Reading water level data

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by kindofsudden, Feb 6, 2007.

1. kindofsudden

kindofsudden New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Help me decipher this... I live a distance from the Ohio River and don't want to waste a trip down there. Obviously this data is for the Markland Dam on the Ohio River with a flood stage of 51 feet. I see that the latest level is 15.6 feet at 1PM on February 6. I see forecasts for the next several days, but I don't know what those columns represent. 12Z? 18Z? Can anyone help out?

:MARKLAND DAM - OHIO RIVER
    :FLOOD STAGE 51.0
    :
    :LATEST STAGE 15.6 FT AT 1300Z ON 0206
    .ER MKLK2 20070206 Z DC200702061405/DH18/HTIFF/DIH6
    :QPF FCST 12Z 18Z 0Z 6Z
    .E1 :0206: / 15.6/ 15.3/ 15.1
    .E2 :0207:/ 14.9/ 14.7/ 14.6/ 14.6
    .E3 :0208:/ 14.5/ 14.4/ 14.3/ 14.2
    .E4 :0209:/ 14.2/ 14.1/ 14.1/ 14.0
    .E5 :0210:/ 13.9/ 13.9/ 13.8/ 13.8
    .E6 :0211:/ 13.7

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    can u post the link that u got that at? might make it easier. but that is showing the levels dropping over some period of time. which means it will be easier to get on, but fish might not bite as well (they tend to like rising water) the link will help alot!

3. kindofsudden

kindofsudden New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Got it here:
    http://www.lrd-wc.usace.army.mil/text/pubstage.txt

Living in Indy and being new to the Ohio, I need to make sure when I go down there I am not wasting my time (or my boat!).

Max, you and I still have to get down there when the water isn't deadly.

Any help on the water data is appreciated.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    It would seem from what you said in your first post that you have it down.
    The 4 vertical columns 12Z 18Z 0Z 6Z refer to Zulu Time which is Greenwich Mean Time, (24 hour clock) which is 5 or 6 hours ahead of us. Take no notice of the Z's just look at the numbers that tell you if the river is rising, stable or falling. Hope that helps...W

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    OK, the river is holding stable and not high. Which means you should definately be able to get on it. It is holding steady with little fluctuation so hopefully the fish will be biting. Once again, if you fish the dam, be careful and take your time. if you are nervous back off, but with it being at pool it shouldn't be rushing out too bad, you should be able to get up in there and fish. Also, take some smaller bass fishing poles and jigs, the sauger should start running soon and they stack up at the dam, so if the cats aren't biting go after them! If you are interested there is a little bait shop in kentucky right across the dam that always has good info on what is being caught and how. Let me know if you want directions. But once again; you should be good to go!!!

What weekend you planning on going??? I might be back home for a weekend sometime soon and i plan on doing some fishing and we will DEFINATELY have to get out and chase some big blues here soon!!!

Let me know if you need any other info and I will try to find it out. Contact vlparrish or ka_c4_boom and ask them how the fishing is, tell them i sent ya :cool2: They fish the area all the time and can always find some fish so they might be able to help better than me.

also, u can call 513-651-0115. that will tell you the level at Cincinnati. while not deadly accurate down here it can give you an idea about how the river is looking. It is normal at 29 feet on there. I think it is at 28 right now when i just called.

6. moore42420

moore42420 New Member

State:
    Henderson, KY
    I like using the NOAA's website for the ohio conditions. You can go up stream or downstream and see current dam info and a few other places that have the guages also. The information is updated reguarly and gives 10 days of data. The past three days and and six days in advance. Here is the link to the Markland Dam water level.

Markland Dam Water Level

7. kindofsudden

kindofsudden New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the other river level web site, I like that one better.

This is my busy time of year, so I can typically only get away on weekdays. I will post if it looks like I am taking a trip down there. Definitely need to get together and get some fights going.

Any tips on how to put some of those saugers into the boat? Or where to fish for them exactly?

8. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?03277200

Here's one that updates every hour, and has a graph of gage height and precipitation for up to the previous 31 days. The graph gives you a good look at current and past conditions, so you can see instantly if its rising, falling, or steady. You can switch reports to data table as well.

Dennis