read me

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kycatman84, Sep 28, 2005.

1. kycatman84

kycatman84 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ok i have a story and then some queastions.. today i desided to try to catch a few channel cats so i grabed my bluegille rig for bait and my cat rig, I went down to the river and used hot dogs to try and catch some bluegille with no luck so i desided to just use the hot dogs as cat bait. well long story short my cat rig messed up so i said what the heak and threw a piece of hot dog on the bluegille rig with a small bober and cast out and let it drift down, my bobber dissapeard ans i gave the little pole with 6 lb test a tug and line started screaming off. after about 25 mins i landed a 18 lb flat head.. suprise suprise...after that not another bite... now for the queastions.. does this sound like a good place for channels?.. its a sand bar on the outside bend of a SMALL river going down to about 8 ft of water with snags above and below it, about a mile above the spot and 1/3 mile below the the spot are shallow white water areas. seems like it would be good to me but i have VERRY limeted can experance so i dont know. Now for bait.. we all know that fish eat fish so i do belive that benny roberts sure shot punch bait has fish parts in it, so would it be a good bait choice for small river channel cats? thanks for any comments or sugestions..

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Youd be surprised how big a fish a flathead that size can eat. Channels would be on the menu. Sounds like a good spot to fish and if your not catching them there just try right before or right below the riffle. You never know where theyre going to be.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    kycatman I do believe I would spent more time fishing that hole. May catch a nice one there.

4. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Catman, try using chicken livers. I always sun cure mine so they stay on the hook better! I would also use thread to keep them on too! This is my sure fire bait for eating size channels. ;) That's wild that the flathead hit the hotdog. Sounds like a good spot!! Good Luck Brother!!

5. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Awsome spot . man catching a monster on that light rig is the best. A true fight. Hot dogs are a good bait for anything it seems.

6. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    hey eshale thats a great catch brother, but i would worry about on thing if you are catching flatties around that spot and where looking to catch channels i know that a flattie that size would run those lil channels right out of there. I would just move around try a spot for 45 mins or so and move down are up what every tickles your pickle...lol. Good luck and great catch

7. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Man that advise works for any fishin hole. I have yet to catch my first flatty , unless snappers cought.

8. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would say the reason that you didnt catch any bluegill is the flats have already done that for you, I would find a good bluegill hole and head right back to that spot with the big pole this time. Bet ya there are some bigger ones in there.

9. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Lived in Iowa for 8 years om life small town called New london in Henry County. Loved fishing Lake Geode and Lake Darling. Are they still nice spots?