Reading the River and the Army Corps Web

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cpalombo, May 5, 2007.

1. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I went out last week and the river was "at flood stage" (bait store guy was my source). Once there, I realized that I could not find fish as they were too spread out with all the extra water. I came back wanting to take a pre fishing read of the water.

I went to http://mvs-wc.mvs.usace.army.mil/dresriv.html (thanks BOC for pointing me there) and found very useful data on the level of the water. But I need some direction on how to apply it in a practical way. Here are my questions...

Right now, the Miss river at several locations is between 92% and 101% of flood stage. The MO rives is a bit lower at 75% to 82%. What I would like to know is how you all apply this. My question, "at what percent flood according to the army corps would an experienced catfish angler decide that the river is too high to fish?" I assume that at something less than 100% flood stage, guys start thinking that the fish are too spread out. What is that percent?

Another way to apply this... I assume that 101% of flood stage on the Army Corps website means that in real life, the water has just breached the water line, and have just flooded the vegetation. Is this true? Is some value less than 100% the point at which these rivers flood vegetation? Is it more?

Thanks,
    CP

2. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Or yet another way that I might ask this... How do you all use the Army Corps site in your decisions about where (below wing dams, above flats, etc) and how to fish (bring the extra weights, stay away from suspended fish, etc)???

That is a big set of questions. Thanks for sharing how.

CP

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I try not to complicate things too much. I dont worry so much with the actual river level as I do what the river is doing. Is it on a rise, a fall, or is it being held at a steady pool. The catfish have fairly predictable habit patterns based on the movement of the water column. My opinion is this. Fast Rise, the fish go shallow and scatter making them hard to target. Fast Fall, initially a very poor bite, followed by a good bite in the deep holes a few days after the water has receeded. Steady pool, target the fish in the deep holes in the heat of the day and target the flats at night time as the fish will move out of the holes to feed. Use all of the resources you have to get a good idea of what the fish are doing. This Web Board will tell you when there is a hot bite. You will know this by the number of members posting about their catches. Within the next 3 weeks you will see a really hot Flat Head Bite. (Trust me) :wink: Water needs another 8 degrees and its ON!!!! The Blues will start feeding as soon as the river stabilizes. Its going to be awhile for folks to catch large numbers of them. You will see some Big Blues caught this time of year though. Shane's dad just hit a 71 pound fish, and I've seen reports of several 50's, and a couple 60's. Good Luck and Good Fishing.

You might want to start keeping a fishing log. Things like time of day, barometer, weather conditions, temperature, water temperature and so on. After a couple of years, you will definitely notice some trends in your fishing techniques which will allow you to maximize your time on the water and make it productive.

4. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Cuz,

That is very useful. Thank you.

Also, I will start a fishing log.

CP