Aint had no takes of it yet though:confused:

some days if the water temperature is not right, I turn around and head for home.

Mind you,

Every day fishing is one extra day in you life

4. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    The fly fishing guys use one in a metal protective case for reading water temperatures, ask google about fly fishing thermometers :)

For different depths, hang it under a slip bobber and reel it in and read it fast.

5. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Thanks guys. I thought a regular thermometer would work but, wasnt sure. I will probably just use on of those then, thanks.

6. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would use caution throwing a thermometer in the water for fear of it breaking and introducing mercury to the environment.

7. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I thought it was illegal to make thermometers with mercury now???

Great idea though, I have never really thought about the temps when fishing. I usually go by how the air temp has been the prevoius days leading up to the fishing.

Ray

8. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Since the 1970's, Mercury has been out lawed. It is no longer legal to use mercury in thermometers. Now, they use alcohal which they die red to look like mercury. The only place mercury is still used today is in something that you are currently staring at, that's right, it's your monitor!!! It helps to display the color. Hope this helps!!!

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    rainman... i think that the amount of mercury in one thermometer is too insignificant to even really effect 10 gallons of water let alone a pond/lake etc... (atleast based on the 4 inche long aquirium thermometers that i see and use)...

You could always buy a cheapy rod and reel and an aquirium thermometer and ducttape a swivel or some other means to hold the line to it and cast around the area... The good thing about them is that they float so you know around about where the temp you got is from.

10. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    SangamonCatKiller,

I'm sure you're aware of the USGS's websites that give real-time stream flow data from all over the country. The Sangamon River there in IL has three or four gages on it. See link below. I didn't see where any of these gaging stations had temperature, but some do. I think here in IN, River Scum contacted the USGS via an email from the webpage and asked if they would put temperature on. They did, so now we can check water temps on the web when we check stream flow. If River Scum doesn't chime in, it might be worth it to PM him & see what he did.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/il/nwis/current/?type=flow

11. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Thanks for the information brothers.It is a never ending "river" of information.

12. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Nick, I have a castable thermometer that is designed for exactly what you want. It will also tell you the water depth. I will see if I can find it and send it to you. Its yours as I fish from a boat 99% of the time.

13. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Chuck, you are the man!! I would really appreciate that. Let me know if you find it, I would be willing to pay something for it.

14. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    I think I got it from Basspro but I can't find it anywhere on the website and don't remember the name of it. I will look for it tonight when I get home.

15. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Thanks Chuck. Very much appreciated.

16. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Hey, chuck...did you have any luck finding that ? If not let me know where I can find a similar item so that I can use it this spring!! Thanks!

17. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Just found it a little while ago. Its a Vexilar Deptherm. PM me your address and I will mail it to you Nick.:cool:

18. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Chuck, I sent you a p.m. Thank you very much!!!:worship: :worship: